Vario reboots randomly :-(

Guest bindaas

Guest bindaas

Hello,

Does anyone with a Vario find it randomly reboots? Mine sitting there on my desk, all of a sudden reboots for no reason! It happens roughly 2-3 times a week and I have no idea why. I've got no 3rd party apps running on it, just the standard t-mobile stuff. I've switched off auto-email checking.

Can I ring t-mobile for a replacement incase my phone is dodgy? I've had it for about 5 weeks now.

Thanks.

Guest Pondrew

Sounds like a faulty unit. No pocket PC should spontaneously reset itself at random. If you wanted to be sure it's faulty you could try hard resetting the device to see if that resolves the problem. Otherwise ask T-Mobile to replace/repair it under warranty.

Guest bindaas
If that's standard on an MDA Vario I'll make sure not to ever get one!  :shock:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and the worst part about this is, after it reboots, it doesnt ask for the pin code for the sim, it just asks for the phone password. As there is no pin for the sim, the sim doesnt get initialised, so there is no service, and you dont receive calls or messages. You have to manually reboot the phone yourself to get service again.

not very impressed to say the least. Anyone know the phone number for t-mobile technical faults reporting/warrenty claims?

Thanks.

Guest funkmaster

ive been noticing this more and more on my 9100 -

is there any reason?

i dont find it happens too often, usually its late at night aswell - altho that could just be when i notice it!

Guest welshgaz
ive been noticing this more and more on my 9100 -

is there any reason?

i dont find it happens too often, usually its late at night aswell - altho that could just be when i notice it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

funkmaster,

i noticed exactly this happen to my vario on sunday night/monday morning at midnight exactly. not sure if its happened before, it was just that the screen lit up the dark room and i saw the tmobile startup screen.

has anyone been in touch with t-mobile about it

Guest steve_smith
funkmaster,

i noticed exactly this happen to my vario on sunday night/monday morning at midnight exactly. not sure if its happened before, it was just that the screen lit up the dark room and i saw the tmobile startup screen.

has anyone been in touch with t-mobile about it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mine has stopped doing this (or not so I've noticed) since I put the latest T-Mobile ROM on to the phone. It used to do it before, usually when I had the phone connected to my laptop using the USB cable.

However, I still have the problem that sometimes hitting the power button to bring the phone out of standby doesn't work the first time (the screen lights up then immediately goes back in to standby, meaning you have to push the button a second time to wake it up). Anyone else experiencing this? I wonder if it's something (strange) to do with TomTom Navigator, which is about the only piece of non-standard software I have installed.

Steve.

Guest Alsicole

I haven't experienced this (the not powering up issue) on my Vario, but I've seen it on my QTek S110 (Magician). It seems to happen when I leave the unit in the middle of running an app or downloading something. Might be something to do with not closing apps fully.

I haven't had any random reboots on my Vario, but as it's brand new it's running the newest ROM.

My K-Jam does this now and then but I put the problem down to the reset button being a bit 'iffy'. I fiddled with the reset button a bit and its not reset itself since.

Guest MitchellO

My KJAM did this twice (that I noticed) but that was it. It worked fine after is reboot, but I don't know why it did. I had the original ROM that shipped with the first KJAMs

Guest Wozbacca

my vario used to do this, but interestingly only after i installed skype... rebooted every 10 minutes or so...

as soon as i uninstalled it, the problem went away...

Guest MitchellO
my vario used to do this, but interestingly only after i installed skype... rebooted every 10 minutes or so...

as soon as i uninstalled it, the problem went away...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats it!!!! I forgot, thats why mine did it. Once I hard reset and left skype off it worked fine until the day I sold it.

Guest Drewtech

I've just noticed mine do this today. It has happened twice this morning. Both times it has been charging: once via USB and once via the wall charger. It is less than a month old and came with the latest ROM. I am using the Windows default today screen and have CoPilot, Agenda Fusion and CodeWallet Pro installed. I also have a 1GB card. Everything else is standard T-mobile.

Guest Drewtech

Okay, so it rebboted again today at around 7pm. It had not been on charge for most of the day and then I recharged it around 5 pm via the wall charger and about 6:30 pm I transferred some music to it via the USB. A few minutes after I disconnected the USB the Vario rebooted itself. This is suggestive of a pattern.

As an aside. I have ActiveSynch on the Vario set to manual because I use wireless to synch with my Exchange server. When I connect to my PC I don't set up a partnership, I just use a guest connection, but the Vario seems to automatically synch with my Exchange Server. Is this expected behaviour?

Guest bindaas
Okay, so it rebboted again today at around 7pm. It had not been on charge for most of the day and then I recharged it around 5 pm via the wall charger and about 6:30 pm I transferred some music to it via the USB. A few minutes after I disconnected the USB the Vario rebooted itself. This is suggestive of a pattern.

As an aside. I have ActiveSynch on the Vario set to manual because I use wireless to synch with my Exchange server. When I connect to my PC I don't set up a partnership, I just use a guest connection, but the Vario seems to automatically synch with my Exchange Server. Is this expected behaviour?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

mines just done this again twice this morning. It seems to happen a few minutes after taking it off from charge. Anyone else notice this?

Guest Drewtech
mines just done this again twice this morning. It seems to happen a few minutes after taking it off from charge. Anyone else notice this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't noticed mine do it again since my last post but I have only used the wall charger. I will investigate over the next few days and let you know if I find anything.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bindaas
I haven't noticed mine do it again since my last post but I have only used the wall charger. I will investigate over the next few days and let you know if I find anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think i've finally got to the bottom of this. I got a replacement phone from t-mobile because of my other one rebooting randomly.

After a couple of days, the new one started doing the same! arghh.

Then it finally clicked, the only common thing in both phones was the memory card. I've taken the memory card out and now it hasnt rebooted in 2 days.

Looks like this dodgy SanDisk 512mb card was causing it. The card looks perfect no bad sectors.

I'm looking for a new 512 or 1gig card. Anyone recommend a card that works fine with the vario please.

Thanks,

Harb.

Guest Alsicole

I think you're right. The reason I say this is that since I installed SplashBlog, I periodically come back to my Vario and it says 'Would you like to view the pictures on your storage card', which is exactly what happens if you take the storage card out and put it back in again.

Can anyone else verify that this is actually a card slot issue?

Guest ultimate_fish

I'm experiencing the same thing with a 1GB el cheapo card. I have tomtom on the card and it occasionally starts up with no warning. It's as if the card slot is resetting. If it's happening with several makes of card I'd suspect the card interface or a firmware problem.

Guest bindaas
I'm experiencing the same thing with a 1GB el cheapo card. I have tomtom on the card and it occasionally starts up with no warning. It's as if the card slot is resetting. If it's happening with several makes of card I'd suspect the card interface or a firmware problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

anyone got a perfectly working memory card in their vario?

Guest jimbob_no1

I've had issues where shortcuts to software installed on the storage card appear to lose their location. Ejected and re-inserting the card resolves it, but there does appear to be some sort of storage card problem going on here.

Guest bindaas

just purchased a new 1gig card and it does the same, reboots itself at random times.

Works fine without a memory card. This is getting annoying now.

Guest Pondrew

Bizarre that certain cards seem to make these new WM5 devices reboot themselves. Many HTC Charmer owners have reported it as well but I haven't had it myself. Does that mean that my Apacer high speed SD card is more compatible with the device then the cards they're using? :?:

Maybe it's the combination of certain cards AND certain software...