T-Mobile Web 'N Talk

Guest rockykabir

Guest rockykabir

I've decided to upgrade to T-Mobile's Web N' Talk which seems to be a pretty good deal from their website.

I often find myself in situations where getting net access would be quite useful. For example, finding a bus route from the london transport website, checking price on web before purchasing something etc...

For anyone with the Web 'N Talk tariff, has 40MB proven to be sufficient for you?

Another query is MSN Messenger. Sometimes, I'll like to keep it on in the background for people to IM me wherever. What is the bandwidth costs on that say if I was to leave it on all day (12 hours) on moderate use for example?

Guest spdabbs
I've decided to upgrade to T-Mobile's Web N' Talk which seems to be a pretty good deal from their website.

I often find myself in situations where getting net access would be quite useful. For example, finding a bus route from the london transport website, checking price on web before purchasing something etc...

For anyone with the Web 'N Talk tariff, has 40MB proven to be sufficient for you?

Another query is MSN Messenger. Sometimes, I'll like to keep it on in the background for people to IM me wherever. What is the bandwidth costs on that say if I was to leave it on all day (12 hours) on moderate use for example?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been on that package for a couple of months now and I've found 40meg is more than enough. For the sake of speed I tend to have my web browser set to not load images the majority of the time, this will also help reduce your total downloads if you're likely to be doing lots of surfing.

Not sure about the MSN connection usage when idle, can't imagine that it'll be more than a few K though.

Guest Swampie

My Vario on W'n'W 200 should be arriving this morning. :) I think 40MB is excessive for my needs as it has WiFi which I'll use at work and at home. Only out of the office/home will I need data, and 40MB should be plenty for me. I rarely used > 1.5MB a month on my old SPV C500, although I rarely used data!

You are aware that half price line rental deals (assuming you're eligable for them with upgrades) are ending on Feb 28th?

D

Guest Phil Lee

I've only come close to using my 40Mb limit once and that was because I was away from home for 10 days over Christmas and used my Vario as a modem for my PC so I could access the internet on a larger screen.

Guest daftveggie

So long as you're carful with your settings you'd be hard pressed to use 40Mb.

little things like when you set up a pop3 email account, only download the first 3kb of the message rather than that whole thing (makes it much faster as well)

I've never come close to the limit and that is using it as my only email client for over a month, using MSN and regular net surfing.

One thing I would say about the MSN in the background though, the GPRS connection is gonna kill your battery, watch out for that more than the data usage.

Guest windmillhills

No, be careful. If you have Broadband on your main PC you will probably be used to viewing much more than 1MB a day and thus at danger of going over the limit each month.

The standard rate for T-mobile is £7.50/MB or about 7.3pence per KB. The first few days of having my MDA compact II, I visited normal sites (ie not WAP versions) such as BBC News, Streetmap, Google etc. On the first day I used 6.5MB and the next 4.5MB. I also was downloading IMAP email headers, but with about 300 spams a day even this adds up. So it was ouch, about £75 of data in two days.

I quickly bookmarked just the WAP versions of the sites like I used to view for a few pence on my T610. I also binned checking email. If I ever get a wifi card to work on this device, then this will be the way that I check websites/mail.

If you think you will be a heavy WAP user, it might be worth just paying T-mobile for a data bundle on top of your normal contract. I would suggest 6MB to be safe.

Allowance Cost per month

1MB £2

6MB £5

12MB £10

20MB £15

55MB £25

110MB £40

256MB £55

Good luck

Guest spdabbs
But if he's getting a Web n Walk contract he gets 40Mb of data as standard and the run on is charged at £1 per Mb (if I remember correctly).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's right - only £1 per meg over the monthly allowance with 40meg included as standard :)

Guest TomaHawk
Allowance    Cost per month

1MB            £2

6MB            £5

12MB          £10

20MB          £15

55MB          £25

110MB        £40

256MB        £55

Good luck

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how do you buy this?

on the site i can see how to buy text bundles and wap but not gprs data.

any ideas?

I was wondering that myself tomahawk. I have just cancelled my orange contract, and have a month to think about what I want to upgrade to. Am definitely tempted by the Vario, but I don't fancy paying for 40 meg of GPRS which I'll never use. Never really used the 4meg orange gave me!

I will go back to lurking now :)

Guest rockykabir
how do you buy this?

on the site i can see how to buy text bundles  and wap but not gprs data.

any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found the T-Mobile page a bit of a hassle to navigate - I couldn't find the pages for adding SMS bundles to your contract for example. I'm pretty sure you can add bundles...just not to U-Fix tariffs that is..

You are aware that half price line rental deals (assuming you're eligable for them with upgrades) are ending on Feb 28th?

Damn...that puts me in a dilemma...wait until my two months are over (i.e. £30 worth of line rental) and then hope that a new tariff comes out, or start the new Web N Walk tariff?

Outta experience, do you guys reckon that this half price deal with Web N Walk 200 is the best that T-Mobile has to offer or do you recommend waiting? (I can pass the old U-Fix Sim card to a friend/family member).

Guest orangezorki

I know that the 40Mb does not roll over to the next month, but does anyone know if the minutes do or not? - this info is less easy to find on Tmobiles web site.

Thanks,

David.

Guest rockykabir

It is kinda shocking how cryptic the T-Mobile site is. It all looks very simple but its quite difficult to find the information :)

As far as I am aware, 02 only offer rollover Data allowance - I don't *think* T-Mobile offers it though. I don't think they even offer rollover minutes and texts :D :)

Another thought just came to me, I'm thinking of hopefully using T-Mobile/Microsoft Direct Push Email service (when it comes out). Do you guys happen to know whether T-Mobile has indicated whether it'll be possible to use Web N' Walk and the 40MB available as bandwidth?

