70 replies to this topic

jonajuna

jonajuna

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Devices:Touch HD with L26HDV7.5 ROM
whats of more interest to me, is that now Tmob have absolutely no excuse for not issuing a rom that will fully enable the sdio slot

if us mere end users can create a workaround (thats a royal "us" btw :) ) then those professional we are paying for with our contracts should be able to sort it out

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II

whats of more interest to me, is that now Tmob have absolutely no excuse for not issuing a rom that will fully enable the sdio slot

if us mere end users can create a workaround (thats a royal "us" btw :) ) then those professional we are paying for with our contracts should be able to sort it out

I don't agree. All the workaround shows is that the problem isn't with the sdio slot but with the drivers and it's actually down to the wifi card producers to provide those, not T-Mobile.

I do however agree that the Compact II rom is WAY overdue and I'm fed up waiting!

jonajuna

jonajuna

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

I don't agree. All the workaround shows is that the problem isn't with the sdio slot but with the drivers and it's actually down to the wifi card producers to provide those, not T-Mobile.

I do however agree that the Compact II rom is WAY overdue and I'm fed up waiting!

the wifi drivers for the particular cards that work, work fine, just that a "patch" of installing the gpsinfo[1][1][1].2577.cab file is required first. i doubt that this file has anything to do with wifi and everything to do with sdio

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
But wifi drivers by definition communicate between the SDIO card and the device. If they weren't sufficient to do that (and it seems some providers drivers were...) then they needed to be tweaked by the card provider. All T-Mobile/HTC do is certify that the device is SDIO compatible. It's upto the sdio card producers to write the appropriate drivers and write their compatibility list. Then it's upto us to shop for a card that is compatible with our device...

At least, that's my opinion anyway. :)

The good news of course is that now those involved have identified that some drivers work there's no reason why all wifi card sellers shouldn't adapt their drivers accordingly.

fUNKUS

fUNKUS

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Devices:MDA Compact II

Then it's upto us to shop for a card that is compatible with our device...

Id be inclined to agree with you if there had been a single wifi card that worked without a sdio based workaround. Plus the new german rom suddenly makes these devices work, so it looks like it is the rom.

T-mobile Germany have (with very interesting timing! :) ) released a rom update that makes wifi sdio's work and brings back the connection manager ect. German xda usered have confirmed this.We just have to wait for them to translate it i expect.

The download manager now says 'Release Expected: TBC' , hopefully this is good news

Edited by fUNKUS, 21 June 2006 - 02:34 AM.

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
Funkus, the new T-Mobile UK MDA Compact II rom is here too as of yesterday. Have you tried it yet?

From what you say there was a fix possible in rom which T-Mobile have finally delivered. All's well that ends well (hopefully?)

Roadhog

Roadhog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Funkus, the new T-Mobile UK MDA Compact II rom is here too as of yesterday.

Where is it? I've never been able to find any link to any rom update for any device on the uk tmob site.

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
Right here at the T-Mobile Download Manager site.

Roadhog

Roadhog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Right here at the T-Mobile Download Manager site.

Thank you. Has anyone installed the update and managed to get a previously incompatible wifi card to work without the gps workaround?

fUNKUS

fUNKUS

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
OMG :)

Thanks for catching that cant belive i misread it :)

Will test SDW820 and Sandisk 256+wifi tomorrow on new rom

impy78

impy78

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II/Hermes

OMG :)

Thanks for catching that cant belive i misread it :)

Will test SDW820 and Sandisk 256+wifi tomorrow on new rom

Does it work???!!!

Posted Image

fUNKUS

fUNKUS

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Does it work???!!!

Apologies again for delays but I forgot that since I moved house a couple of days ago its gunna be a while till I get connected. Dialup's not working yet either so I won't be able to test anything just yet.

Ill be connected and testing asap.

(posting from my mdac2)

jonajuna

jonajuna

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

(posting from my mdac2)

oooo get him!

:)

fUNKUS

fUNKUS

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

oooo get him!

:)

:) hehe

Will have telephone line by mon-wed so ill get the rom over dialup by fri lol. 50mb over gprs would cost!

Anyone else had wifi success with this new rom?

Roadhog

Roadhog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Will have telephone line by mon-wed so ill get the rom over dialup by fri lol. 50mb over gprs would cost!

crikey, wouldn't like to download 50+mb over dialup. it'll take hours. suppose it'll be quicker than someone sending it to you on cd though.

fUNKUS

fUNKUS

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Is there noone else out there with a spectec or similar new sdio card who can try out the rom?

Bt have been mucking me about so I'm gunna still be using 56k untill after the 24th!

40% downloaded so far tho hehe, ill have it all in a few days, eventually!

fUNKUS

fUNKUS

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ok I've finally got the rom by finding a cheap dialup and a good download manager, will test and post results tomorrow.

(apologies for the long wait....a misguided bt rep even cut my new phone line off for a week for no apparent reason!)

fUNKUS

fUNKUS

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Posting again via gprs so apoloies for brevity

The sdw820 spectec card will not work on the new t-mobile rom, infact the small 'i' icon that i sometimes saw on the old rom has now stopped appearing altogether.

Ill attempt to borrow another device to check that my spectec card isn't faulty but if this is not the case, it looks unlikely that the spectec card will work.

However

As anna has said the older Sandisk 256 & wifi now works fawlessly (without annas workaround), good news for some, but still not a perfect solution since these cards are expensive, large and getting rarer by the second.

Keep trying and Post details on any working cards to help those who cannot find the sandisk card.

garyeuph

garyeuph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

However

As anna has said the older Sandisk 256 & wifi now works fawlessly (without annas workaround), good news for some, but still not a perfect solution since these cards are expensive, large and getting rarer by the second.

Keep trying and Post details on any working cards to help those who cannot find the sandisk card.

Hi fUNKUS - does this mean all i have to do is plug the Sandisk card in for it to work, or are there still some drivers I need to get hold of?

fUNKUS

fUNKUS

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Hi fUNKUS - does this mean all i have to do is plug the Sandisk card in for it to work, or are there still some drivers I need to get hold of?

You'll need the drivers to get it working and more importantly the small program that includes an AP browser, its actually a verry neat little program that installs from the same file with the drivers call 'Pegas***'. It should be available from the official website, but ive also put it up on the brother thread to this one on the xda developers page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users