M500 with Wifi

Guest ryanred5

Guest ryanred5

Hiya

Is it possible to get a Wifi card for the M500, as I have a home network setup at home with a wireless router as I use a laptop.

I have read the Ebuyer thread about the wifi card on there and would probably get that one if I can put it in my M500.

If I can get one, are they easy to set up, I have WPA security setup on my router and only the two pcs connected to it can access it, due to Mac Address security too, does a M500 wifi card have a Mac address too or would I have to lose that part of the security.

Hope someone can help. ;)

Thanks

Catherine

Guest mupwangle

I would've thought that an SDIO wifi card should work with the M500 OK. I don't know if WPA would be there (depends on the manufacturer) but at least WEP should be.

As far as mac addresses go - EVERY network card - whether wired or wireless has a mac address.

What puts me off is lack of storage on the card so I'd have to remove my 1gb sd card. :-(

Guest marksurry

I use a wi-fi card in my M500 and it works well. Like mupwangle said it is a pain having to remove the memory card to use wi-fi though. Apart from that, it's great. I surf the net and download emails.

I have MAC address filtering set up on my wi-fi network too. You just need to add the SDIO cards MAC address to the list on your router. Simple :-D

Edited by marksurry

Guest Alsicole

I have the very excellent Socket e300 wi-fi SD card. It only sticks out from the device a couple of millimetres (less than a regular card) and the software that comes with the Socket card is very very good.

I would definitely recommend it.

With regard to the MAC address filtering. It not only has one, but it's helpfully listed on the back of the card so you don't have to go rummaging around to find it to enter it on your router info.

Guest ryanred5

Wow thanks alot for your help, so it looks like Ill be buying a wifi card then. The only problem now is where from, I dont want to pay a mega lot, but I dont want a crap card, so is the Ebuyer one a good one to go for (Im in the UK btw)?

At the mo I dont have a SD card with memory on it, so thats not a problem, although I will be getting one, but changing them isnt a big deal.

Again thanks for your help, just need help finding one now.

Catherine

Guest marksurry

I use a "Safecom" SD wireless card. Sticks out from the M500 about 5mm which isn't too bad. I picked mine up from Ebay for under £30. Plenty on there too.

See attached photo.

post-104559-1138144671_thumb.jpg

Guest ryanred5
I use a "Safecom" SD wireless card.  Sticks out from the M500 about 5mm which isn't too bad.  I picked mine up from Ebay for under £30.  Plenty on there too.

Hiya

Ive had a look on Ebay and theres a seller on there at the mo selling the Safecom cards for £27.99, so you definately recommend them do you? Cos if so Ill go ahead and order one for my PDA. This is the auction Safecom Card Auction.

I did ask the seller if the card can use WPA security cos the auction only only shows WEP, he wasnt sure, do you know at all? Its just my router uses WPA security and I dont want to lower the security to WEP.

Thanks alot

Catherine

Guest marksurry

The only security I'm using on my router is MAC address filtering. I'll activate the WPA security tonight and see what happens if you like?

I can reconmend the Safecom card though, works sweet.

The web site says this:

"It supports open, 64-bit and 128-bit WEP, WPA-PSK encryptions"

http://safecom.cn/code/sub/category.asp?pr...323&subcatid=41

Hope this helps?

The only thing I will say is that this card ISN'T compatible with WM5 yet. My wife has an MDA compact 2 running WM5 and the card will not work with that operating system. Safecom are working on drivers aparantly. If you have an M500 running WM2003 it's not a problem.

Edited by marksurry

Guest ryanred5

Im going to struggle here, cos Im on TKIP WPA security, but I think I can change to the other one, Ill have a fiddle with my router settings before I order one, if not I can always drop the settings back to WEP, its not like its not secure.

We got a friend with a laptop to try and connect to our network sitting outside the house, and although he could see a network he couldnt access it at all.

Thanks again for all your help.

Im sure Ill be hassling you with questions once I get the card. :-)

ETA - Ive checked the router settings and it says the Security Mode is WPA Personal and the WPA Algorithims is TKIP, so Im not sure if Im okay or not.

Ive ordered the card off Ebay, the guy emailed me back to say if I wouldnt work with my setup I could send it back for a refund. So Im sorted now. 8)

Catherine

Edited by ryanred5

Guest marksurry

It's a win / win situation then. If it doesn't work you get your money back. If it works you have wifi on the M500. Everyones a winner.

My MAC address filter what you explained. People can see the network but can't connect unless I put their MAC address in the routers list.

Guest JamieDow

Thanks Marksurry,

That's put my mind at ease, I ordered one of these about 5 mins before I saw this post and was curious about how much it would stick out ;)

Oh and how is the software? The stuff that comes with it looks quite good.

