RS232 on Blue Angel

Guest martint

Guest Ceilidh

No, I think the connector on the BA is USB-based.

[Edited due to A.R.A. - and no, I won't explain what that means.]

Edited by Ceilidh

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stabilo
No, the connector on the BA is USB-based.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a Blue Angel to 9 pin serial adaptor to attach serial devices to it.

I haven't been able to successfully connect a serial GPS or serial modem to the Blue Angel. I had assumed I had blown the 'com' port.

Are you saying that the Blue Angel port is basically a USB port and that normal serial devices will not work?

Do you have the pin outs for the 22 pin 'USB' port so I can make up a bespoke 'serial / USB' cable?

Guest fluffcat1
No, the connector on the BA is USB-based.

As with every topic on the internet, everyone has an opinion, and they're not always right...

The XDA connector pinout, device face up, pin 1 is on the left :

1 CAR_MIC_IN

2 GND / SENSE

3 CAR_AUDIO_R

4 CAR_AUDIO_L

5 ANALOG GND

6 RS232_DCD

7 RS232_CTS

8 RS232_TXD

9 RS232_RTS

10 RS232_RXD

11 RS232_DTR

12 IN_CALL

13 USB_VDD

14 UDC+

15 UDC-

16 GND

17 GND

18 GND

19 CAR_ON#

20 V_ADP

21 V_ADP

22 V_ADP

Richard

Guest martint
I have a Blue Angel to 9 pin serial adaptor to attach serial devices to it.

I haven't been able to successfully connect a serial GPS or serial modem to the Blue Angel. I had assumed I had blown the 'com' port.

Are you saying that the Blue Angel port is basically a USB port and that normal serial devices will not work?

Do you have the pin outs for the 22 pin 'USB' port so I can make up a bespoke 'serial / USB' cable?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the problem I have right now. I have tried using a NMEA GPS feed into the pinn headers of the blue angel as per the diagram but I doesn't seem to be able to pick anything up!

What I am using is Leadtek Navigator to see the NMEA data coming in and when I select COM1 it says it cannot open it!

Could this be a problem with the OS settings?

Guest Stabilo
This is the problem I have right now. I have tried using a NMEA GPS feed into the pinn headers of the blue angel as per the diagram but I doesn't seem to be able to pick anything up!

What I am using is Leadtek Navigator to see the NMEA data coming in and when I select COM1 it says it cannot open it!

Could this be a problem with the OS settings?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have also tried Leadtek Navigator witht he same results, thought I had blown the com port but am now thinking it is some other issue.

Are you trying to connect a 'no name' serial GPS or something like a Garmin Etrek / Legend?

Guest fluffcat1
FYI I am using pin 8(tx), 10(rx) and 16(gnd)

If anyone has answers to this then it will be greatly appreciated!

Would you not also need pins 7 / 9 (request to send / clear to send) to enable communication over RS-232? Sorry, don't know enough about NMEA protocols / RS-232, what devices are you using and where have you got your current info from? I'll take a squizz.

Richard

Guest Stabilo
Would you not also need pins 7 / 9 (request to send / clear to send) to enable communication over RS-232? Sorry, don't know enough about NMEA protocols / RS-232, what devices are you using and where have you got your current info from? I'll take a squizz.

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Devices like the Garmin Etrek / Legend simply send and receive NMEA data to (from) the port. I have working cables (purchased, not made by me) that just have 4 pins wired for Extrek / Legend to XDA's. Send, receive, ground and 5V, no RTS, CTS required. For full RS232 operation (e.g. modems) the other pins will be required.

Guest martint

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have an SPV M2000 with a brodit cradle that has a 4 pin molex that has tx,rx,gnd and 5v.

This is the strange thing. I also have 2 QTEK2020 (Himalaya) which do connect to the cradle but its not a perfect fit. One of them says it cannot connect to COM1 whilst the other can and actually picks up the MNEA data through the pin headers!!

So I'm starting to think the operating system has something to do with not allowing it utilise COM1!

Guest Stabilo
I have an SPV M2000 with a brodit cradle that has a 4 pin molex that has tx,rx,gnd and 5v.

