SPV M2000 latest rom update WM10 - I've found it

Guest coldwave87

Guest coldwave87

Good news, good news. At last, I have found the latest rom update from orange with WM10 for SPV M2000. I am so happy. Here's the detail for latest rom:

Operator version: 5.40.1.179

Rom version: 1.40.00 WWE

Rom Date: 03/10/05

Radio verion: 1.06.02

Protocol version: 1337.38

ExtROM version: 1.40.179 WWE

;) :D :D :D :D :D

Guest coldwave87

Of, course it is from an offical orange website. I have forgot where I found it , but it is definetely real office orange rom. I will do another search for it and let you know shortly.

Edited by coldwave87

Guest wheresalan

Hi Guys,

I believe this is it:

>>Webpage;)

I'm just downloading it now. I'll let you all know how I get on.

Fingers crossed this is all what we have been waiting for.

Al

:D

Edited by Disco Stu

Has anyone tried this yet? Are there release notes or a readme with listed changes to figure out if it's worth the effort? I don't use WM9 or WM10, so that doesn't interest me! ;)

Guest zarquon

I had found this just over a week ago but I was trying it out before I posted information.

Things I have found so far:

I backed up my data using Active-sync before I did the upgrade. When I restored my setup WM10 wouldn't play wmv files, which it would before the restore. Actually it wouldn't find any thing it could play.

Having done a hard reset I decided to create a new partnership and move all the files around manually and reinstall all the software I wanted, smartfall, pocket streets, wisbar, and the intelidialer (when I can find it)

It seams slower than the last ROM that was on the website which was in turn slower than the one before that. This could be wisbar, it does slow the machine down but I wouldn’t be without it, I find it makes the machine much more usable.

It does have Bluetooth build 3900 which is my main reason for keeping it for the time being.

The other thing I have found is it sometimes fails to connect to WAP, either ‘remote modem disconnected’ or ‘no modem found’ error. Soft reset fixes this.

Good news, good news. At last, I have found the latest rom update from orange with WM10 for SPV M2000. I am so happy. Here's the detail for latest rom:

Operator version: 5.40.1.179

Rom version: 1.40.00 WWE

Rom Date: 03/10/05

Radio verion: 1.06.02

Protocol version: 1337.38

ExtROM version: 1.40.179 WWE

;)  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's now on the regular UK Orange Web Site

http://www2.orange.co.uk/servlet/Satellite...=Product#answer

I see someone has had some problem after installing this update - has anyone else installed it? Any comments?

Guest Ceilidh
I see someone has had some problem after installing this update - has anyone else installed it?  Any comments?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had a minor problem installing this - but I knew I was taking the risk in doing it anyway.

I did everything it said before running the setup program. Unplugged the phone, soft-reset it (using the reset switch), and replugged it into the cradle. Ran the setup... and it seemed to hang for 20 mins. The phone screen had turned the backlight off and was displaying "USB v2.02", and that was it.

I decided to risk it after a short while to CTRL+ALT+DEL on my PC, unplug the phone and End Task the setup program (Can't remember the names off the top of my head, but I used the Processes tab, not the Applications one).

Re-plugged in the phone, re-ran the setup... and 10 minutes later I have WMP 10 goodness and my phone's working ^^ I'd made manual backups earlier for all my vital files (Today screen theme, ringtones, etc) and just replaced them back manually.

Thus far all is good ;) Let's hope this resolves the speaker cutout problem as well. That was annoying.

Guest MadcapMagician
When I restored my setup WM10 wouldn't play wmv files, which it would before the restore.

WMV files? Mine has NEVER been able to play files with that extension, only WMA.

Try changing the extension. Windows'll ask if you're sure you want to but just click "yes" - it'll work fine.

I updated my Orange M2000 to this patch yesterday and it appears to be OK. I make a few calls on my headset this morning and the Bluetooth seams a little better, maybe it was my imagination but i through the line connection sounded a litle clearer? (Orange G2 Headset)

Interestingly before this update if i used the bluetooth headset then disabled Bluetooth and this attmpted to make a call I would get the problem with the speaker failing to engage. I tried it first thing this morning after the update and it called fine so no reboot was needed. Need to try this a bit more to make sure but it looks like an improvement.

I have had a few problems connecting to GPRS, it has reported that it dialed but con't connect for an 'unspecified reason' which is helpful. Soft reboot sorts it out but i never had this problem on the last ROM.

