Guest toon9

Guest phoare

You're nearly there...

Pressing the circle key plus the space bar (to get "SYM") changes your last character to another "similar" character.

So to get a pound sign, type a dollar sign and then use circle-space to get a euro symbol and then circle-space again to get a pound sign.

Similarly, to get a backslash, type a forward slash and then use SYM.

Not obvious.... but easy enough when you know!!

Guest toon9
You're nearly there...

Pressing the circle key plus the space bar (to get "SYM") changes your last character to another "similar" character.

So to get a pound sign, type a dollar sign and then use circle-space to get a euro symbol and then circle-space again to get a pound sign.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent phoare - excellent !!!!

I've no doubt it is documented somewhere but haven't resrtoed to the user manual - YET !!

Cheers again

Guest Terrapin
Is there a way to "exit" an application without tapping the "x" in the top right corner of a window?

(To date that is the only thing I cannot seem to do without using stylus / finger tip - and it's a small "x" !)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the keyboard is slid out press the OK key to the left of the spacebar. That has the same effect as pressing the X or OK in the top right. If the keyboard isn't slid out and you're using the vario in portrait, just slide it open a little and the OK key will still function without switching the screen orientation.

hth!

Guest toon9
If the keyboard is slid out press the OK key to the left of the spacebar. That has the same effect as pressing the X or OK in the top right. If the keyboard isn't slid out and you're using the vario in portrait, just slide it open a little and the OK key will still function without switching the screen orientation.

hth!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Terrapin - many thanks. A great tip that works very well.

Now I am really at home with this device.

Guest SystemicAnomaly

I've reassigned the PIE button on the top right as an OK/Close button.... so much easier, just go to Start->Settings->Buttons to change.

Guest Tryster

I can get a pound sign on my Wizard (O2 Mini S) by pressing the spot key and then the V key (also has euro symbol on C key).

For closing apps and accessing start menu I recommend an application called smartskey which can be found over on the XDA Developers site in the Wizard specific forum.

This allows you to press and hold the softkeys to get the extended functionality.

HTH

Tryster

Guest mmmaiki

Thanks a lot for the info, Phoare! ;) That was helpful. That info does not exist in the keyboard instructions in the MDA (USA) manual.

One other thing I wish they included on the keyboard is a Ctrl key. That has a lot of important functions on a computer keyboard. For instance, I notice with this MDA keyboard you can select test like on a computer, by holding down shift while pressing a directional key. However, what can you do with it once selected? If there was a ctrl key, you could copy the selected text to the clipboard with CTRL-C, paste it with CTRL-V, etc. (In fact, that works with the on-screen keyboard, that does have a CTRL key.) (Not to mention formatting a Pocket Word document with CTRL-B, CTRL-U, etc.)

Is there any way to emulate the CTRL key on the Wizard keyboard? Some other way to copy, paste, etc., just using the slide-out keyboard?

Another thing I miss is the Esc key, to cancel out of things. Is there any way to do that with this keyboard.

It would also be nice if some key combination with the directional keys could change them into Home, End, PgUP, and PgDown.

You're nearly there...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest mmmaiki

Another keyboard question, forgot to ask it in my last post.

Any way to make the dot key sticky, as one can do with Caps Lock?

For instance, if one has a lot of numbers to enter, phone numbers for example. A hassle to hold down the dot key with one hand, and only use the other hand for typing. It would be nice if one can make that key stick while entering numbers.

Any way to do that?

Guest adchaffey
Another keyboard question, forgot to ask it in my last post.

Any way to make the dot key sticky, as one can do with Caps Lock?

For instance, if one has a lot of numbers to enter, phone numbers for example. A hassle to hold down the dot key with one hand, and only use the other hand for typing. It would be nice if one can make that key stick while entering numbers.

Any way to do that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hit the dot key twice and it'll stay on until you press it again, or double press it again, not 100% sure!

Guest mmmaiki
Hit the dot key twice and it'll stay on until you press it again, or double press it again, not 100% sure!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It works! Thank you. Unfortunate that all this info is not in the documentation. Good that people share the info here. ;)

Now, if someone can help with a way to use keys on this slide-out keyboard to do the functions of the CTRL key and ESC key on a computer keyboard (see my other post), that would greatly enhance the functionality of this keyboard.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Er not sure, its just an app that runs on your device and allows you to emulate the Ctrl key, i haven't actually had a play with it myself ;)

The Universal has a different keypad, but the Wizard is compatible with PQz.

Guest mmmaiki
' date='Apr 9 2006, 18:18' post='730729']Check out PQz:

http://www.modaco.com/PQz_for_HTC_Universa...00-t232534.html

;)

I've tried it. It works. However, I think it has caused system freezes. I just downloaded a newer version from this past week, I'll see if it works better.

Now--what key will work like the Esc key on a computer keyboard. A very important key. No such key in WM5?

Also, any way to get Home, End PgUp, PgDown?

Guest robertchinneck
Is there a way to "exit" an application without tapping the "x" in the top right corner of a window?

(To date that is the only thing I cannot seem to do without using stylus / finger tip - and it's a small "x" !)

This annoyed me for ages! My mate who also has a Wizard showed me this one; go to Start->Settings->Buttons and reassign the top right Internet Explorer e key to be OK/Close. It makes sense as its the nearest button to the top right corner where you tap X.

Obviously this will sacrifice quick explorer access, but I don't find that a problem especially as the annoying problem you outline is solved by this.

Guest Webreaper

As has been mentioned above. smartskey does what you want. Once its installed, a 2-sec press of the left button below the screen brings up the Start menu, and a 2-sec press of the right- hand button either closes or okays the current screen. lt also makes the up/down slider button do scrolling, which makes up for the lack of pgup and pgdn buttons.

I can't recommend it enough - it transforms the one-handed use Of the device.

Guest rockykabir
This annoyed me for ages! My mate who also has a Wizard showed me this one; go to Start->Settings->Buttons and reassign the top right Internet Explorer e key to be OK/Close. It makes sense as its the nearest button to the top right corner where you tap X.

This was the first thing I have done when I got the Vario...having already done something similar for the Compact.

Now however, I've allocated the top right button to [Close Button Context Menu] (found in SPB Pocket Plus)...this way, I have the option to either minimize or close the program.

I dunno whether "OK" = Minimize though ;)

Guest mmmaiki

Obviously this will sacrifice quick explorer access, but I don't find that a problem especially as the annoying problem you outline is solved by this.

Yeah, but the Esc key on the desktop computer is not the same as OK/Close on the PPC. The ESC key will back out of anything. The OK button can mean to save changes. An ESC key would back out of them.

It would be nice if a key on the keyboard could function like a real ESC key.