tomtom

Guest J273

Im thinking of getting a gps reciever .....whats tomtom like on the wizard does it run fast idont want to be overclocking or anything.How longs it take to load up ive heard that copilot takes an age to startup becasue of the slow processor.

Im actually using a jammin but virtually the same device

Thanks

Guest ultimate_fish

No problems at all. I've tried making calls with tomtom running and it's fine.

I've read reports of it all getting a bit slow once the POIs are switched on.

Guest RichardD

The diy install reads like a lot of effort, I'm still waiting for them to announce an official release for the Wizard.

I wonder if they need any beta testers !? :)

I didn't need to do the DIY install and mine''s working fine.

Out of interest, those that are experiencing a "slow" TomTom, how many POI's do you have switched on?

Guest RichardD
I didn't need to do the DIY install and mine''s working fine.

Which version number came in the box please and was it on cd-rom ?

Did you follow TomTom's install procedure or copy the files onto a mini SD yourself ?

Are you using their BT GPS?

I've found a place in Herts that stock TomTom,

but I can't imagine they'd let me try before I buy to make sure it works on my o2 XDA Mini S. :cry:

Guest awarner [MVP]

It will work on your Mini S without a problem, a wizard is a wizard at the end of the day.

Unless O2 really screwed their ROM but that is highly unlikely.

Guest RichardD

Thanks.

I should've added "...without any faffing around".

It's not something I want to spend time getting to work, especially after spending all that money on it.

Guest Swampie
Which version number came in the box please and was it on cd-rom ?

Did you follow TomTom's install procedure or copy the files onto a mini SD yourself ?

Are you using their BT GPS?

I've found a place in Herts that stock TomTom,

but I can't imagine they'd let me try before I buy to make sure it works on my o2 XDA Mini S.  :cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seeing as I understand you need to activate the product before it can be used, I very much doubt they'll let you try before you buy.

Guest RichardD
I had it working first time on my vario but I am using the TomTom GPRS unit.
I intend to get the Navigator pack including their BT GPRS unit.

Were you able to follow this install guide then ?

http://www.tomtom.com/support/category.php...uage=1&FID=4164

Did you install it on a mini-sd with other stuff, or on a mini-sd specially for TomTom ?

The place I ordered mine from came on an SDCard as they were charging extra for a miniSD version. I didn't want to pay the extra as I was copying it all onto my 1GB miniSD card anyway.

I just copied the entire contents from the SD to the miniSD and activated it the way I would have done if I were just using the SDcard. I had the latest version from TomTom and I also have the TomTom GPS mouse, I did accidently order the slightly cheaper version which came with a non-descript GPS mouse which was terrible and kept crashing my phone, so I sent it back for the genuine TomTom one which hasn't locked up my phone once and I have tested it considerably now.

The speed camera database is v.handy by the way, my subscription was included in the retail price, it makes me use TomTom even if I know where I'm going.

Haven't found a POI for pubs yet, so handy tip, switch on the church POI instead due to the pub/church 3 mile rule :)

Guest Wombleuk

>Haven't found a POI for pubs yet, so handy tip, switch on the church POI instead due to the pub/church 3 mile rule

3 Miles? I thought it was walking distance !

I was told you will always be able to find a pub within a 3 mile radius of a church, hasn't failed yet. But then your also right cause it's rare to see a pub more than a few yards from a church.

Then there's the extreme, can't remember where it is, but you open the door of the church and walk straight into the pub!

Guest Swampie

I've not yet got my Vario (probably getting it in a week or so), but I do have access to a iPaq here at work which is supported by TomTom. So, I was thinking of picking up TomTom in the next few days and trying it out on there before moving it onto the Vario when I get it.

However, I'm aware that TomTom has to be 'activated' before it can be used. Does this restrict me to the number of devices I can use it on? When I get my Vario, I'm not looking to use TomTom on other devices - but I'm just impatient and realising I had a suitable Pocket PC on my desk, it sounded a nice idea to try it out whilst I can. But if it's not going to allow me to move it to the Vario later, then I won't bother.

Any advice?

Thanks

Guest tsutton
However, I'm aware that TomTom has to be 'activated' before it can be used.  Does this restrict me to the number of devices I can use it on? 

Tomtom can reset it, but you have to submit proof of purchase, the reason why you want to reset it and any other paperwork they ask you.

Edited by tsutton

Guest Swampie
Tomtom can reset it, but you have to submit proof of purchase, the reason why you want to reset it and any other paperwork they ask you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So in short, it's a pain in the butt and not worth it just for a week. :)

Good to know it can be transferred in the future.

Thanks

Guest RichardD
I just copied the entire contents from the SD to the miniSD and activated it the way I would have done if I were just using the SDcard.

Just to pass on that this worked for me on my o2 XDA Mini S too.

I copied the files via bluetooth onto the Sandisk miniSD I got from mobymemory.

My GPRS is only set up for MMS, but I had BT active sync running and WiFi to my home router, and the auto activate thing worked first time.

Can't comment on performance as I've never used TomTom before so have nothing to compare it to.

There seems a slight delay occasionally in the voice commands, after you've already crossed a mini roundabout for example,

but I imagine that's the usual GPS lag rather than the Wizard / TomTom software.

Guest turbo lemon

It runs, but it's the slowest device I've ever run Tomtom on. That's with only favourites showing. I installed Checkpoint and it was so horribly slow, I had to uninstall it sharpish.