Remapping the C550 music button

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Thought of posting a separate thread for this trick...

Took me forever and a half to figure out how to bypass what I used to think as a ‘hard-coded’ feature / registry setup. Well, it wasn’t hard-coded at all, its not even on the registry. Presented below are instructions on how to re-assign / remap the C550 (HTC Hurricane) media player quick launch button to TCPMP (formerly BetaPlayer)

mptweak4wu.gif

Target Device: Orange C550 (not sure if it will work on other music phones)

Important reminder:

The trick will only work on fully application and registry-unlocked device. You might want to check SDA Unlocker before proceeding with the instructions.

Instructions:

1. Choose Orange music player as player type. You do it via Start > Settings > Button settings. I will try to automate this soon so that there will be no more manual selecting of Orange media player. Check Post #131 below for the automated CAB files (inside OrangePlayer.zip)

snap0275ah.jpg

2. Download Copy Files utility by mossywell:

http://www.mossywell.com/downloads/#CopyFiles

3. You may also use this ZIP file. Install the CABs to \Phone (not the Storage Card)

C550.MP.Tweak.zip

Inside the ZIP file…

- Install ‘CopyFiles.cab’ (same CAB from instruction 2)

- Install ‘MP.Tweak.SD.CAB’ if you have TCPMP on your Storage Card ...OR

- Use ‘MP.Tweak.Phone.CAB’ if you have TCPMP on your phone (\Storage)

*** Please take note that the 2 MP Tweak CABs above are for TCPMP. You may experience problems with BetaPLayer as it used different installation directory compared to the newer TCPMP version.

3. Restart device (very important)

Demo Video: Click Me

By the way, you can use the C550’s Play/Pause button to play/pause your TCPMP video. And oh, it will survive a restart. Many thanks to Mark (aka mossywell of MoDaCo).

Have fun! ;)

Guest mini_man

any chance of mapping the other play pause buttons as they open media player as well, i would like to use them just as play pause buttons, not opening wmp.

Guest avdl1999
any chance of mapping the other play pause buttons as they open media player as well, i would like to use them just as play pause buttons, not opening wmp.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi

I've followed the above instructions and the buttons are mapped correctly.

However, i recently removed 'parts' of the Orange music player from the file system and i think this might have had negative effects to your process. Do you think that is likely?

Because whenever i press any music key orange player trys to open but i keep getting annoying pop ups "Unable to register" and something or other.

Thanks

Andy

Guest gerbensnl

Great to finally be able to remap the buttons. I'm sure the hack works, unfortunately it doesn't for me. I seem to be having problems with the first step, as 'button settings' is not available on my phone (god knows why).

Here is a picture of the menu, where according to descriptions the option should be located: butt.jpg

Does anyone know why I am missing the 'button settings' option?

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think once the music button is linked to another player, the rest of the buttons (play/pause etc) will launch the 'other' player. You can disable these buttons though but that would be a different story.

http://www.gpcarreon.com/?p=158

Does anyone know why I am missing the 'button settings' option?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you check the following on your registry?

Open:

HKCU\ControlPanel\Keyboard\ChaoticomPlayerEnable

If ChaoticomPlayerEnable = 1 , Orange Player will be the one launched on music button access

If ChaoticomPlayerEnable = 0 , WMP will be the one loaded

Since you don't have the option to choose the player under Settings, maybe you can do it by hand using the registry info I posted.

Remember to restart the device after tweaking.

Welcome to MoDaCo. ;)

Guest avdl1999
Hi

I've followed the above instructions and the buttons are mapped correctly.

However, i recently removed 'parts' of the Orange music player from the file system and i think this might have had negative effects to your process. Do you think that is likely?

Because whenever i press any music key orange player trys to open but i keep getting annoying pop ups "Unable to register" and something or other.

Thanks

Andy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi

Ive left it a few days and decided on a hard reset to re-install orange player!

I then had to de-cert (FULLY) from scratch using the very helpful guide from gpcarreon,thank you btw. I then installed TCPMP, followed all advice, again from gpcarreon (the mans a genius!, are you borderline mad? ;) ) and finally got a decent, fully functioning music player with all the music keys correctly mapped!

