• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

Quenotte

Quenotte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:SPV C600

Version 1.4: The update we've all been waiting four! :-)

This version updates the GUI, optimizes the events, and adds direct control of OMAPClock to overclock/underclock your CPU. Note that I am not responsible for any harm done to your phone using OMAPClock.

BTW, your battery life can be greatly increased by underclocking your phone. The opposite effect happens when you overclock it.

Hi,

Thank you for your very useful soft but I've a request to improve it

Would it be possible to have two OMAPClock frequency settings? It would be great to have a frequency setting for power_On and another for power_backlightOff :)

Thanks in advance

bbrockie

bbrockie

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Devices:HTC Kaiser, Qtek 8310, hx4700
Hi there
Nice program you've made there :)
If I select any CPU speed below 180, my display starts to mess up a bit. It's mostly the top icons on my display (where the battery icon is) that starts to flicker.

Furthermore after installing Tornado PowerControl my screen is constantly on (bright). How can I change this back to normal?

I have a Qtek 8310, by the way

Girls are like phones. They love to be held and talked too but if you press the wrong button you'll be disconnected!

merwin

merwin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Devices:T-Mobile SDA (USA)

Hi,

Thank you for your very useful soft but I've a request to improve it

Would it be possible to have two OMAPClock frequency settings? It would be great to have a frequency setting for power_On and another for power_backlightOff :)

Thanks in advance

Not at the moment, no. I don't see much of a benefit to over/under clocking the phone when the backlight changes to dim... and if you're talking about useridle (when the backlight is off completely), it's best to let the phone do its own power saving there. It does a very good job at that part of the power saving.

merwin

merwin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Hi there
Nice program you've made there :)
If I select any CPU speed below 180, my display starts to mess up a bit. It's mostly the top icons on my display (where the battery icon is) that starts to flicker.

Furthermore after installing Tornado PowerControl my screen is constantly on (bright). How can I change this back to normal?

I have a Qtek 8310, by the way

Try the latest version (1.45). Some things have changed regarding the control of the display. Remember that this latest version requires Compact Framework 2.0 (read the release notes for a direct download to the 2mb file). CF2 can be installed directly to the storage card, so it won't take up space on your phone.

RSkillz

RSkillz

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Devices:HTC P4350, HTC S710, Qtek 8310

The HTC Tornado phone automatically resets CPU speed when the phone goes into power saving mode. TPC automatically changes the CPU speed when the phone comes out of power saving mode.

Does this mean you cant set a lower cpu speed using "Power_UserIdle.lnk" when the phone switches into power saving mode?

[GUIDE] Encode HQ Movies For QVGA Devices

iPaq 3640, Qtek 8310, iPaq rx3715, Qtek S200, HTC P4350, HTC S710, HTC 3700

merwin

merwin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Does this mean you cant set a lower cpu speed using "Power_UserIdle.lnk" when the phone switches into power saving mode?

You can do whatever you want with those links. The OMAPClock speed is set before any links are executed, so the link files always get the last word. However, I haven't tested running OMAPClock on UserIdle, and again, I really wouldn't recommend it since it already uses a very low amount of power when in that mode already.

RSkillz

RSkillz

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
Maybe it's a good idea to repack the install again without "Power_UserIdle.lnk" to avoid confusion?

RSkillz

RSkillz

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
I've placed a "PowerControl" shortcut in my startup folder containing the following command line for TornadoPowerControl 1.45:

60#"\Storage Card\Program Files\TornadoPowerControl\TornadoPowerControl.exe" bright hide

Tornado Power Control DOES start, BUT it doesn't hide automaticly anymore. Anyone with a possible solution?

(...Version 1.3 runs fine :) )

Edited by RSkillz, 07 July 2006 - 10:56 AM.

oz666

oz666

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Can you make an option for this program that reduce the light after an hour set by me (let's say 9 PM) and makes the light screen default after 7 AM ?

merwin

merwin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Maybe it's a good idea to repack the install again without "Power_UserIdle.lnk" to avoid confusion?

