HTC Prophet / Dopod 818 Pro questions? Ask here!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Cool beans!

My Dopod 818 Pro (aka HTC Prophet), Black WWE, arrived this morning!

So if you have any questions about the device also known as the iMate JamIn and the QTek S200, ask them here ;)

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
Oooohhh, yes please...

Is it 802.11g?

64Mb ROM, 128Mb RAM?  (how does ROM/RAM work in WM5?)

Is it as lovely as I expect it to be?

I want one.  Can I have yours please?

The specs I've seen were here:

http://www.doml.co.uk/productdec.asp?model...l=818p&pid=2193

802.11g, yep, 64/128.

It's very lovely, the additional keys really make a difference!

Those specs at doml look spot on.

P

Guest Pondrew

Another progression in Windows Mobile Pocket PC Phone. Can't wait to see how good the 2mega pixel camera is, given the 1.3 in the MDA Compact II was the best I'd ever seen I've got high hopes. I'd obviously be interested in direct comparisons between the two (ie, HTC Prophet versus HTC Charmer).

64Mb ROM, 128Mb RAM?  (how does ROM/RAM work in WM5?)...

...The specs I've seen were here:

http://www.doml.co.uk/productdec.asp?model...l=818p&pid=2193

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looking at the spec it's identical hardware to the HTC Charmer but with the addition of wifi, the upgrade of camera to 2 megapixel and bluetooth to V2.0 (which comes as a very pleasant surprise given all recent releases weren't even V1.3!).

As with all the latest WM5 HTC Pocket PC Phones it's only got 64meg ram with 128meg rom (although persistant storage makes it almost impossible to compare memory configurations with older Pocket PC Phones).

Still waiting for an advancement in processing power... ;)

Guest chucky.egg
As with all the latest WM5 HTC Pocket PC Phones it's only got 64meg ram with 128meg rom (although persistant storage makes it almost impossible to compare memory configurations with older Pocket PC Phones).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you give us some pointers though - I've never used WM5

Is the 64Mb ROM for Windows only, or can we install apps into that?

Does that include what was "Program" memory for running apps?

Is the 128Mb RAM equivalent to the Storage "drive" on WM2003? (built-in persistent storage, not RAM for running apps)

Guest Paul [MVP]

I have a Prophet and a Charmer here Pondrew, the Prophet feel much nicer with it's 'soft' coating, the new hardware buttons make a huge difference.

Will take some pics later with the camera and post here ;)

WiFi is the best improvement over the Charmer for me...

Roll on AKU2 though!

P

Guest Pondrew

Definately envious here ;)

@chucky.egg, the memory configuration is extremely strange with Windows Mobile 5 Pocket PC Phone (at least on my Charmer) as 64meg RAM and 128meg ROM (not the other way around as you posted) results in the following memory status screen (this is immediately after booting with only Pocket Controller running in the background):

post-2910-1138021100_thumb.jpg

I can only assume Windows Mobile 5 or the mechanics of persistant storage use/hide the rest of the 128meg rom. I'm FAIRLY certain that the lower ram in these devices is a result of the device no longer needing to keep a 'Storage Drive' on ram as in previous Windows Mobile versions, instead keeping all storage to the rom.

Anyway, this thread here might help (and will also ensure this thread gets back on topic!) as it links to an article on how WM5 utilises memory for persistant storage compared with older devices.

Guest battletank

*deleted*

Sorry - I realise that the fact that it's 128Mb ROM and 64Mb RAM (not the other way around) has already been pointed out.

Edited by battletank

Guest spangelsaregreat

Hi,

I am currently looking at a replacement for my JAM (front runners being Prophet, Atom or a JAM 128mb).

Where did you get yours? How much was it including postage?

If possible I would be interested if you could see if the following would work with it.

Tom Tom 5

Memory Map

MortPlayer

Texas Hold'em

Monopoly

Onspeed

PocketBreeze

PocketWeather

ContactBreeze

iLauncher

MagicButton

Also is it possible to configure the buttons to run any program etc?

Thanks

Edited by spangelsaregreat

Guest MichaelF

Is it small enough to keep with you all day, say in your pant or jacket pocket? I'm looking at an iMate SP5 because of the small size, but the Prophet is a sweet machine. Also, how does the screen compare to the SP5 in terms of brightness & quality?

Thanks!

Guest chucky.egg

Thanks for the explanation on WM5 memory - being able to write to ROM was where my brain was sticking.

Another question... I've heard that non-WM5 apps can cause problems. Is that any non-WM5 app, or specific ones/functions?

I think my question is really - "am I going to have to buy a new set of apps"?

Is the processor fast enough? I mean is there any noticable lag when switching from one app to the other or scrolling through media etc.

Have you tried Skype on it? How does it perform if you have?

Is the processor fast enough? I mean is there any noticable lag when switching from one app to the other or scrolling through media etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't worry about the processor its plenty fast enough. I had an O2 Atom for a few days before I bought my Dopod. It (Atom) had a faster processor but it was sh!t slow & far too buggy even after the ROM update not to mention the crap camera & don't get me started on the flexy creaky plastic case.