PHEW!! lol

I've only had this phone since Xmas and smartphone ownership is new territory to me. What have i done? lol :shock: NO MORE NOKIA'S!!

Thanks for providing a great place to visit!

Best wishes

Andy

Guest mini_man

its a gr8 use, but the thing im wanting is to disable the media play/forward/back keys from linking to the designated media player. I want to just use them for every media player instead of opening another. its a bit annoying as my mates keep pushing these buttons while in tcpmp (i use wmp for music so have kept the media key the same) and it keeps opening up media player.

Guest Bokkiej
I think once the music button is linked to another player, the rest of the buttons (play/pause etc) will launch the 'other' player. You can disable these buttons though but that would be a different story.

Open:

If ChaoticomPlayerEnable = 1 , Orange Player will be the one launched on music button access

Since you don't have the option to choose the player under Settings, maybe you can do it by hand using the registry info I posted.

Welcome to MoDaCo. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't have either the option in the Menu or the registry key :D Any idea how to solve this little problem? The Registry Editor has searched for the registry key for me but it isn't anywhere in my registry.

Great tool btw, just too bad it doesn't work (yet) for me

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)
I don't have either the option in the Menu or the registry key ;) Any idea how to solve this little problem? The Registry Editor has searched for the registry key for me but it isn't anywhere in my registry.

Great tool btw, just too bad it doesn't work (yet) for me

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting to note that some C550s doesn't have the Chaoticom registry keys. Anyway, you can try the CAB files on the ZIP attachment. It wll create the registry keys for you. Note however that it will only work on fully reg and app-unlocked C550.

OrangePlayer.zip

Use the appropriate CAB installer. 'OrangePlayerOn.cab' to enable Orange Player. Remember to restart device after installation then proceed with the tweak.

Guest D J Fryer
its a gr8 use, but the thing im wanting is to disable the media play/forward/back keys from linking to the designated media player. I want to just use them for every media player instead of opening another. its a bit annoying as my mates keep pushing these buttons while in tcpmp (i use wmp for music so have kept the media key the same) and it keeps opening up media player.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Strange? I followed the instructions to the letter - now if TCPMP is closed any of the media buttons opens it. If it is open all of the media buttons work within TCPMP as they should (albeit that I had to map these using TCPMP's own Settings under Hot Keys.

None of the media keys open any other media player installed on my C550 now.

Is that what you want it to do?

Scratch the above - I think you are wanting to be able to use the media keys in 'any' player you have open on the phone and that is what this doesn't do. Does TCPMP not handle all the files you would want to listen to/view?

Guest Bokkiej
Interesting to note that some C550s doesn't have the Chaoticom registry keys. Anyway, you can try the CAB files on the ZIP attachment. It wll create the registry keys for you. Note however that it will only work on fully reg and app-unlocked C550.

OrangePlayer.zip

Use the appropriate CAB installer. 'OrangePlayerOn.cab' to enable Orange Player. Remember to restart device after installation then proceed with the tweak.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even more interesting to know that it still doesn't work. Adding the registry key posed no problem, I've checked this by opening the registry key. The Music Player link is in the storage\program files\mossywell\copy files directory and it does link to the right file. It is copied (every startup) to the windows directory, and this file does link to the right TCPMP file (checked it through file manager, if I open it TCPMP opens). So far, so good but it doesn't work so.... somehow my music button doesn't seem to be linked to the Music Player.lnk file or something. Any ideas? My phone is Dutch, is it possible that this is a problem? How can I find out how I have to do this?

Guest gerbensnl

Open:

Welcome to MoDaCo. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I checked my regs, and the value is 1. But the problem I am experiencing might excist because I do not have Orange Player installed. Could that be the cause? If so, does anyone have a installer/.cab of Orange Player so I do not have to do a full reset of the phone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mbriody

Finally got this to work!

I have discovered that you must install the two CAB's to the phone rather than Storage Card or it doesn't work. If you install to card you don't get the message about resetting.

Might be worth adding that to the instructions.

Anyway thanks for the utility, very useful.