shadamehr

'That' Avatar Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Internet, Games, Women, Phones, Clubbing and Pubbing
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  • Twitter:@shadamehr

If you are in the house why not just use bluetooth access instead of WiFi to access the web? I do it all the time with my C550. No paying Orange for the data charges and it's much faster than GPRS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Already been down that road - I owned a C500.

And the reason...?

Because range is naff - so for "round the house" read "sitting near to your pc" (which kind of defeats the whole object yeah?). I exagerate slightly, but you get my point.

Also, PC needs to be on...

And finally, speed...

I have 10Mb Broadband...

So using BT, the bottleneck of BT is 725Kb (theoretic max).

Using wi-fi, with a limit of 11Mbps, then my browsing speed is then a (theoretic, but still MUCH MUCH faster), 10Mb itself.

And having a pre-n belkin router, the speed IS really near that, the range is unbelievable - out in the garden, on the loo, next door at sisters etc, and the pre-n router works mixed mode without slowing down to the lowest standard (802.11b)

Those arguments, make "just use BT instead" a none-starter from the off, where wi-fi is concerned.

Posted Image

shadamehr

shadamehr

'That' Avatar Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Spill the beans too Shadamehr... who did you get your great deal with?

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry Paul - just spotted your post now after all this time.

O2 Online - they are now doing (for everyone) the new Online 500 18 month contracts - it's mainly on the i-mode phones, but some others are included too.

For NEW customers, the cost is £35 a month for the 750 anytime any net minutes, 750 sms, and included MMS in that allowance, with free voicemail etc etc.

For an UPGRADER, if you go via the normal retentions department route, you can get them to include more handsets, such as the Nokia 6230i that my partner wanted a spare one of, and if you haggle (or better yet, try this - go for a phone that comes with an EXTRA for new customers, such as a free BT headset - retentions can't do accesories, so put sad voice on, and they will then offer to cover this by a reduction in line rental - they did this on BOTH my accounts, in two seperate phone calls), and you should get the cost down to £28 for a year at least (£84 cheaper over the year, with no need to claim back etc - its just a deduction each month).

No arguing thats not great value - either at £35 for newbies with accesories thrown in (the nec 411 comes with free home dvd recorder), or possibly less for upgrade users.

Finally, two things to dispell the arguments...

1 - O2 Online Customer care poor/costly? Has no one ever heard of the "say no to 0870" website - it has proper geographic and even FREE numbers for Online Member Service - dont use the 0870 number!

2 - Poor handset choice? Well its not THAT bad, but let me be crystal clear - I wanted this deal for the tariff alone, not just a handset - a handset is an added bonus. Now I am on 750 anytime any net minutes, and 750 texts and mms allowed within (1mms = 4SMS) too, for life (or until they change tariffs - what I mean is that this is not a special offer deal)

Hope this helps.

Posted Image

shadamehr

shadamehr

'That' Avatar Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

It constantly amazes me how much of a positive spin the C600 is given in comparison to the C550 on MoDaCo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And to add to your valid point mate, it NEVER ceases to amaze me, 'how much of a positive spin the c600 is given in comparison to the SP5 on MoDaCo'.

By that, I mean I hear users signing its praises left, right, centre, down below, up above and anywhere in between on this forum, yet hardly a word spoken (in the same praising way - there is plenty of technical stuff on it though) about the sp5.

And I find that utterly bizzare, as surely if ever there was an argument that was substantive, not opinion based, this has to be it. :)

You see, I'm not saying the C600 is poor... On the contrary, the strengths of the C600 are the very requirement for my argument about the sp5. My point is that if the sp5 is the same identical phone under the hood that a c600 is, and it still looks good, and the screen is great, and its still not especially big or heavy, BUT it has wi-fi, then why is it not raved about in the same way as a C600 is on here.

If the only 'perceived' down sides to an sp5 compared to a c600 are; it's not QUITE as sexy, its a tiny BIT bigger, and its a tiny BIT heavier, but all the other good things about the c600 apply equally to it, AND it has wi-fi, then why oh why is the sp5 not raved about on here like the c600 is...?