Luckily the shop in HK I bought it from let me exchange it for the Dopod. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now & I have wifi permanently on with msn messenger, WMP playing mp3s & playing mahjong game regularly running at the same time with no speed issues & when a call interupts evrything it does it smoothly without any drama. Battery life is excellent I'm getting a couple of days between charges.

I've only got a couple of programs loaded Fizz Traveller 2.2, TCPMP & Metro. I've got an issue with the alarms not working in Fizz Traveller when the phone is in sleep mode but otherwise evrything is working fine.

Build quality is on another level compared to the Atom & it looks uber cool in stealthy matt black. My biggest gripe with it is that the speaker is located on the back of the phone so when you have it naturally lying on the table screen up the ringing tones are muffled. The wife likes it aswell & has asked a relative to bring back a Lavender coloured one for her.

Guest Syphon Filter
Don't worry about the processor its plenty fast enough. I had an O2 Atom for a few days before I bought my Dopod. It (Atom) had a faster processor but it was sh!t slow & far too buggy even after the ROM update not to mention the crap camera & don't get me started on the flexy creaky plastic case.

Luckily the shop in HK I bought it from let me exchange it for the Dopod. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now & I have wifi permanently on with msn messenger, WMP playing mp3s & playing mahjong game regularly running at the same time with no speed issues & when a call interupts evrything it does it smoothly without any drama. Battery life is excellent I'm getting a couple of days between charges.

I've only got a couple of programs loaded Fizz Traveller 2.2, TCPMP & Metro. I've got an issue with the alarms not working in Fizz Traveller when the phone is in sleep mode but otherwise evrything is working fine.

Build quality is on another level compared to the Atom & it looks uber cool in stealthy matt black. My biggest gripe with it is that the speaker is located on the back of the phone so when you have it naturally lying on the table screen up the ringing tones are muffled. The wife likes it aswell & has asked a relative to bring back a Lavender coloured one for her.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So all in all you are saying its a sweet device and worth every penny! Its a shame none of the networks are showing this on their coming soon pages. I'd love to get one of these!! Its exactly what i want really. I dont really want to buy it offline at that sort of price though. Looks very sweet and does pretty much everything I would want it to...the thing that stopped me getting an MDA was the lack of wifi and this addresses that. Also it does indeed look uber cool in that matt black colour.

I got mine a week ago now , great build , camera is amazing !! One down side I did prefer the voice recognition on the K-Jam. It worked , I can't seem to get the 1.6 version on the Dopod to recognise anything I say. ;)(

Oh well the good thing is you can remove the software.

Guest Paul [MVP]
Hi,

I am currently looking at a replacement for my JAM (front runners being Prophet, Atom or a JAM 128mb).

Where did you get yours? How much was it including postage?

If possible I would be interested if you could see if the following would work with it.

Tom Tom 5

Memory Map

MortPlayer

Texas Hold'em

Monopoly

Onspeed

PocketBreeze

PocketWeather

ContactBreeze

iLauncher

MagicButton

Also is it possible to configure the buttons to run any program etc?

Thanks

Blimey, you don't want much do you ;)

I'll give those a go when I get a chance, I can tell you now Tom Tom 5 works fine.

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
Is it small enough to keep with you all day, say in your pant or jacket pocket?  I'm looking at an iMate SP5 because of the small size, but the Prophet is a sweet machine.  Also, how does the screen compare to the SP5 in terms of brightness & quality?

Thanks!

Plenty small enough, and screen is one of the best i've seen on a PPC!

P

Guest Paul [MVP]

Processor seems absolutely fine in general use, and as a benefit of the power efficient proc, battery life is stunning so far.

Skype is a no-go ;)

P

Guest Paul [MVP]
I got mine a week ago now , great build , camera is amazing !!  One down side I did prefer the voice recognition on the K-Jam.  It worked , I can't seem to get the 1.6 version on the Dopod to recognise anything I say. ;)(

Oh well the good thing is you can remove the software.

Yeah, I uninstalled the standard one and installed MS Voice Command 1.5 UK.

P

So all in all you are saying its a sweet device and worth every penny! Its a shame none of the networks are showing this on their coming soon pages. I'd love to get one of these!! Its exactly what i want really. I dont really want to buy it offline at that sort of price though. Looks very sweet and does pretty much everything I would want it to...the thing that stopped me getting an MDA was the lack of wifi and this addresses that. Also it does indeed look uber cool in that matt black colour.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah its been great so far. I bought an MDA aswell & missed the built in wifi. I also got a Qtek 9100 but as much as I liked it I had issues with the wifi module in that it wasn't sensitive enough to locate my home network in the usual places where I would use it.

The Dopod however has no such problems with wifi ???? Which seems a bit strange because I'd have thought its the same basic hardware design as the HTC Wizard minus the keyboard.

Oh another issue I'm having is that the black paint is coming off in the area where the stylus silo is not really bad right now but it'll probably get worse.

Guest spangelsaregreat

"Blimey, you don't want much do you "

Thanks Paul,

From what I have read all of these should work but I would like to get definative answer before committing to buying.

Thanks also for the eBay link for buying the phone. Certainly seems a good bit cheaper than Doml. Does that price include VAT or do you get stung for that when it comes into the country?

Regards