Vario reboots randomly :-(

Guest bindaas

Guest marcwic
I've just noticed mine do this today. It has happened twice this morning. Both times it has been charging: once via USB and once via the wall charger. It is less than a month old and came with the latest ROM. I am using the Windows default today screen and have CoPilot, Agenda Fusion and CodeWallet Pro installed. I also have a 1GB card. Everything else is standard T-mobile.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this is an issue with USB charging then. Mine did it twice today, and I'd had it plugged in to a PC that didnt have Active Sync (just for charge).

Guest shadamehr

My Vario is now doing random, sporadic reboots for no reasontoo , whilst not doing anything or being used...

I'll monitor/try testing with the Memory card...

It's Copilot's own 256MB Mini-SD that comes with CoPilot Live 6...

Guest adchaffey
My Vario is now doing random, sporadic reboots for no reasontoo , whilst not doing anything or being used...

I'll monitor/try testing with the Memory card...

It's Copilot's own 256MB Mini-SD that comes with CoPilot Live 6...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My Vario rebooted itself for the first time yesterday. Co-incidently I installed Tom Tom navigator the day before and was having problems with Tom Tom starting all by itself. In the end I deleted the autorun file from the memory card which has obviously stopped Tom Tom starting but hasn't touched the actual cause of the problem!

Guest marcwic
I think this is an issue with USB charging then. Mine did it twice today, and I'd had it plugged in to a PC that didnt have Active Sync (just for charge).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I switched mine off last night and left it connected to the mains, and today after being on for 2 hours it reset again.

So not sure what it is! Very annoying tho as any unsaved documents get deleted.

Guest st3ph3n

Any updates on this?

Here's my findings. MDA Vario received just after new year. Upgraded the ROM about 2 weeks after maybe. Card installed is 512mb PRT (el cheapo brando).

I only use the card for storage, never for actual software installs. I have SPB Pocket Plus on the home screen. TTM Installed on the phone itself, maps on the card. Only other software running is Dynamo (task switcher) but that was installed after the rebooting problem reared its head. No other software loaded at startup as far as I know. I always open up mail to check my pop though, and leave it minimized.

I turn my phone off at night, completely off that is, about 9/10ths of the time. Turn it on between 6:50 and 7:20 in the morning during the week.

Reboots have been spotted as early as driving to work at 7:50-8:30 on one occasion. In fact it rebooted twice on the one 30 minute commute that time. Most happen between 11 and 3 in the afternoon though. I'll just notice the big white boot screen has appeared as if by magics! A few days it's been doing it almost every half hour, and I usually just power down the phone and power it backup to cure the problem.

It's never done it whilst plugged into the PC at home, and it's never done it whilst I've actually been using the device. Only when it's sitting in standby.

Guest chucky.egg

I dont know that it's the same thing, but my HTC Prophet (Dopod 818, SPV M600, iMate JAMin etc) did the same thing. The worst I saw was 3-4 reboots within 20 minutes, generally when on charge overnight and always when in Suspend

It also used to lose the SD card, report it as full, not let me enable WiFi etc etc

Anyway.... doing a Soft Reset to stop the Dopod Ext_ROM CABs from loading fixed the reboots, but the only thing that's fixed ALL the problems is applying a new ROM update (from iMate in my case)

Guest adchaffey
Just to add that mine still does this... Damn.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mine now occaisionally reboots. This has only started happening since i installed Tom Tom Navigator though!

Guest st3ph3n
Mine now occaisionally reboots. This has only started happening since i installed Tom Tom Navigator though!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are we all using TTM? I have 5.2 installed I believe. I've never had any reboot problems whilst actually using it though. Indeed, it only reboots when I'm not touching it at all.

Guest adchaffey
Are we all using TTM? I have 5.2 installed I believe. I've never had any reboot problems whilst actually using it though. Indeed, it only reboots when I'm not touching it at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah same here, never rebooted whilst Tom Tom is running, just when it's not in use.

Guest shadamehr

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope - no TTM here - but I do have CoPilot on the mini SD card in the Vario.

I just leave it sitting on my desk all day, and glance at it and notice the Windows Mobile splash screen light up from time to time, as the device randomly reboots..

Guest Phil Lee

My Vario has been rebooting randomly. In the last two days it hasn't reset itself. The only change I've made is that I've stopped overclocking it using OMAPClock, including removing the notification queue entry to run overclock on device wakeup. Of course by posting it I know that my device will reset itself again ;)

Guest st3ph3n

Mine's bounced twice today that I can see.

I did of course mean TTN, and not TTM. As TTM is for smartphones. You all knew that of course.

Guest zombiefly

i think i posted earlier in this thread saying that my vario was rebooting randomly. However, it hasnt done it for 2 weeks now, and that directly coincided with some changes i made.

I was using the pocket plus homescreen plug etc, however i've removed this and switched to wisbar and ilauncher. This has solved the problems with rebooting AND the problems with answering calls (i.e. it wouldnt answer)

not sure if this applies to everyone but it certainly worked for me.

nb. if you use ilauncher, make sure you install to the device rather than the memory card. seems that the card doesnt initialise fast enough on power up/return from standby, causing the device to lock up when it attempts to use ilauncher from the storage card.

Guest minty1978

mine used to reboot about once a day on average.

that was until i installed the latest i-mate rom a couple of days ago...and so far its been very stable (48 hours now) and no reboots...also, its much quicker now.

Guest zombiefly

that was until i installed the latest i-mate rom a couple of days ago...and so far its been very stable (48 hours now) and no reboots...also, its much quicker now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you install the imate rom, do you have to manually configure stuff like the gprs/mms etc?

can i PM you? ;)

Guest lostboy42

My Vario reboots multiple times a day i think :cry: . Seems to happen more at work but i think its just that i notice it more.

I'm trying a few things like remove all apps that were installed on the memory card (as it disappears sometimes), turning off pocket plus today screen etc.

But this got me to thinking. What we really need on the Vario is a small program that runs on boot up and logs the time in a file. Then we'd know how much it happens. Kind of like the event log starting message you get on NT/XP Pro.

Anyone know of an app that does this or fancy writing one?

Guest bluesxman

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same results here!

Guest shadamehr
is there an upgrade for t-mobile mda users ? (uk?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Still not yet.

Be warned though - I tried the I-mate update on my Vario - and there is a CLEAR issue with certain ROM's and the use of wi-fi.

Remember the patch that allows 802.11g instead of just b?

Well, with the T-Mobile ROM, I struggle a bit to connect to my Wireless Router, that EVERYTHING else works fine with, from x-box 360 to psp to two pc's to two 802.11b sp5 smartphones.

If I install the patch on my Vario, it works fine.

BUT... with the i-mate updated ROM, no matter what I do, it can't connect to my wireless router.

So clearly there is a ROM issue on the update - I hope this doesn't happen come the eventual T-Mobile new ROM too, or I am snookered.

Guest minty1978

i didn't have to manually configure the MMS/GPRS settings.

once you have done the rom update it asks you for your phone provider and installs the extended rom items.

others seem to soft reboot before this happens....but i didn't and all is well...and my wifi still works perfectly and talks to my 802.11g AP straight away!