I really just dont get it.

To all you c600 users that rave about their device, let me say this... yup your right - its a GREAT device isn't it. But my sp5 does all that too, is barely larger or heavier, AND it has wi-fi.

So, how come MY device threfore, isn't utterly amazing like your c600 is. What did I miss? Mine is everything your phone is, and even more. The only difference is looks, and yet in the early days of the sp5 people were raving about its sleek, sexy, understated looks...

Oh well... at least "I" think my device is amazing *lol*

Posted Image

Dr Who

Dr Who

Timelord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Sorry Paul - just spotted your post now after all this time.

O2 Online - they are now doing (for everyone) the new Online 500 18 month contracts - it's mainly on the i-mode phones, but some others are included too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't find this contract of which you speak, shadamehr. Have you got a direct link handy?

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,368 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
Shadamehr... the reason you find people raving on more about the C600 is it's free on a cheap O contract, and it's not very easy to get the SP5 at a decent price!

I like the form factor of the SP5 too, so that wouldn't influence my purchase decision...

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

shadamehr

shadamehr

'That' Avatar Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Can't find this contract of which you speak, shadamehr. Have you got a direct link handy?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i did mention i-mode yeah?

Try this for size:

http://shop.o2.co.uk/iMode

That will show you the tariffs - and handsets on i-mode.

There ARE however, some other phones currently available on this deal - so best bet is to have a look around, and maybe even RING the sales number shown on the website.

You never know, you might even be able to get the Samsung i300 SmartPhone on one of these tariffs if you are persistant enough with the sales bod.

Certainly from an UPGRADES point of view, I got two non-i-mode phones on this tariff.

It's official name by the way is the Online 500 18 Month tariff.

Posted Image

shadamehr

shadamehr

'That' Avatar Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Shadamehr... the reason you find people raving on more about the C600 is it's free on a cheap O contract, and it's not very easy to get the SP5 at a decent price!

I like the form factor of the SP5 too, so that wouldn't influence my purchase decision...

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But the sp5 is ALSO free on most O2 tariffs (what's so great about NEW orange contracts these days compared to other networks?), with most Online dealers.

Mine cost not a jot, and the tariff was usual fare... nowt special, but nowt rip off.

And besides, I never meant in terms of NUMBERS of users, = numbers of posts Paul...

I merely meant the view held of the sp5 COMPARED to the view held of the sp5...

If you look round the boards, the sp5 seems to get an unfair press from lots of people, who later do not give the C600 an unfair press.

That's really the bit I meant *lol*

Posted Image

Dr Who

Dr Who

Timelord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

i did mention i-mode yeah?

Try this for size:

http://shop.o2.co.uk/iMode

That will show you the tariffs - and handsets on i-mode.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers Shadamehr. What a truly abysmal website to navigate. Designed by somebody who had never used the internet it would seem.

BTW, Paul, where is the i300 review?

Dr Who

Dr Who

Timelord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

But the sp5 is ALSO free on most O2 tariffs (what's so great about NEW orange contracts these days compared to other networks?), with most Online dealers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Honest, I have used the internet before BUT I can't find the sp5 on the O2 website anywhere. Not filling me with confidence if I am honest.

jporch316

jporch316

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Devices:Diamond Tattoo Optimus
Nope - SP5 def not on the O2 website - you are right doctor - i looked at the page for 5 mins before i was able to click on something!!

Its like one of those 3d pictures where you have to look hard to see the hidden image!!!

Cant wait for K9 in ep 3!!!!

Dr Who

Dr Who

Timelord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
If he makes it out of the TARDIS without breaking down............

willieturnip

willieturnip

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Devices:spv m600, SE k750i, SE p900
thanks for the great review...though i went down the m600 route. Having used varius smartphones including an SP5m, i decided to go for a ppc. hope i made the right choice :rolleyes:

i got my m600, and i gotta say....its kicks ass!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users