*maybe its a bit early to ask!*

Guest Swampie
It is kinda shocking how cryptic the T-Mobile site is. It all looks very simple but its quite difficult to find the information :)

As far as I am aware, 02 only offer rollover Data allowance - I don't *think* T-Mobile offers it though. I don't think they even offer rollover minutes and texts :D :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

T-Mobile don't allow rollover of minutes, and W'n'W data does not roll over either.

I've found their site really helpful as a new customer. Certainly their 'My T-Mobile' site is excellent, seems you can do practically anything you can think of with it. Certainly can see calls made the same day and minutes/data usage remaining.

If you compare it's to Orange's website it's night and day.

Guest spdabbs
I found the T-Mobile page a bit of a hassle to navigate - I couldn't find the pages for adding SMS bundles to your contract for example. I'm pretty sure you can add bundles...just not to U-Fix tariffs that is..

Damn...that puts me in a dilemma...wait until my two months are over (i.e. £30 worth of line rental) and then hope that a new tariff comes out, or start the new Web N Walk tariff?

Outta experience, do you guys reckon that this half price deal with Web N Walk 200 is the best that T-Mobile has to offer or do you recommend waiting? (I can pass the old U-Fix Sim card to a friend/family member).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depending on how much talktime you actually need (I don't use a whole lot), I got my Vario from expansys.com on the Web n Walk 100 package, the phone(/PDA) itself was only about £25, and the line rental is £30/month, with the first 6 months half price (18 month contract). Maybe if you phoned T-Mobile and spoke to someone they'd be prepared to tailor the deal to better suit your needs?

Guest Swampie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depending on how much talktime you actually need (I don't use a whole lot), I got my Vario from expansys.com on the Web n Walk 100 package, the phone(/PDA) itself was only about £25, and the line rental is £30/month, with the first 6 months half price (18 month contract). Maybe if you phoned T-Mobile and spoke to someone they'd be prepared to tailor the deal to better suit your needs?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Swampie
Depending on how much talktime you actually need (I don't use a whole lot), I got my Vario from expansys.com on the Web n Walk 100 package, the phone(/PDA) itself was only about £25, and the line rental is £30/month, with the first 6 months half price (18 month contract)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BTW - I think you'll find it's the first 3 months half price (months 1-3), and the last 3 months (months 16-18) are half price (and then half price forever until you upgrade etc).

Guest rockykabir

Thanks a million guys :)

I think I'll go for it. I'm actually gonna pay quite a bit of it upfront using the money from selling my Compact. I'll speak to T-Mobile to see if this is possible.

The Web N' Walk 200 is 12 months £19 off rental I think. Discounts are in months 1-9 and 16-18 which works out to be quite nice :D

My only prob is that I'll be interested in having Push Email in the future (with Microsoft's Activesync). I'm wonder whether T-Mobile will be able to accommodate this in Web N' Walk?

Nevertheless, internet access everywhere with me? what more can I want? :)

Guest Alsicole

The good thing about T-Mobile is that you can buy your handset and new line and transfer your number on to it after the fact, you don't have to have your PAC code when you get it. Vodafone told me that's not possible. What I think they meant is that they don't do it. Handover from Voda to T-Mobile was beautifully handled by T-Mo. The only delay involved was caused by Voda.

Guest Swampie
Thanks a million guys :)

I think I'll go for it. I'm actually gonna pay quite a bit of it upfront using the money from selling my Compact. I'll speak to T-Mobile to see if this is possible.

The Web N' Walk 200 is 12 months £19 off rental I think. Discounts are in months 1-9 and 16-18 which works out to be quite nice :D

My only prob is that I'll be interested in having Push Email in the future (with Microsoft's Activesync). I'm wonder whether T-Mobile will be able to accommodate this in Web N' Walk?

Nevertheless, internet access everywhere with me? what more can I want? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would recommend looking at the Self Serve option which would safe £3 per month on Web'n'Walk 200 I think (so just £16/£35 per month). Some risk that you might have to call the, but doing it from a landline bypasses the charges I believe.

With regard to paying up front on T-Mobile. I think you can do that. I've noticed that on the My T-Mobile site (where you can modify your account etc), you can opt for quarterly or annual billing. So you might only be able to pay monthly, quarterly or annually, and if the sale of your Compact doesn't cover the annual cost, you might have to supplement it (or opt for quarterly).

Guest rockykabir

oh just remembered another thing,

Do they charge you for transferring a number from a Virgin PAYG Sim Card? I got the sim from one of those free sim links but hadn't really used it (I like the number tho tbh) - would Virgin allow me to transfer?

Say it was to take time - how long would T-Mobile allow before I won't be able to change numbers anymore?

Guest Swampie
oh just remembered another thing,

Do they charge you for transferring a number from a Virgin PAYG Sim Card? I got the sim from one of those free sim links but hadn't really used it (I like the number tho tbh) - would Virgin allow me to transfer?

Say it was to take time - how long would T-Mobile allow before I won't be able to change numbers anymore?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Virgin do not charge for transferring numbers. You might need some credit if you have to pay to call their CS and have to call from the phone.

AFAIK for T-Mobile, no charge. No time limit. A number can be ported into a contract at any time.

T-Mobile have a dedicated number for porting requests, and this can be called from a landline if necessary.

Guest Honest John

In case there is any doubt, although at las look the T-Mobile web site did not say as much, the half price offer on Web n Walk DEFINITELY FINISHES on the 28th February.

I have just enquired with my contact in Direct Sales as I was ordering 6 of them and he confirmed this with me. (He is also 100% straight, so no sales pressure)

So if you want one, don't hang around. They are great devices and using a 15 minute GPRS sync from 6.45 a.m. - 6.30 p.m. and manual evening/weekend sync, plus some surfing, 40Mb is way over my needs.