XBOX 360 or Playstation3

Guest xda_gangsta

Guest B@man

It's gotta be PS3 all day...having said that i've also still got an original Nintendo & Mega Drive both of which i still use to kick the butts of my nephews. Well can't let them continue to embarass me on the new stuff can i?

Oh the day's of Super Metroid & the orginal Psycho Pinball ;)

Guest Confucious

While you lot are waiting for the PS3 I'm busy practicing on PGR3 - by the time the PS3 comes out I might be off novice level (but I doubt it!)

Guest midgetdiablo

If you look at the graphics, xbox 360 really is just a high-end pc that consumes a lot of power. In fact, some of the higher end PCs actually have significantly better image quality as compared to the 360 in certain games. Since PS3 isn't coming out until awhile, we can only rely on the trailers and presentations from the PS3 Conference (which states that all the trailers and presentations are running on the PS3 in realtime), which can be found online i think. and WOW, those graphics seriously beat xbox 360 anytime. At the moment, its hard to determine what problems PS3 will cause, but the PS3 will have an advantage in that they can fix on any problems or improve on any other aspect that the xbox360 has produced.

Therefore im patiently waiting for the PS3 ;)

Guest Confucious

I'll probably agree with you when the PS3 is released - my point is, the xbox is available now.

I've been using PCs for long enough to know that there is always something better due out (Wasn't it IBM who introduced FUD)

I'd rather have something now that is the best available now than wait for something that might be better sometime in the future.

But then I always was impatient....

Guest mike-oh

Personally i'm saving my pennies now for the PS3 it will be my first proper games console! and with the high starting price it may put a lot of people off and i may even stand a chance of getting one when they come out :P

You only need to put away about

Edited by mike-oh

Guest mike-oh

Probably true! ;)

On a slightly more serious note i'm quite suprised at the outcome of this poll. Bearing in mind this forum is, or certainly was, mainly occupied by early adopters of technology, gadgets etc. How many of us here were practically beta testers for the original SPV?!. I would've thought that the vote would've swinged in the way of the newer PS3 with it's blu ray drive.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest andymcaulay1

You're right MR Marshall that was a bit long winded, you'd never you you were in IT!!!

I had a playstation and when I first saw the PS2 I was completely underwhelmed. I ended up getting an Xbox.

Although superior in almost every way technically - the PS2 was a better console to have due to games support. Or at least until live!.

I got a 360 - mainly due to a failed Xbox and not wanting to buy a current-gen console when the new ones were on the verge of release. It is a very good console. Far from perfect but they are improving it's internal software and developers are getting better at coding for it (all consoles go through this process)

I think the PS3 will be a better console, technically, this time round but I don't think the margin will be as high as the PS2-Xbox comparison. The Cell processor is apparently revolutionary in design but Sony made exactly the same mistake with the PS2's emotion engine. Technically brilliant but no bugger knew how to program for it. Even now, at the end of it's life cycle only a fraction of games show anything close to its full potential - GT3 being the notable example.

I'm not sure about all these next gen DVD formats (at last count there are at least 5! Only Blu-ray and HD-DVD are likely to survive though). Both have similar capacities (BR is a bit higher), both cost more to make (Blu-ray a bit more expensive) and both require you to replace your TV with an inferior quality product (Sorry but I won't accept arguments on this. CRT monitors kick the ass of LCD and Plasma in terms of basic picture quality but manufacturers aren't going to release the HD CRT sets in the UK cos we all want pretty furniture) It doesn't matter which is better at the end of the day. The best format does not usually win. Betamax was better than VHS. Super-CD and DVD-Audio are better than CD. I think Sony's A-trac media format is better than MP3, and so on.

It's mainly due to Blu-ray that the PS3 isn't in production. Anyhoo - if you look at the expected life-cycle of both these consoles (which is probably about 4 years) I think the "Which format?" argument is going to be moot. Internet speeds are increasing at a rapid pace (in the lifespan of the xbox I've gone from 56kbps to 2000kbps and it is likely that I'll on on 10000Kbps by the end of the year). NTL are already trialling 24Mbps and 100Mbps connections and ADSL2+ is on trial with BT and others. In 4 years there will be a whole lot of people with enormous pipes. Also storage costs are still dropping at a massive rate (1gb SD cards for under £30 anyone?) I think optical media will be almost obsolete within 5 years.

Download video to disk or stream it at a fixed fee.

Also there is a good chance that both these formats will be superceded relatively soon by stuff like holographic media and the like.

Short answer - both consoles will be good. Both consoles will have good games. By the time the PS3 is out the 360 will be on it's second generation of games - which will hurt sony initially - but eventually they will be similar. The nintendo looks like it will be "interesting". Potentially it could be the winner but based entirely on gameplay, not immersion. I don't believe that they will port all games to all consoles this time out. The architecture of the core and powerpc mulit-core processors are far two different and it'll cost far too much to make it viable. I could be wrong and if I am you'll just get crap games. The rev won't be powerful enough to run most other next0-gen titles. According to nintendo's specs it will be about the same power as the current xbox or about double the cube.

If you have no great need for a console right now - wait till later in the year. Either the PS3 will knock your socks off or you'll be disappointed by it. Make the choice then. There will also be some top games for the 360, the price will probably drop, the HD-DVD add-on will be out to help swap your decision.

Even shorter answer - Buy a 360 - it rules!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest neilarmstrong

Great question...XBox 360 Or PS3...Hmmmm. I haven't got an XBox 360 yet and the PS3 is just around the corner. I have to say that the XBox 360 already has a bunch of games that I'd like to own...and from what I've read the PS3 is going to be way expensive! But, I guess you will be getting a Blu-Ray player as well...so perhaps the cost isn't so OTT.

• 4 months later...
Guest VulakAerr
XBOX 360, it has Gears of War :)

Damned straight. And this week there'll be 4-player co-op on R6 Vegas. And next year there'll be Halo 3!

Not to mention simple things like background downloads, rumble controllers and listening to my own music when I'm playing. PS3 is sadly lacking.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest markdotpeters5

I'm keeping an open mind about the PS3, but I have seen little to impress me so far. I mean, the 360 didn't blow me away that much to start with either, so things will probably improve for the PS3 too.

Just depends if a) you're rich and :D you're prepared to wait for the devs to start kicking out great games.

Gears of War is a pretty persuasive argument for the 360 too :)

Guest mike-oh

I've had a friends xbox360 for a few weeks now, and will hopefully get a play of gears of war today (then he'll take it back off me :D ).

It's an impressive piece of kit no doubt.

But....Unreal Tornament 2007 is coming out on PS3 (aswell as PC) and that looks simply awesome! :)

I sure as hell don't plan on keeping on upgrading the PC, so i think i'm sold on the PS3 on that basis alone.

OJSUU62SF7WMY2F66Y6CYCN5UNN4SXKH.jpg

(and welcome to zudeo, you'll need it to get the above trailer, a nice bit of kit to download)

Edited by mike-oh

Guest mike-oh
err, gears of war runs on the UT2007 engine.

Yes indeed they share the same engine, but the gameplay is far different. The dashing good looks of GOW and the (enhanced) gameplay of UT2004 = supreme combination.

• 2 months later...
Guest moonshot

If you want better gaming

Wii

Nintendo consoles are outselling all the others put together.

If you want better graphics

You will need the PS3

If you love Microsoft

X Box 360

;)

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Or if you consider the actual important side of a games console, you'll get the one that plays the games you actually want to play. For me, PS3 (GTA4 and MGS4, not to mention FF13+). Just need to find 500 quid from somewhere, oh, and a HD telly... ;)