C550 ROM, bin image

Guest ElGato65

Guest ElGato65

Is it possible to load ROM from bin image like C500 from miniSD card? If so any ideas where I get one from? Need to reset phone, and hard reset just isn't working.

Guest ElGato65

Cheers mini_man. I actually need a clean Orange ROM, as I assume mine will now be useless because of the "mistake" I made in the registry. Or will this extract a "clean" ROM?

I want to reload a ROM from a bin image stored on a miniSD card.

Guest mini_man

oh rite, well with my current argument with orange im trying to get a new one out. If your saying you want somones elses rom i think i MoDaCo says its illegal to trade it on the forum

Guest ElGato65

Yeah know what you're saying, but I only need original Orange ROM. It's not like I'm trying to load something else. I was actually just trying to set it back up for a friend after a hard reset.

Thanks for your comments, hope you manage to brow beat Orange into releasing a new ROM soon, it could be my only hope.

Edited by ElGato65

Guest ElGato65

Well I extracted ROM, and it seems it does do it clean, thankfully. I guess this is good to know. Am now reloading it via miniSD. Thanks again mini_man for your comments and the link.

Guest ElGato65

OK now I have the ROM image on the miniSD card I feel I ought to make it into a .bin file.

I have in the past used some GUI program to copy the RAW data from the miniSD to an image file, but for the life of can not remember what it is called.

Can someone jog my memory.

Guest ElGato65

It's 4.21.1088 (Build 15159.2.6.4) and the program is WinHEX.

Not having a good day, got phone working again, tried font change again, screwed phone, reloaded ROM again, now seem to have screwed miniSD card. :)

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

Hi El Gato,

I will try to help you on the font part as I haven't tried the ROM backup procedure myself. I see you are trying to change the fonts on your C550. May I know which procedures are you following?

Months back I remember doing a tutorial on 'font linking' technique. It is the same technique I use to change fonts on my C550 and I don't encounter any problem with it. My C500 still boots (see attached pix). You can read about it here.

pict05118cr.th.jpg

Should you have question/s regarding the technique, feel free to post them here at the forum and I will make every effort to help you.

:)

Guest ElGato65

Thanks for the generous offer, but all sorted now, aside from the duff 128mb miniSD. :)

I was just using the FontPath part, so part of what you have described in your technique. Don't seem to need the Fontlink part;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FontPath]

"FontPath"="\Storage\windows\Fonts\Segoe"

I have done this a hundred times before, just that I screwed up the location, :roll: . I was in fact missing the \Storage folder from the original attempts. This has the unfortunate side effect of stopping the phone from booting.

The only way back was to extract the ROM using Tera Term Pro, and boot from the miniSD to reload it.

Edited by ElGato65