MAJOR soft reset problem

Guest theyeti

Guest theyeti

Hi folks

Ive had this device for 12 hours now, and in that period, ive been forced to hard-reset TWICE - both times AFTER spending many hours installing apps and setting it up to my preference, and JUST BEFORE I could backup the damn thing,

I'd like to know if any of you are suffering from this same problem: a soft-reset that results in the system failing to reboot, leaving it hanging on the boot screen. Further soft-boots do nothing. Only a hard reset makes the device usable again

very frustrating indeed. I'm not sure whther to exchange it for a replacement, or sod the the damn thing, and demand a refund.

Any input ill be appreciated

cheers

theyeti

Guest jtolenti

I've had to hard reset 3 times so far.

- after setting a ringtone with vibrate mode + calling the phone

- activatinq voice command, while windows media is running

- voice command w/ sync

Guest theyeti
I've had to hard reset 3 times so far.

- after setting a ringtone with vibrate mode + calling the phone

- activatinq voice command, while windows media is running

- voice command w/ sync

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ive reached my third hard reset now, unbelievable!

1st one: - after installing Tennis Addict game .. it asked me to soft reset

2nd: - no apparant reason, the phone's backlight went off after 2 mins of activity, i pressed a button to switch it back on. it didnt, so i soft reset and it never recovered.

3rd: - removed battery in order to swap sims. it never booted.

I guess i wont be asking for a replacement

theyeti

Guest Pondrew

Not hard reset at all here after a month of ownership.

Expect the key is that I've only been installing software I know is WM5 compatible.

@jtolenti, I understood Microsoft Voice Command was officially incompatible with WM5? Has that changed?

@theyeti, Tennis Addict isn't a new Pocket PC game and I very much doubt it would be WM5 compatible.

I know it sucks guys but if you don't know it works on WM5 and don't want to risk a hard reset then don't install it! It's the very reason I've kept my MDA III and not just sold it straight on...

Guest Pondrew
2nd: - no apparant reason, the phone's backlight went off after 2 mins of activity, i pressed a button to switch it back on. it didnt, so i soft reset and it never recovered.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah. Now I have had this although not for weeks. I put it down to either the SPB Gprs Monitor (since uninstalled) or a rogue setting (I remember seeing a backlight off after x inactivity setting that sounded like it might have caused it). But in my case the device was still displaying with the backlight off so I just navigated to Settings / Backlight and turned it up again (it had set to off).

Remember folks, hard resets are a LAST resort. Ask for help on here and you might just save your settings.

Guest theyeti
Expect the key is that I've only been installing software I know is WM5 compatible.

@theyeti, Tennis Addict isn't a new Pocket PC game and I very much doubt it would be WM5 compatible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pondrew,

thank you for responding. According to wm5fixsite.com ( http://www.wm5fixsite.com/index.php?option...d=234&Itemid=31 ) Tennis Addict is compatable with WM5.

Either way, I installed it only that 1 time.

I'm now going to hard-soft reset before the T-Mobile junk installs. I hope it makes a difference.

cheers

theyeti

Guest theyeti
Pondrew,

thank you for responding. According to wm5fixsite.com ( http://www.wm5fixsite.com/index.php?option...d=234&Itemid=31 ) Tennis Addict is compatable with WM5.

Either way, I installed it only that 1 time.

I'm now going to hard-soft reset before the T-Mobile junk installs. I hope it makes a difference.

cheers

theyeti

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well that was a total waste of time! set it all up, seemed ok, but having jsut swapped the SIM, its refusing to boot. Grrr!

Guest monkeynotes
I put it down to either the SPB Gprs Monitor (since uninstalled) or a rogue setting (I remember seeing a backlight off after x inactivity setting that sounded like it might have caused it). But in my case the device was still displaying with the backlight off so I just navigated to Settings / Backlight and turned it up again (it had set to off).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, GPRS monitor cocks up the backlight setting if you try and use the GPRS monitor backlight adjuster. Basically you have to hold the device up to a bright light source so you can see what is displaying on the screen and navigate to Settings>system>backlight and turn it up. Stupid GPRS mon.

As for my hard reset cound, I think I have done it about 3 times. Mainly because I installed non WM5 progs which caused problems. Once I did a hard reset and soft before extended ROM came in but I ended up installing half of the extended ROM stuff manually because a lot of it is quite useful eg. SmartDialer

Guest awarner [MVP]

Since uninstalling the GPRS monitor that came with my vario I have seen a vast improvement and soft resets etc.

I know this is not the wizard section but the GPRS monito os more than likely the same version.

Guest dave106
Doesn't holding the power button down on a Pocket PC put the backlight back on / off?

Don't have one here to test ;)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On wm2003 it does. with wm5 that will bring up a prompt asking you if you want to turn the phone off. just tapping the button is the same though, will put it in standby.

Guest brykins
On wm2003 it does. with wm5 that will bring up a prompt asking you if you want to turn the phone off. just tapping the button is the same though, will put it in standby.

On my MDA Compact II, a quick press of the power button puts it into "normal" standby. A long press brings up a screen asking if I want to turn the unit off - I can't turn the backlight off using the power button at all.

Off thing is - if I do the long press to turn the phone off, when I press the power again to turn it on, it goes through a soft reset. The long power press is almost like a delayed soft reset......

Guest Pondrew
Off thing is - if I do the long press to turn the phone off, when I press the power again to turn it on, it goes through a soft reset. The long power press is almost like a delayed soft reset......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the device booting up. Same as the way a Smartphone has to go through the boot screens after being turned on...

Guest theyeti

You were right. After some extensive testing, ive finally unearthed the culprit - SPB Pocket Plus... without it, device re-boots without trouble.

thanks for all your help

theyeti

Guest brykins
You were right. After some extensive testing, ive finally unearthed the culprit - SPB Pocket Plus... without it, device re-boots without trouble.

That's the "Safe Mode" - if you deactivate that after installing SPB Pocket Plus but before rebooting then everything works fine.

Most issues that I've seen seem to have been answered ... including the backlight getting set to zero - which 've had too. Seems to me no 3rd party app seems able to control wm5 brightness correctly.

Only other thought - I think it has been a bug in most pocket PCs that changing the battery can loose you everything - even if the internal battery is charged