Possible to flash English RoM on Chinese Ver Dopod

Guest zen123

Guest zen123

Hi..my little sister is in HK & really wants the Lavender Dopod 818Pro. Only problem is she can't find anywhere that sells English version. They are all Chinese.

My question is would it be possible to flash it with English rom either from the Imate or any other of the Prophet variants..

Guest chucky.egg

I put the Imate ROM on my Dopod without any real problems, so I dont see why not.

Paul pointed me to the XDA Developers site for a utility which removes the Operator branding from the current ROM (as I understand it, apologies if that's not exactly what it does).

1. Run Lokiwiz (or whatever it was called, something like that)

2. Remove the operator thingummy (it's option 3 from memory)

3. Reboot the device

4. Run the ROM Update Utility (the package the new ROM comes in) to install it

Job Done!

[edit]

Paul's post about Lokiwiz

Edited by chucky.egg

Guest Gnuig
I put the Imate ROM on my Dopod without any real problems, so I dont see why not.

Paul pointed me to the XDA Developers site for a utility which removes the Operator branding from the current ROM (as I understand it, apologies if that's not exactly what it does). 

3. Reboot the device

Job Done!

[edit]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry to say this... but I beg to differ. I don't necessarily think all ROMs (like mine) allow you to do this! I see others have this problem, so I don't think this is always true :exclaim:

Also see: http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic....4869&highlight=

Any news would be greatly appreciated?!

Yet, a prophet purchased i HK, I can not imagine being restricted in any ways? Yet I would not take the chance, personally.

Regards,

G.

Guest chucky.egg

Sounds like you are partly right - the QTek S200 cant be as easily "unlocked", but the fp was asking about a Dopod 818 Pro and not a QTek S200

I have a (black) Dopod 818 Pro, from Singapore, on which Lokiwiz and the superCID stuff worked flawlessly first time. That allowed me to install the Imate ROM which was previously saying that it was "not intended for this device" (or words to that effect).

I can't see any reason why it would not work on another Dopod 818.

Guest zen123

Thanks for the replys...I should have done a search before I asked thats me too lazy. Anyways I've downloaded all the stuff that needs to used for the operation & when my sis gets back we'll have a go.

Guest Gnuig
Sounds like you are partly right - the QTek S200 cant be as easily "unlocked", but the fp was asking about a Dopod 818 Pro and not a QTek S200

I have a (black) Dopod 818 Pro, from Singapore, on which Lokiwiz and the superCID stuff worked flawlessly first time.  That allowed me to install the Imate ROM which was previously saying that it was "not intended for this device" (or words to that effect).

I can't see any reason why it would not work on another Dopod 818.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said. This even cleared up some confusion for me. Thanks.

Just hope qtek will make it possible to flash other roms, as I see it as a stupid idea from them if they don't. I, as a customer, only get more and more frustrated, when they come up with brilliant plans like this. :evil:

G.

Guest zen123

Did it ;) :P

Now my sis got herself a Dopod branded Prophet that starts with the Imate splash screen. Most important thing is though everything works perfectly fine.

Just need to wait for Dopod to post their updated ROM & I'll flash it with that.

Guest chucky.egg

I'm NOT planning to go back to the Dopod ROM when they release it.

The iMate one is ver stable and does me just fine thanks!

• 2 months later...
Guest FaLL3n^An6eL

Hi..i see that u've managed to flash a chinese rom to an english one..i just got a QTek200 with chinese rom, how did u flash urs? Thanks :)

3. Reboot the device

Job Done!

[edit]

I have an SPVM600 arriving tomorrow and I have been follwoing some of these threads with interest. I have some very 'noob' questions for the experts:

1. What exactly is a ROM and is it different to 'branding'?

2. Does flashing a device with a different ROM void the warranty?

3. Can you go back to a previous ROM?

4. Does it wipe all your installations like a hard reset would?

5. Do you have to have an Imate IMEI to download their ROM

6. Why is a Jamin ROm better than an M600 one? (or not?)

Is it worth making this a sticky topic with instructions for PPC beginners like myself to flash their devices with different ROMs?

Cheers