Vodafone Smartphones

Guest furby

Guest vardhanr

I noticed this link today as well. Last night I spotted this press release from Vodafone http://www.vodafone.com/assets/files/en/Vo...sinessEmail.pdf

that also mentions the 1240 and 1640.

I called Vodafone today, and the guy first thought that the v1240 was the same as the Qtek 8020. However later he amended his view that it was the Qtek8310. However he was unable to access any specs. The phone v1240 was in stock and he could let me have it.

Anyone else know whether the v1240 is infact an SP5/8310?

Vardhan

Noticed this today. Don't think I've seen it posted anywhere, nor did I realise that Vodafone did all these phones. Are the Vodafone V1240 and 1640 out yet?

http://217.199.164.178/vodafone/smart.htm

post-22960-1138877201_thumb.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The phone v1240 was in stock and he could let me have it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sweet, must get one :)

According to coolsmartphone it's a rebranded iMate SP5/HTC Tornado

Edited by Furby™

yup indeed they are doing smartphones now and good that they have an Asus one!

you will hear more about the products and software in the near future - watch this space :) thats all i gotta say :D

Guest fluffcat1
yup indeed they are doing smartphones now and good that they have an Asus one!

The Asus isn't a smatphone it's a pocket PC running PPC2003SE.

Vodafone have been 'doing' smartphones for a while, they have had the mpx220 available for a year or so, and also the Qtek 8020 ( as well as the VPX / VPA branded HTC pocket pcs)

These are the first vodafone branded smartphones, but they are not the first vodafone supplied smartphones.

you will hear more about the products and software in the near future - watch this space :) thats all i gotta say :D

You imply you have some inside source - care to share more or do you just search the internet like everyone else?...

Vodafone have been sending out press releases for a while concerning smartphones using Vodafone Blackberry Connect so it's not exactly fresh news.

As for hearing 'more about products and software in the near future' - their only differentiator from other HTC clones (according to the specs released) is the Blackberry Connect push email and that's already out there and in use.

Richard

Guest Pondrew

Is it confirmed that it's a Tornado? That it's got wifi? Just worried they'll do a T-Mobile and release a Tornado case with old hardware inside (the SDA II managed to use the same case as the SP5m but with HTC Hurricane hardware inside).

Guest spacerace
Is it confirmed that it's a Tornado? That it's got wifi? Just worried they'll do a T-Mobile and release a Tornado case with old hardware inside (the SDA II managed to use the same case as the SP5m but with HTC Hurricane hardware inside).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Coolsmartphone.com states the V1240 is the Vodafone version of the SP5 and that yes it includes WiFi.

http://www.coolsmartphone.com/news2111.html

Mine will be arriving Tuesday so can confirm then if no-one gets theirs sooner.

Guest Cybertronic

Boo! :)

I thought my i-mate SP5 was exclusive for being with Vodafone :D. Now they've got their own :D

I'm glad that Vodafone are stocking more Smartphones though :)

Guest vardhanr

Hi

Mine arrived last week, and it does look like it is the SP5/8310.

Wifi is present.

Now I have to figure out how to use a smartphone (my first).

Would appreciate someone pointing me to the right place to see how to set up email. I have multiple email accounts (POP3), and on my laptop all emails arrive into the Inbox. However, on the phone with pull email, I have a separate inbox for each account. Bit of a pain. Any workarounds?

Also, I read in the forums that Activesync 4.1 is out. Voda supplied me with 4.0. Should I try to upgrade? What is the additonal functionality?

Thanks

V

Coolsmartphone.com states the V1240 is the Vodafone version of the SP5 and that yes it includes WiFi.

http://www.coolsmartphone.com/news2111.html

Mine will be arriving Tuesday so can confirm then if no-one gets theirs sooner.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest vardhanr

I will try to answer, but I am a rookie too....

1. I think this is an SPV C600 with Wifi. As far as I can tell, it is an identical phone to the Qtek 8310 and the i-mate SP5, with all of the functionality including Wifi. (but you cannot sync with your PC over Wifi! only bluetooth, infrared or usb). the only use for the wifi seems to be to browse the internet without using GPRS

2. Push email is the same as a Blackberry email service. Emails are sent to your phone, rather than you having to set up a GPRS connection to download your emails. Vodafone have a push email service (that they charge for). Imate I think has one from their website that is free. Qtek have a chargeable service. I think that the key advantage of push is that you dont have to think about it, the charges are a flat rate rather than dependent on the data you download.

I am still trying to figure this stuff out - any comments, tips etc would be welcome!

v

Couple of questions from a thickie.

1. Is this an SPV C600 with wi-fi?

2. What is push-email, as opposed to ordinary email ?

ta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1) Almost... (99.99% yes)

2) Push is where a server says "Hey dude you got new mail, here it is!" ordinary on a mob is where you sync it, so you think "I know ill check, hey I have new mail..."

bump

EDIT:

anyone with exchange 2003 can configure a push service :)

there are a few whitepapers floating round the web on this...

Edited by PaceUK

Guest spacerace

no this has a different form factor from the C600. it is largely the same phone in terms of functionality except the C600 doesn't have WiFi which is decision made by Orange, but the form factor (shape) of the phone are different.

The C600 is very similar to the C500 in terms of shape/size.

Guest fluffcat1
Hi

Mine arrived last week, and it does look like it is the SP5/8310.

Wifi is present.

Now I have to figure out how to use a smartphone (my first). 

Is yours branded Vodafone or Qtek? I've just got a free upgrade to one ( on an old anytime 25 tariff @ £12.50 p/m exaclty two months before it was due :D ) and they insisted it was a Qtek V1240 they were sending me tomorrow...

...we'll see.

Props to Vodamoan for releasing a VoIP capable handset though. Suckers.... :)

Richard

Guest vardhanr

Hi Richard,

Mine is branded Vodafone, not Qtek. The chaps on the phone did not have much details, but they told me it was a qtek phone. (ie HTC I guess).

I think that they were telling me information on the handset from www.gsmarena.com

By the way mine came unlocked! ie I can use an Orange sim in it.

V

Is yours branded Vodafone or Qtek? I've just got a free upgrade to one ( on an old anytime 25 tariff @ £12.50 p/m exaclty two months before it was due :D ) and they insisted it was a Qtek V1240 they were sending me tomorrow...

...we'll see.

Props to Vodamoan for releasing a VoIP capable handset though. Suckers.... :)

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest spacerace

yes the vodafone guy I got finally "found" it on his system in the QTek section. Their press release shows it as Vodafone branded though.

Unfortunately Vodafone have just done away with the Anytime 25 tariff so no £12.50 bills any more. (If your currently on it your fine)

imate is better in many ways i believe - free software bundled including the virus killer! They also throw in a free cover in the package.

plus it was out months earlier than the C600 which orange are well... lets not go there.

Guest spacerace

yes, its just harder to get the imates and qteks on contracts with networks. more and more internet shops are now stocking them but they're not as available as the networks mainstream offerings....

Guest fluffcat1

Got mine today, despite the invoice and c.s telling me it's a Qtek it's fully vodafone branded with a custom rom ver 5.1.70.14406 radio 4.0.13.20_01.09.00.

Nice grey / red colour scheme, default background is a map of the world and startup splash is a globe 'grid' of lat / long lines with the voda logo zooming past. Doubt we'll see any updates mind you. Don't know whether this affects the sp5 also, but build quality is a bit poor - feels lighter and slightly worse put together than my sp5m, and if I gently flick my finger over the joystick cover it moves / rocks as if the cover is loose on top of the microswtich? Said joystick cover therefore rattles when you shake phone. Not that I shake phones much but you get the idea...

No proprietary apps I can see from 10 mins use, might well send it back unless I can get voda connect blackberry push email working. Rang C.S to ask about Blackberry connect and they wanted to know what model blackberry I wanted to connect it to..... :cry:

Richard

post-145647-1139347379_thumb.jpg

post-145647-1139347421_thumb.jpg

post-145647-1139347476_thumb.jpg

post-145647-1139347623_thumb.jpg

Guest spacerace

I got mine today aswell. Build quality doesn't seem that bad to me. Feels nice and solid when held, the joystick has a little play in it in the 'home' position, but I think this is the joystick casing not the joystick itself. Joystick is much better in use than my C550. The buttons are also very good, nice and tactile. The spacing of the buttons on this (the SP5 as opposed to SP5m/C550) model is very nice and easy to work on.

Edited by spacerace

Guest vardhanr

Just noticed one small difference between the 8310 and the v1240.

The processor is TI OMAP850 same as the 8310

Speed though is 195MHz vs 200 for the 8310.

Strange.

V

Guest Prof. Yaffle

Hmmm..... just tried calling Vodafone Sales about swapping to a V1240 as I'm currently with Orange and retentions want £80 (even though it's £50 online) to upgrade from a C500 to a C600! The guy at Vodafone who answered found it on the system as a QTek but said it was shown as being not in stock but not out of stock(!) and he couldn't tell me a price. :roll: Sounded as if he couldn't even be bothered to try finding out.