Edited by JamieDow

Guest dutchphoto

Does anybody have some experience in using the Sandisk wifi card with 256MB storage? I know it is a long card, but I have to replace my 512MB if I want wifi too. I need some extra storage space.So I like the best of two worlds;)

dutchphoto

Guest ryanred5

Thanks for your help and advice, looks like we will all be PDA surfing, hehe.

Dutchphoto, Im not sure if the Sandisk WIFI and 256 cards are still available, I know from some stuff Ive read they are not available everywhere.

I do think that card sticks out more than the Safecom one, but I dont know how much.

Catherine

Guest marksurry

@JamieDow

Software that is supplied is good. Once it's installed it pretty much runs itself. I insert the card, it looks for networks and tries to connect. Connects to my home network in about 10 seconds. If it finds a network I haven't used it gives me the opportunity to log onto it (password protected)

I've just bought a card on ebay SD WiFi WLAN wireless card 802.11b, but i'm not sure if it comes with any software, if it dosen't, can anyone recomend any?

It's the Safecom PDA Wlan adapter

Thanks

Tom

Edited by Skinz

Guest marksurry

@Skinz,

You can download the Safecom software from there web site. It's installed with the drivers on the mobile device.

@Ryanred,

Has that cat got only one ear?

Guest JamieDow
@JamieDow

Software that is supplied is good.  Once it's installed it pretty much runs itself.  I insert the card, it looks for networks and tries to connect.  Connects to my home network in about 10 seconds.  If it finds a network I haven't used it gives me the opportunity to log onto it (password protected)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for that, i've been looking over it again today and looking forwards to it arriving tomorrow. I like the look of the ping utility too, it's a handy tool.

Guest ryanred5

Oooooh me is fick, I installed everything, stuck the card in, nothing, it wouldnt find anything, and I couldnt add my network too it.

When I installed the Utility, I get the following message on my M500:-

The program you have installed may not display properly because it was designed for a previous version of Windows Mobile software.

Whats that then??

Ive put the MAC address for the card into my router software, is there anything else I need to do?

Grrrrrrrrr.

HELPPPPPPPP

Edited by ryanred5

Guest marksurry

When you put the wifi card into the M500 do you get the wireless logo (mast with arrows on it) on the top of the screen? (see my earlier photo). If you do, click the mast once with the stylus and select "Settings".

From the settings screen select "Network Cards".

You should then get the "configure wireless networks" screen which shows all available wireless networks. The settings I use are as follows:

Network to access: All Available

Untick "Automatically connect to non-prefered networks"

I then tap and hold the wireless network I need and click on Connect. Once you've connected once it should reconnect all the time when you insert the wifi card.

Hope this helps.

Guest ryanred5
When you put the wifi card into the M500 do you get the wireless logo (mast with arrows on it) on the top of the screen?  (see my earlier photo).  If you do, click the mast once with the stylus and select "Settings".

From the settings screen select "Network Cards".

You should then get the "configure wireless networks" screen which shows all available wireless networks.  The settings I use are as follows:

Network to access: All Available

Untick "Automatically connect to non-prefered networks"

I then tap and hold the wireless network I need and click on Connect.  Once you've connected once it should reconnect all the time when you insert the wifi card.

Hope this helps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hiya

Thanks for replying so quick.

Yep Ive got the antenna and Ive clicked settings and gone to Network Cards.

Am currently in Configure Wireless Network and its found my network and is saying Connecting at the mo.

Ive got All Available Set And the other box unticked.

How long does it take to connect, cos its still saying connecting, been a couple of mins now.

My router btw is a Linksys WRT54G, and Ive reset it to WEP security with the MAC addy security too.

Thanks for helping, Im okay with puter stuff just wireless stuff goes way over my head, had probs getting my router and card set up originally.

Catherine

PS If you have MSN and think it would easier talking on there about this, I think my addy for it is in my profile card.

Edited by ryanred5

Guest ryanred5

Well Im at last working with the WLAN card, Ive had to reset my router god knows how many times, had to change the channel to 6, and have a different SSID.

I got on the internet no problems with no security.

But once Ive added security (WEP 128) it wont let me on the net grrrrrrrr.

Thanks to Marksurry who came on MSN to go through some settings with me. Thanks alot Mark. :)

Also after doing a soft reset it wont find my network again, grrrr what the hells going on with this, its doing my head in.

ETA Ive removed everything and am going put V1 driver software stuff on and see what happens.

:shock: :shock: Can someone hold me hand!!!

Catherine

Edited by ryanred5