WM player 10 is good

On the whole its probably a little slower than the last ROM

Guest Ceilidh

I've got to say, (touch wood) I've not had the speaker problem since the update. That's almost a full week without needing a soft reset, which is a ruddy record. It was getting to the point where I needed to reset every day, which was a pain when people were trying to ring me. I just had to tell them I'd ring them back and hope they heard me before I reset the phone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chimpanzee

Sorry to be a bit dense but what does this update actually give you? Windows Mobile 5 or Windows Media Mobile 10 or both.

Is the operating system actually the same as is found on the M5000 and alike?

Guest Pondrew
Sorry to be a bit dense but what does this update actually give you? Windows Mobile 5 or Windows Media Mobile 10 or both.

Is the operating system actually the same as is found on the M5000 and alike?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This, the latest Orange SPV M2000 rom, from memory is rom version 1.30 and as such isn't as upto date as the T-Mobile and O2 Blue Angel roms (version 1.42 and 1.40 respectively). EDIT: My mistake, sounds like it's the same as the O2 XDA IIs rom which is version 1.40

This IS NOT a Windows Mobile 5 rom for the Blue Angel and is an older build (compared with the T-Mobile one anyway) of Windows Mobile 2003SE.

There is STILL no official WM5 rom (note the official bit, no discussion of unofficial roms please), if there was an official (read STABLE) build I'd be sticking with the HTC Blue Angel and selling the HTC Charmer (MDA Compact II)

EDIT: And yep, like the thread says, this includes WMP10.

Edited by Pondrew

Guest Chimpanzee

I've just installed the update and everything went fine! No, really, it did!

One problem with WMP tho is that with some artists it just won't accept the fact that i have songs on there; it will display the artist's name but when that is tapped on there are no songs displayed. I have tried the 'Update Library' tool to no avail.

Guest Shaunfarris

Hi

I've had the latest Orange ROM update installed for a week now. Everything installed great no problems.

However I have a lot of problems with GPRS not able to connect, which I have put down to the fact that my signal strength has been reduced.

When at home indoors I use to get 2 bars on the display, I'm lucky to get 1 with this ROM version.

Anyone else noticed a drop in signal strength???

And is there and reason for it??

Shaun

Guest Shaunfarris

Has anyone else experienced GPRS issues recently.

I just wonder as I never use to, so I have put it down to the ROM update, but I have heard Orange have switched on their EDGE service in the last week............could this have an influence

Guest Chimpanzee
Is the content protected? Because that behaviour sounds consistent with the songs needing a licence...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope. Just MP3s ripped from CDs using WinAmp. I've never had any problems with them before.

Has anyone else experienced GPRS issues recently.

I just wonder as I never use to, so I have put it down to the ROM update, but I have heard Orange have switched on their EDGE service in the last week............could this have an influence

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny you should mention it; i started having problems with it today. A soft reset sorted it though.

Guest RussellH

Hi Chaps,

I've been reading through these posts and can't make up my mind whether to apply this update to my M2000. Most people seem happy with it, and it also appears to resolve the sound issue. Two questions really:- Are those who applied the update glad they did? Also, I'm still running the original software from when I bought the phone. Can I apply this straight away, or do I have to update in stages?

Thanks for your help,

Best wishes,

Russell

Guest Ceilidh
Hi Chaps,

I've been reading through these posts and can't make up my mind whether to apply this update to my M2000.  Most people seem happy with it, and it also appears to resolve the sound issue.  Two questions really:- Are those who applied the update glad they did?  Also, I'm still running the original software from when I bought the phone.  Can I apply this straight away, or do I have to update in stages?

Thanks for your help,

Best wishes,

Russell

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can honestly say I'm glad I installed it (despite the rigmarole surrounding it, where the install crashed partway through - but I blame my computer, it's not the best at intensive jobs like that), and would recommend anyone to do the same. As for applying it, yup, it'll upgrade from any previous version (as essentially, it's wiping the phone's ROM and re-writing it with the new ROM image.)

Guest Chimpanzee

Me too. It's worth it just for the latest versionof WMP!

Not all of the problems are fixed but i haven't really noticed any new ones (apart from having difficulty connecting to Orange email- but i think it might have done that before :S ??)

Guest its_millertime22
WMV files? Mine has NEVER been able to play files with that extension, only WMA.

Try changing the extension. Windows'll ask if you're sure you want to but just click "yes" - it'll work fine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course it plays WMV files! All pocket pc's can play videos and play them WELL!