Paul [MVP] and Gears love Orb, have you tried it?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Paul [MVP] and Gears love Orb, have you tried it?

Orb.gif

While browsing around the usual Windows Mobile sites this afternoon, I came across this article over at CoolSmartphone where Gears talks about the application 'Orb'.

Full details on Orb can be found at http://www.Orb.com.

In a nutshell, it is an application you install on your PC at home (I have it running on my Media Center), which allows you to access all of your various media types remotely, be it from a PC, Pocket PC, Smartphone or anything in fact with a web browser.

I use it most of the time for viewing pictures we have stored on our media center when i'm away from home, and it's particularly great as the first step after remote login performs a bandwidth test, and media is then reformatted on the fly for your device / connection.

As well as pictures, it can handle music and video of course (the music has to be DRM-free), and can even stream live TV if you have a TV card (although I confess I haven't tried that functionality yet!)

It's free, so give it a bash! ;)

P

logo-coolsmartphone.gif

Guest James

would love to try this out but.... yet ANOTHER site i can access due to the work SurfControl ;)

anyone know if it will work through a work firewall? i am guessing not without configuration?

Guest peekie

when i have had it downloaded ( now 3 times ) i click on the set up and get a warning that the set up is currupted , the option i used to download was bit torrent as i could not find another option to download it, could be that someone has damaged the file but i cannot get it to work ;)

Guest jmaki

this is by far one of the greatest software titles i have ever used. I use this ALL the time! I use it w/my cingular 8125 to stream music in my car and while at work, i use it to watch recorded tv w/my hauppage pvr-150 on my desktop (lost, conan, family guy, and more -- also while at work, haha) -- and great to share my photos and such when w/friends and family

how this is free.... NO IDEA.....but please don't change orb!!!

EDIT: and oh yah, the live tv thing works great as well!

Edited by jmaki

Guest jmaki

one thing I will say, is that if you are using it on a cell, if you have a slow connection, the audio/video will be a little noticably "washed out" -- it's not horrible...but it's like if you listen to radio stations that have "online" versions, you'll hear what I mean -- but even then....it's a little better than that, and it really is awesome

Guest mike-oh

Blimey! What an incredible bit of software!

Using my bluetooth connection in the house it's turned my PDA into a fully fledged 160Gb portable media player!

I've not tried it over GPRS yet, i'm afraid of the data costs. Incedentally can anyone recommend some decent data allowance t-mobile packages to me?

Guest xspyda

Excellent program! Even better if I could get it to work with my videos!

Any way to update codecs etc on mobile devices? Ie - any way I can stream xvid video and the like without the flashing all the time during playback?.

This is the same in both WMP and TCPMP and is not an issue with Orb at all, just wondered if anyone has come across this, or found a solution?

Guest xspyda
mike-oh, wait until 1st April ;)

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm a bit worried about the date it falls on but if the speculation proves to be correct I think some T-Mob customers are in for a treat ;-)

Here's hoping!

Guest Exploited

Is this software only for English and/or American users? It doesn't know any stations in my (Dutch) zipcode and then it refuses to install with the live-TV part enabled. ;)

Guest hunyango_uk

i've been using this since this morning and works great. though i can't make my audio and video files play on my windows mobile phones/ppc. but browsing the images/pictures is really brilliant, great software. ;)

Guest nickcornaglia

I used the app on my Smartphone in the past and it works GREAT. Can anyone explain how TV works in the app? Functionality and Quality???

Guest mike-oh

Oh come on! Someone spill the beans! What's happening on April 1st!? (i don't like the sound of that date!)

PM me or something! Pleeeeease!

Mike

Guest DJ Big D
Oh come on! Someone spill the beans! What's happening on April 1st!? (i don't like the sound of that date!)

PM me or something! Pleeeeease!

Mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too ;)

Guest mike-oh
,Mar 15 2006, 13:39]Haha, that's the rumoured release date of T-Mob's exciting new Data bundles...

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just how exciting? All you can eat for £2 exciting or an extra 500kb on my current allowance exciting?

and where have these rumours come from? ;)

Mike

Edited by mike-oh

Guest mike-oh

Ohhhh you mean that news! ;)

I only got as far down the page as orb!

£7.50 aint bad at all! Would be happy to pay that just to use Orb! ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.