C500 Forgets date/time if battery removed

Guest finisterre

Guest finisterre

Hi,

Every time I remove/replace the battery on my C500, the clock goes back to 20/7/2004.

Do they all do this, or is mine faulty?

Thanks.

Guest sponge
Hi,

Every time I remove/replace the battery on my C500, the clock goes back to 20/7/2004.

Do they all do this, or is mine faulty?

Thanks.

I'm curious about this too. Only my C500 loses such information by simply turning it off.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Sounds like the internal battery is faulty, the same started to happened on mine about a year ago.

A quick sync with the PC sorts t out though ;)

Guest xspyda
' date='Apr 16 2006, 04:52' post='732091']Sounds like the internal battery is faulty, the same started to happened on mine about a year ago.

A quick sync with the PC sorts t out though ;)

Got the same problem now too ... Can the internal battery be replaced?

Edited by xspyda

Guest kevinsephiroth
Got the same problem now too ... Can the internal battery be replaced?

i noticed it too. i had updated to a newer rom and it went well.

• 3 months later...
Guest Cabana

Mine started doing this recently too. If I remove the battery to take out the minisd, the phone resets itself to 12:00AM on January 1st, 2004. This is really annoying when switching cards away from home. Is there any way to fix it or do I just need a new phone?

Guest anudist

i have the same problem on my SMT5600. it's not a HUGE deal, but it's annoying. does anyone know if there's a way to make it stop?

Guest peekie

I have the same problem with ALL my older smartphones E200,C500,C550 and MPX200 seems the internal battery is lame as it only lasts around a year :)

Guest Dr Who
I have the same problem with ALL my older smartphones E200,C500,C550 and MPX200 seems the internal battery is lame as it only lasts around a year :)

I thought all C500's did this out of the box? All of mine seem to have done and I am on to about handset 7 now. Maybe its the fact all the replacements are refurbs and therefore old?

Guest cubik
I thought all C500's did this out of the box? All of mine seem to have done and I am on to about handset 7 now. Maybe its the fact all the replacements are refurbs and therefore old?

Nope, Mine has only recently started exhibiting this behavior... Most annoying having to set the clock every time I remove the mini SD.

Guest dlinacre

I think it may be to do with applying the latest C500 ROM upgrade from Orange. There seems to be a file missing from the new ROM that was present beforehand. The file in question is timewizard.exe. That file is present on my SDA (which has been upgraded using the lastest T-Mobile ROM - from Germany - and remembers the time OK), but not on my SPV C500, which has been upgraded and now looses the time when the battery is removed. Interestingly, the same thing happens on my Dad's SPV C500 too, but again, only since we upgraded the ROM (to get Media Player version 10). I haven't found a way to copy that file over from the SDA to the SPV to try and prove this, nor have I been able to find a download source for timewizard.exe. Can anyone prove or disprove my theory? Or does anyone know how to copy files from ROM?

Guest BrAGoL
I think it may be to do with applying the latest C500 ROM upgrade from Orange. There seems to be a file missing from the new ROM that was present beforehand. The file in question is timewizard.exe. That file is present on my SDA (which has been upgraded using the lastest T-Mobile ROM - from Germany - and remembers the time OK), but not on my SPV C500, which has been upgraded and now looses the time when the battery is removed. Interestingly, the same thing happens on my Dad's SPV C500 too, but again, only since we upgraded the ROM (to get Media Player version 10). I haven't found a way to copy that file over from the SDA to the SPV to try and prove this, nor have I been able to find a download source for timewizard.exe. Can anyone prove or disprove my theory? Or does anyone know how to copy files from ROM?

try to use SDA Full Application Unlocker on your phone... follow the instructions and then try to copy it from the \Windows folder...

Guest Toyota-F1.com

@dlinacre

I've got an Orange SPV C500 ROM 4.2.1.1 (so with WMP10) and I don't have the timewizard file (however, as I searched for the word time, the file mmtimer.dll turned up - don't know if this is relevant), and the time does not reset when I remove the battery. This also does not happen on my second C500 - ROM 4.2.1.4.

Guest PayableOnDeath

am not sure how long my c500 has done this as its only since i got my vario and keep switching sim cards about that i have noticed this, the why i get around it is to plug it in to the charger. remove the battery change the sim put the battery back in then it keeps the time

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PDAHazzard
Doesn't the phone pull the time off the cell network?

By accident I found out that either:

= it doesn't

= my c500 doesn't

= my c500 doesn't because of a setting I am not aware off.

I remeber thought that I have never set date and time before on my c500. So I am pretty puzzled too...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cpt_andy

My C500 has had the forgetting problem for some time now. While dismantling my C500 in an attempt to fix an unrelated problem, I noticed that the internal battery appears to have leaked and rusted. There is some minor damage to the surrounding board. It looks like HTC must have used a batch of faulty batteries during the production.

It is a 6.8mm diameter, ~2mm high coin cell will tabs. When I get back from my holiday I'll have a look into a replacement.

Andy

Just to add, my C500 has suffered the same problem for a long time now. I presumed the internal battery had died all along, but never had the guts to take the thing apart and check it out. :D

• 1 month later...
It is a 6.8mm diameter, ~2mm high coin cell will tabs. When I get back from my holiday I'll have a look into a replacement.

Andy

Have you had any luck with this. I've got my phone in bits and can see that the battery has 46 and f+ stamped on the top tag. I can't trace a supplier online to replace it. Have you been able to?

Datum

• 1 month later...