Uncertified Doom.....ALPHA version

Guest MBoden

Go on Monolithix - splash out a tenner ;) Good work here - has anyone noticed any difference fiddling with the screen size/detail settings? Seems to run at a nice 8fps regardless..

:lol: :D :D :(

Cheers MBoden,

made the sub folder DoomSPV for the WAD file, dropped it in and away we go . . Doom on the phone . . . how cool is that ;) :lol:

Keep up the good work. Thanx :wink:

Guest Drift3r

This is pure fantastic!! All I'm thinking now is 'What can't this phone do!?'

Anyway, just curious if anyone else is finding it taking ages to load and then being really slow through the menus?

My home screen is the default one after hard reset, so I'll try a simpler one to see if that makes a difference.

In the mean time, I'll send you my log MBoden to see if you can spot any problems...

Cheers!

I see from the screenshot [page 1 of this thread] that the screen looks squashed, have you tried changing it so the game runs in landscape mode? The controls might be a little more awkward but ud make better use out of the resolution

Hi all,

Just before I unlock my phone. I want to ask some of you guys who have had a chance to try Doom. Based on what I have read, it seems to give 5-9 frames per second dependent on your phone. But how does it actually play. Is it playable. Can you kill the monsters before they get you or is the control / frame rate too poor.

It's great having doom on your phone to show off, but can you actually enjoy playing it.

Someone was talking about trying to save a game. Can you do this yet.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Gorskar

Theres a trial version on the SD card you get with your phone.

Or if you have lost that you can get the trial version from www.handango.com and they have the full version for you to buy there also.

Anyway, you don't need all explorer. Just use windows explorer to create the shortcuts etc when the phone is synced to the PC.

Guest awarner [MVP]
I dont have all-explorer ? SO I can't run doom.exe ?

would some1 mind sending it to me @

Just use activsync and create a shortcut in your games folder ;)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Emad: I'll see if i can find some spare cash when i'm paid next week. If I get one i'm wantin a 128meg jobbie, and I have my holiday to pay off first :/

Guest AsherUK

Holiday !? ..you can't go on holiday, this forum would be so quiet without you ! :lol:

... and just think about how many red folders you'd come back to !, it would take you a month to get back up to date ! ;)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Asher: "heh" :lol:

DJHope: I was out of the office all day today so i came back to 17 hours worth of posts ;), missed all the updates on the certificate programme too :/. Not as bad as you might expect though, but it took me about 1.5 hours to catch up, x7 = 10.5 hours to catch up when i get back from hol :lol:

Yeh its a nightmare to leave it for a day!

DJ Hope

tell me about it, I went to liverpool yesterday to see my girlfriend (oh so deprived because of my addiction to this forum...) and when I came back, return of the mighty red folders! So much to catch up on!

i thought id leave as soon as I found out about hte game boy emulator cos i thought nothing that big would come for a while after this, I get back and theres doom!!!!!

I know it aint a major thing but hey, I might as well ask. Do you think u could assign an icon to the exe file cos its making my home screen look ugly having the default white app icon. After all, we all use this more than any other app on our fone!

OK, I've unlocked my phone and am running Doom!!! SPV, best phone (as distinct from brick) in the world.

MBoden, you have done a wonderful job, but I am sure you would like some feedback / comments.

1) Refresh rate is pretty good. A bit faster would make it very playable.

2) Controls are a bit fiddly, but no surprises there. Ability to map keyboard would be great.

3) Weapon selection. Does not work correctly. I got the machine gun and pressed 1 to go to shot gun. Went to fists. Pressed 2, got pistol. Not now possible to select shotgun or machine gun. 1 & 2 do the same as PC version select first 2 weapons ONLY.

4) Menu and start-up speed. Very slow. Press a menu button and wait several seconds for anything to happen. Anything you could do about this would be great as it can be very frustrating.

5) Game save / load. Is this working. Really need this if you are going to play Doom seriously.

6) Aspect ratio. Everyone's tall and thin. I would not mine loosing a bit of resolution particularly if it speeded things up.

7) Some sound would be nice, but if you do add it, you must have the option to turn it off. It would limit its usability if you had to have sound.

Keep up and good work and please please please release a new version soon. A text editor would be nice but a completed Doom would be nicer.

Guest Precognisant

This reply might 'span' several threads...

I unlocked me phone and use other unsigned Apps no probs. Last night - sigh no social life - I installed DoomSPV (thank you those involved) ran slow but ok. Today running the .exe through ALLexplorer gave me the old 'YOU HAVE BROUGHT A LIMITED PHONE FROM A COMPANY WITHOUT MAKING SURE THEY ALLOW DEVELOPMENT' message but other unsigned software works.

The .exe and .wad is on the SD card. Would this make a difference to the 'unlocking'? I cant see it being the 'values' given in the .provxml as they worked last night. Is it possible that there are such things as time limited certs given for external .exe's?? Or is it possible that crashing an App can interfere with the certification?

Doom dosen't work!

!Access denied. The program cannot start because it is not digitally signed with a trusted certificate. Please contact your service provider for more information"

;)( help

Guest Lizard_King

Yeah keep it up Mboden, much appreciated work. You should have seen my mates face (he's got a 7650 with which he's been flashing 'Bubble Bobble' infront of my eyes for the last god know long :x ) , it certainly took the shine off his shoes ;)

Well done though, found loading time not too bad and the frame rate actually quite acceptable once u got used to it. No hangs up as such but found I had to reboot once I'd been playing for a bit but then thats no real suprise considering what its doing. Nice 1!

Guest Lizard_King

Hmm, pretty sure i didnt post this into this topic but then again Friday evenings do funny things to me :?

Apologies all, rest asured it wont happen again ???? :shock: