1018 replies to this topic

Ingvarr

Ingvarr

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Milestone
Mass storage driver disables the in-smartphone card access when it activated on purpose.

USB interface works with flash card on very low level. So if you'll try to do it simultaneously with smartphone, it can lead to file system corruption, as smartphone and USB mass storage will attempt to write over same data - its like using one disk simultaneously connected to diff computers (rough analogy).

Thats why it dismounts the flash card when it activates - making it "disappear" for smartphone apps, so they won't interfere with process.

Since MPX 200 "unofficial" WM5 upgrade stores part of OS on flash card, dismounting it can lead to part of OS becoming unusable - that would cause problems. Or it can fail to dismount, therefore leading to problem outlined above with simultaneous write.

Therefore use it on MPX 200 and any other "unofficial" upgrades for other phones that store part of OS on storage card with extreme caution and discretion. Because card data corruption is likely to happen. Rule of thumb - if phone cant work without storage card, its wrong.

PPCPassion

PPCPassion

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Devices:HTC ONE 64 gb dev ed, Nexus 5

This is definitively the tool everybody was looking for. However, before install it on my Smartphone QTEK, can you confirm that it can be used in parallel with ActiveSynch ? Because, I am using ActiveSynch with my main computer for full synchronisation. This new tool would be for using on a second computer where I just need this memory card access feature... So, I need both on my smartphone.

Thxs for this clarification.

Rgds

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yian-Yian: Unless you hit the activate button (soft key) you will not see any difference meaning you will be connected via active syn like you normally do, once you activate program, active syn shuts down and now you see your phone as storage device. To go back to active sync, press deactivate. Hope this helps.

Ingvarr

Ingvarr

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Work fine on HTC Prophet. One more thing, during the file transfer process, don't turn off the PDA otherwise the process will stop. As a result, you need to turn off any power time out setting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm I thought PDA would not turn off while charging from USB?
But I think I can add "keep the power on" option.

merwin

merwin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Devices:T-Mobile SDA (USA)
This does not work for those who store their Messaging/Attachments/PIE Cache on their storage card. Once it dismounts the storage card, WM5 creates a folder named 'Storage Card' on the internal storage and when you remount the real storage card, it gets mounted as "Storage Card2"

mi72

mi72

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:Qtek 9000

Try it with latest version. Note which error will popup if youll try to activate it with activesync on. Maybe Ill be able to fix that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Currently I'm using version 1.21, if I try to activate WM5torage when Activesync has already been launched (i.e. the first time you sync the PPC with PC via USB cable) the software pops "Cant switch to Mass Storage USB driver, error 1f" (same msg of previous version). To recover from this situation the only solution is to soft reset the PPC.

If you would like to add more diagnostic info I'll be glad to test it for you on my QTek 9000.

Marco.

Jef34

Jef34

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Thanks a lot for this software.

EXCELLENT APPLICATION !!

Do you have a Paypal account ? I won't give you much but you deserve it.

Edited by Jef34, 27 March 2006 - 07:54 PM.

cold_fire

cold_fire

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • Devices:HTC HD2

Thanks a lot for this software.

EXCELLENT APPLICATION !!

Do you have a Paypal account ? I won't give you much but you deserve it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does not work here .i get error 57 ,my device has Security disabled ,from the specific imei application recieved from spv developers .I cannot use a registry editor either as it is not digitally signed.I have the Orange UK AKU2 ROM .So what is there to do? :oops:

sebas_ly

sebas_ly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks a lot,

Works perfect on my dutch orange spv m3000 with rom=1.3.1.13 NLD.

sttan

sttan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:SPV M5000
Wonderful program, v handy when I'm transfering files to someone else and they don't have a card reader! Don't suppose it's possible to alter the program to export the main file system? As I currently don't have any easy way to access these files from linux.

mrkipling

mrkipling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Devices:ImateSP5:XDAGraphite:VarioIII
If anyone's still getting the "error 57" error when activating, follow the app unlocking instructions documented here;

http://spaces.msn.com/xpworld/Blog/cns!...A!198.entry

Great little app by the way, roll on usb2 support ;)

trimy

trimy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Devices:SPV C550

Windows Mobile 5 is required. Sorry, but I cant possibly make it work on WM 2003, as only WM5 allows USB protocol implementation separate from USB hardware driver - on WM 2003 Ill have to rewrite whole USB hardware drivers, and of course its not feasible.

It's quite sad to hear this message. It's means I must wait for the WM5 rom for c550.

mannymanny

mannymanny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:i-mate sp5m

Create the following registry key, restart the phone, and it will work:
to "HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies" add new value "0000101b": dword = 1

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, that fixed it. Now I have another problem though; my computer Mac + Os X doesn't mount the phone on the desktop. When I look at the system profile it does see a USB window mobile device. Anybody got it working on a Mac?

