One-handed operation

Guest DeanJames

Guest DeanJames

Hello,

Some of the screenshots show a "soft" numeric keyboard, perhaps for T9 - can you use the A701 one-handed?

I wonder if getting the stylus out for a simple text might become a bit of a drag.

Cheers,

Dean

Guest zoidy

Hi,

I use mine one handed, but I do have the screen protector installed. I wouldn't like to do it too often without the screen protector.

Z.

Guest jonlad
Hi,

I use mine one handed, but I do have the screen protector installed.  I wouldn't like to do it too often without the screen protector.

Z.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Fnar Fnar"........................Finbar Saunders

:shock:

Guest jn753

If I can add my two-penn'th:

I installed one of the 3 screen protectors that came with the A701 - annoying that they are about 2 mm too short! I installed my uppermost, so that now the stylus sometimes runs off the protector at the bottom of the screen. Oh well.

Also, I find in high light the addition of the protector does cause a slight 'polarizing' type effect i.e. makes it more difficult to read the screen, but only when screen brightness set to the first or second bottom position.

When you use the phone, the skin impression from the side of your head makes more of an impression on the protector than on screen without protector (tasty, eh?). I keep find myself rubbing it clear. Perhaps I should wash my face every hour when out & about ;)

I have not had a problem when using single handed, although a lanyard boosts confidence - always feel I am about to drop it.

Guest gilesjuk

Tried the screen protector. didn't like the effect or feel of them. I would imagine they're a little short to help you get the damn things off the screen, they're really impossible otherwise. In fact mine were a proper fit and I had to use a pin to get the corner up, very scary.

Well I've tried the screen protector. 1st time I put irt on it seemed like it was about 2mm too short, then realised I'd put it on with some under the top lip. Replaced it in correct place (a perfect fit) and used it.

I found the devise less responsive with the screen protector on. Also difficult to write on the screen as there was too much friction. Also when I used my fingers I kept getting marks with reflected in the sun.

All in all it seemed far better without the screen protector - I've ordered a decent case instead!

• 2 months later...
Guest JonnyI
an excellent utility for texting etc is TENGO THUMB

Hi -

I've installed Tengo Thumb without any probs on my a701. It appears as an option for inputting text, but when I select it the option menu just drops off and I'm stuck with the default keyboard. I've tried setting Tengo as my default input method, but no joy. Anyone any idea how to get it to work??

Guest gazbert
Hi -

I've installed Tengo Thumb without any probs on my a701. It appears as an option for inputting text, but when I select it the option menu just drops off and I'm stuck with the default keyboard. I've tried setting Tengo as my default input method, but no joy. Anyone any idea how to get it to work??

This happened to me as well. It turned out that SPB Pocket Plus was sucking up too much system resource and was preventing Tengo Thumb from loading. Although nearly anything that starts running before you start Tengo Thumb can have this effect. I'm now really careful what I install to prevent it happening again.