This is the strange thing. I also have 2 QTEK2020 (Himalaya) which do connect to the cradle but its not a perfect fit. One of them says it cannot connect to COM1 whilst the other can and actually picks up the MNEA data through the pin headers!!

So I'm starting to think the operating system has something to do with not allowing it utilise COM1!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But the network connections in the operating system allow you to select modems connected to the com port.

Guest fraser

Are you sure it's COM1? I thought the wired one was either COM5 or COM6, but don't quote me on that. I recall reading it in a guide to set up GPS once.

Guest Stabilo
Are you sure it's COM1? I thought the wired one was either COM5 or COM6, but don't quote me on that. I recall reading it in a guide to set up GPS once.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Com 5 & Com 6 are definitely used for bluetooth ports (in & out). I think I have tried 5 & 6 for the serial port but I will try again.

Guest Stabilo
Com 5 & Com 6 are definitely used for bluetooth ports (in & out). I think I have tried 5 & 6 for the serial port but I will try again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I now have Tom Tom successfully using com 1 on the Blue Angel. It is connected to a cheap serial GPS device (I have a much better Bluetooth device but I had the serial device lying around).

Following fluffcat1's advice I bought a serial XDA sync cable (

Guest Stabilo

Today's update:

Playing around with the com port has caused 2 more hard resets today. You have been warned, ensure you BACKUP your BA regularly.

After the first reset my coms software wouldn't open com 1. Removed ActivSync but still no joy. After many hours trawling the internet I came across this http://www.pocketmap.com/accessories/troubleshooting.html Many tips regarding com ports and the fix for me is to turn off receipt of incoming beams. Incidentally after a few more hours I also spotted the 'turn off beam to fix com port' issue on MoDaCo. Is it just me or is MoDaCo's search engine quite poor?

By default accept incoming beams is turned on so you will lose com port use after a hard reset. I wrongly thought I had blown the port when I experienced my first hard reset a couple of weeks ago.

A few other things to bear in mind when using serial GPS devices.

1. Old devices can take up to 20 minutes to obtain a fix, stay in the same place until you get a fix, driving around will make it worse. Modern bluetooth devices can obtain a fix in less than a minute.

2. If you can afford a good bluetooth device get one as they are less hassle than serial devices. A good bluetooth device will run 'all day' from it's internal battery whereas you will need a power supply for the serial device.

3. Older serial devices will only operate at a low baud rate, typically 4800. Incorrect baud rates will stop you obtaining a GPS signal.

I will try a modem connection now I have worked out how to access the com port. Update - still can't connect to modem, possibly require a different cable.

Edited by Stabilo

Guest martint
Today's update:

Playing around with the com port has caused 2 more hard resets today. You have been warned, ensure you BACKUP your BA regularly.

After the first reset my coms software wouldn't open com 1. Removed ActivSync but still no joy. After many hours trawling the internet I came across this http://www.pocketmap.com/accessories/troubleshooting.html Many tips regarding com ports and the fix for me is to turn off receipt of incoming beams. Incidentally after a few more hours I also spotted the 'turn off beam to fix com port' issue on MoDaCo. Is it just me or is MoDaCo's search engine quite poor?

By default accept incoming beams is turned on so you will lose com port use after a hard reset. I wrongly thought I had blown the port when I experienced my first hard reset a couple of weeks ago.

A few other things to bear in mind when using serial GPS devices.

1. Old devices can take up to 20 minutes to obtain a fix, stay in the same place until you get a fix, driving around will make it worse. Modern bluetooth devices can obtain a fix in less than a minute.

2. If you can afford a good bluetooth device get one as they are less hassle than serial devices. A good bluetooth device will run 'all day' from it's internal battery whereas you will need a power supply for the serial device.

3. Older serial devices will only operate at a low baud rate, typically 4800. Incorrect baud rates will stop you obtaining a GPS signal.

I will try a modem connection now I have worked out how to access the com port. Update - still can't connect to modem, possibly require a different cable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is some quality information!!! Well done!