Ingvarr

Ingvarr

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

This does not work for those who store their Messaging/Attachments/PIE Cache on their storage card. Once it dismounts the storage card, WM5 creates a folder named 'Storage Card' on the internal storage and when you remount the real storage card, it gets mounted as "Storage Card2"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The same thing will happen if you will start such configured IE with card removed.
Just dont launch IE while Mass Storage activated/card absent, and it will be perfectly fine.
I store IE cache on card and never noticed a prob ;)

Currently I'm using version 1.21, if I try to activate WM5torage when Activesync has already been launched (i.e. the first time you sync the PPC with PC via USB cable) the software pops "Cant switch to Mass Storage USB driver, error 1f" (same msg of previous version). To recover from this situation the only solution is to soft reset the PPC.

Instead of soft reset, try just to kill the ActiveSync process (via "Starts | Settings | System | Memory | Running Programs"). Tell me, will it help?

Now I have another problem though; my computer Mac + Os X doesn't mount the phone on the desktop. When I look at the system profile it does see a USB window mobile device. Anybody got it working on a Mac?

Maybe Mac works with USB mass storage in somewhat different way... I had to break some specs there to make working with Windows XP specifically and to defuse some "anomalies"(bugs?) in 8300 usb driver.

Don't suppose it's possible to alter the program to export the main file system? As I currently don't have any easy way to access these files from linux.

This will be a lot harder... Because flash disk is exported on the USB by per-sector basis - so when card have FAT/FAT32, Windows will perfectly see it, you can re-format it, etc. All I have to do is pass to/from the host the sectors it will request, nothing else.
But built-in file system is other thing. I dont even think its a true "disk", its partly in the rom, etc. The only reliable way is to export it is via Network Share-like way, and there is no such protocol on USB bus.

Edited by Ingvarr, 28 March 2006 - 07:01 AM.

mi72

mi72

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:Qtek 9000

Instead of soft reset, try just to kill the ActiveSync process (via "Starts | Settings | System | Memory | Running Programs"). Tell me, will it help?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Already tried yesterday (I forgot to mention) but unfortunately it doesn't help. It seems that the first time Activesync runs something happens that prevents WM5torage to properly activate.
When I deactivate WM5torage it releases all the resources properly (of course) and I'm able again to use Activesync, but if I want to use again WM5torage I have to soft reset the PPC. Until now I didn't find any shortcut to avoid the soft reset ;)

Marco.

jimbou

jimbou

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
Can someone send regeditstg.exe ?
I cannot find where to download it
[email protected]

shadamehr

shadamehr

'That' Avatar Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Internet, Games, Women, Phones, Clubbing and Pubbing
  • Devices:HTC Desire / Nokia N8 Bronze
  • Twitter:@shadamehr

got error 57 on my SP5 (HTC Tornado)

Valdimir

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same here...

Posted Image

yian-yian

yian-yian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:QTEK 8300 (WM5)
It works on my QTEK 8300, however, it is not shown in 'My Computer' on my PC (Windows Millenium). Looks like Windows Me is not proposing the appropriate driver. Do you know if it would be possible to hv a driver (and which driver) for installing the proper connexion on the PC side ?

Thxs for your help.

Golgot

Golgot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Qtek 8310
with nice prog!

work perfectly on my 8310 with linux an even with my car cd player (usb compatible)!!!

for the Storage Card2 problem, it only append if you store emails and/or ie cache on the SD card.

If you have a Storage Card2 that appear, just rename Storage Card in Storage Card3, reboot the smartphone, then delete Storage Card3...

thanks

Unic0der

Unic0der

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Devices:i-Mate SP5
What I noticed is that the Mass Storage is accessed via Windows like a Hard disk and not like a USB stick. I think its pretty bad, cause this way Windows will create Thumbs.db's on the storage card, and when you delete files it will not really delete them, but put it in a folder called "Recycled" on the Storage card.
I hope you can rewrite the program in such way that the phone is recognized like a "Removable Device" aka USB Stick or at least give us this Option in the program, cause I really hate deleting the thumbs.db and Recycled stuff after I have worked with it.

But that's the only issue I discovered. Apart from this this little program is perfect. :-)

ninjaw

ninjaw

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Nine Inch Nails
  • Devices:Omnia pro B7610
  • Twitter:@ninjaw

What I noticed is that the Mass Storage is accessed via Windows like a Hard disk and not like a USB stick. I think its pretty bad, cause this way Windows will create Thumbs.db's on the storage card, and when you delete files it will not really delete them, but put it in a folder called "Recycled" on the Storage card.
I hope you can rewrite the program in such way that the phone is recognized like a "Removable Device" aka USB Stick or at least give us this Option in the program, cause I really hate deleting the thumbs.db and Recycled stuff after I have worked with it.
But that's the only issue I discovered. Apart from this this little program is perfect. :-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very good point !

Anyway I got C600 and there is no way using any card storage on IE or email, right ???

Finally: I'm amazed i can switch activate / desactivate and windows is following

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users