Well, you can still run things with it... nothing says you have to use the LNK files for OmapClock :-)

merwin

merwin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

I've placed a "PowerControl" shortcut in my startup folder containing the following command line for TornadoPowerControl 1.45:

60#"\Storage Card\Program Files\TornadoPowerControl\TornadoPowerControl.exe" bright hide

Tornado Power Control DOES start, BUT it doesn't hide automaticly anymore. Anyone with a possible solution?
(...Version 1.3 runs fine :) )

Sorry about that... the upgrade to Compact Framework 2.0 did break a couple of features. Version 1.4 should work just fine. I've updated the file description to include a link to version 1.4

I'll be working on a complete rewrite of the software to properly support the features of CF2.0 instead of all of the hacks that were implemented to work around the limitations of CF1.0, which should come fairly soon since the program is not all that complex.

merwin

merwin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Can you make an option for this program that reduce the light after an hour set by me (let's say 9 PM) and makes the light screen default after 7 AM ?

You could use a program such as XBar that has a scheduler built into it to launch the application with the 'dim' parameter and then with the 'bright' parameter to set it bright again. Currently, version 1.45 has issues with this part of it, so i've updated the file description to have a link to v1.4 which should work.

merwin

merwin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Version 2.0 Beta 1 released...

This one is a milestone. There is now Automatic CPU Overclocking/Underclocking that will switch between 116MHz, 180MHz, and 228MHz based on CPU Load.

It's also Compact Framework 2.0, so you'll need that installed first (as is stated in the release notes)

Have fun!

Unic0der

Unic0der

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Devices:i-Mate SP5
cool, but i would like to set my own mhz values. for example i would like to have 195, 220, 240 Mhz on my phone. :)

merwin

merwin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

cool, but i would like to set my own mhz values. for example i would like to have 195, 220, 240 Mhz on my phone. :)

That is planned... There will be a power-saving, a balanced, and a high-speed setting. I'm not sure if I'll go above 228, as that is the highest that many of the older Tornado phones will go without locking up... but we'll cross that bridge when the feature is implemented.

Right now I'd like feedback on the speed of transition, etc.

Corax

Corax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Devices:Qtek 8300

That is planned... There will be a power-saving, a balanced, and a high-speed setting. I'm not sure if I'll go above 228, as that is the highest that many of the older Tornado phones will go without locking up... but we'll cross that bridge when the feature is implemented.

Right now I'd like feedback on the speed of transition, etc.

Load balancing.... Interesting feature. :)

It think it is necessary (as already been mentioned) to make possible setting of user own under/overclocking limits. For example in registry values.

I am not sure that 116Mhz is stable freq (as lower bundary), and for skype I would prefer to use 240MHz (as upper boundary).

Second thing, that would be handy, is to add indication of current mode/frequency in top bar.
How else can I determine response of your app in different conditions?

Thanx.

merwin

merwin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Load balancing.... Interesting feature. :)

It think it is necessary (as already been mentioned) to make possible setting of user own under/overclocking limits. For example in registry values.

I am not sure that 116Mhz is stable freq (as lower bundary), and for skype I would prefer to use 240MHz (as upper boundary).

Second thing, that would be handy, is to add indication of current mode/frequency in top bar.
How else can I determine response of your app in different conditions?

Thanx.

116MHz is a very stable frequency, as long as the response to step it up is quick enough. Before I implemented the CPU stepping, I had my phone at 116MHz 24 hours a day, to conserve battery. It works very well for things like playing solitaire :-)

I will look into adding the freq to the top bar, or at least some indicator of speed. I'm not sure how to do it at the moment, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Sartre

Sartre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:QTek 8310
I've run the new beta of Tornado PowerControl on my QTek 8310 and it seems to work great in "automatic mode". No problems at all, the only thing I'm wondering is if the constant polling of the load on the processor will eat more battery than needed, since I read it polls this about four times a second!?

merwin

merwin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

I've run the new beta of Tornado PowerControl on my QTek 8310 and it seems to work great in "automatic mode". No problems at all, the only thing I'm wondering is if the constant polling of the load on the processor will eat more battery than needed, since I read it polls this about four times a second!?

4 times a second is almost nothing... It also stops polling the battery when the LCD shuts off, so it's not consuming any power at that point.

I tried it at once a second, but you don't get enough readings to accurately determine when to "kick it up a notch" :-)

Sartre

Sartre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:QTek 8310

4 times a second is almost nothing... It also stops polling the battery when the LCD shuts off, so it's not consuming any power at that point.

I tried it at once a second, but you don't get enough readings to accurately determine when to "kick it up a notch" :-)

Thanks for the response, I just thought that four times a second sounded like alot but your probably right about it being almost nothing. If you create a way of showing how many mhz the phone is running at in the top bar, please make this optional as I've allready got enough icons there :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users