Photo

So who's got a HTC 100/ 'startrek' /smartflip /qtek 8500 so far?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

shadieb

shadieb

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
Hi, machiavell1,

I wasn't criticising your buy it now price mate, it just seemed high compared to the other seller.

The other seller is selling Asian Dopod S300's. I emailed him asking about warranty etc. but they don't have one unless its sent back to Asia :) I aint risking money like that.
Looks like I will have to hope Expansys have finally got a firm date for middle of June.
Less then a fortnight isn't really a problem as I have been waiting ages already :)

Good luck with your sale.
Best wishes.

Edited by shadieb, 04 June 2006 - 07:43 PM.

fluffcat1

fluffcat1

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Devices:8500 amongst others...

yep - although it's 650 not 750, and there are no import taxes or mailing issues. Not trying to justify the figure - only trying to cover my outlay on it originally! Certainly not turning a profit on it.

:) :)

Now I for one wouldn't part with that much cash to an ebay seller with 24 feedback total / 10 feedback from buyers.... I'd rather wait a couple of weeks and buy **2** from expansys etc for the same money...( 1 pink 1 black? :-) especially when no mention is made of any transferrable warranty - and we all know how bad Qtek are for warranty issues in the UK, especially with no proof of purchase....so the dopod seller is IMO better value as they both have no warranty and you can have 2 dopods for this 1 Qtek.

Richard

'....It's been out in Japan nearly 3 weeks - where's yours?'

fluffcat1

fluffcat1

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
Expansys price dropped to 299. This is more like it. But availability back to the 21st June. Booooo!

machiavell1

machiavell1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Hi, machiavell1,

I wasn't criticising your buy it now price mate, it just seemed high compared to the other seller.

The other seller is selling Asian Dopod S300's. I emailed him asking about warranty etc. but they don't have one unless its sent back to Asia :) I aint risking money like that.
Looks like I will have to hope Expansys have finally got a firm date for middle of June.
Less then a fortnight isn't really a problem as I have been waiting ages already :)

Good luck with your sale.
Best wishes.

I understand - I didn't assume you were!

If you want proper support (ie warranty, right to return etc), I would certainly wait for Expansys. They will get it eventually! I really wouldn't risk buying the Asian Dopod from a US seller if you are bothered about warranties or returns. Plus you will end up paying import tax on it and fairly substantial delivery.

fluffcat1

fluffcat1

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

I really wouldn't risk buying the Asian Dopod from a US seller if you are bothered about warranties or returns. Plus you will end up paying import tax on it and fairly substantial delivery.

They guy we're all talking about on ebay is in Torquay. Delivery is 25 though :-(

Richard

gerryr

gerryr

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire

Expansys price dropped to 299. This is more like it. But availability back to the 21st June. Booooo!

Bloody annoying, just email them re the price change and my pre-order, they sent me an ammended order (with the new price :) ) but the expected deliver time says 15 days now (from 8)!!!

just got my 1GB micro-sd card, holy crap that thing is tiny! :)

gR

machiavell1

machiavell1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

:) :)
Now I for one wouldn't part with that much cash to an ebay seller with 24 feedback total / 10 feedback from buyers.... I'd rather wait a couple of weeks and buy **2** from expansys etc for the same money...( 1 pink 1 black? :-) especially when no mention is made of any transferrable warranty - and we all know how bad Qtek are for warranty issues in the UK, especially with no proof of purchase....so the dopod seller is IMO better value as they both have no warranty and you can have 2 dopods for this 1 Qtek.

Richard

Whilst I can totally sympathise with your cost analysis and also your position on warranties, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't suggest that I am in some way untrustworthy due to my feedback. I have been around the mobile forums (W@Mob, HoFo and here) for several years, have bought and sold phones much like other users here, and have never made a dishonest sale or purchase.

Now I didn't post my auction here or advertise it - it was brought up by someone else - and I haven't sought to promote it in any way. I am also perfectly content with you suggesting that it is too expensive, or that there are things that other people should think about. I have nothing to conceal and am perfectly open to fair comment. I have even made comments myself about Expansys. However, your post, intentionally or otherwise, implies that it's my level of feedback rather than simply the price that should discourage people, which implies that I could be unreliable or untrustworthy which, frankly, I am not.

There isn't any basis for suggesting that, and there is nothing whatsoever about my feedback that is suspicious. Almost all my feedback relates to, surprise surprise, the sale and purchase of mobile phones, many before they are available publically, cos I am an early adopter with time and money on my hands. I don't turn a profit on my phones, but instead tend to sell them on in anticipation of a new purchase. Now I assume that the comment was wholly unintentional, and actually restricted to price and warranty issues, but in case it wasn't (and to set the position straight in any event), I thought I should post something.

machiavell1

machiavell1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

They guy we're all talking about on ebay is in Torquay. Delivery is 25 though :-(

Richard

Ah, I was referring to another seller. I didn't even see anyone in Torquay. Most of these have come via Hong Kong or through the USA.

You would have right to return against him, although good luck enforcing that (with anyone on eBay really given that it mainly deals with private sellers). Warranty for all these handsets (including mine) would be problematic.

gerryr

gerryr

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
due date has switched to "ordered on request" now!! what the hell does that mean, I've ordered one does that mean I can expect it any day now!! (doubt it ....)

have emailed expansys so will see what they say.
gR

fluffcat1

fluffcat1

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

due date has switched to "ordered on request" now!! what the hell does that mean, I've ordered one does that mean I can expect it any day now!! (doubt it ....)

have emailed expansys so will see what they say.
gR

Yeah saw that 'ordered on request' earlier ( on the pink version only mind ;-) but it's gone to sat 24th black / fri 30th pink, and the pink unit is 50 more! There's my decision made for me LOL!

Richard

gerryr

gerryr

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Yeah saw that 'ordered on request' earlier ( on the pink version only mind ;-) but it's gone to sat 24th black / fri 30th pink, and the pink unit is 50 more! There's my decision made for me LOL!

Richard

'ordered on request' was on the black one earlier too, the fuh hucking thing has changed 3 or 4 times today alone, I'm going to have to stop checking it :)

On a plus I did get a reply from expansys "stock of the Qtek 8500 is due to arrive on 14-06-06." but I'll take that with a pinch of salt :)

patience .... patience ..... patience ;)

fluffcat1

fluffcat1

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Whilst I can totally sympathise with your cost analysis and also your position on warranties, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't suggest that I am in some way untrustworthy due to my feedback. I have been around the mobile forums (W@Mob, HoFo and here) for several years, have bought and sold phones much like other users here, and have never made a dishonest sale or purchase.

I never said you had made a dishonest sale or purchase - just pointed out ( exaclty as I did with the other seller, who also didn't self promote here) you only had 24 feedback of which 10 were from buyers which is relatively low for selling a high value item. Buy thanks for the sympathy? :) ...

Now I didn't post my auction here or advertise it - it was brought up by someone else - and I haven't sought to promote it in any way. I am also perfectly content with you suggesting that it is too expensive, or that there are things that other people should think about. I have nothing to conceal and am perfectly open to fair comment. I have even made comments myself about Expansys. However, your post, intentionally or otherwise, implies that it's my level of feedback rather than simply the price that should discourage people, which implies that I could be unreliable or untrustworthy which, frankly, I am not.

There isn't any basis for suggesting that, and there is nothing whatsoever about my feedback that is suspicious.

So 2 people are selling a phone, 1 is half the price of the other and that seller has 3 times the other's feedback? Just pointing out the obvious mate....and the text in your listing "YOU WILL NOT FIND THIS PHONE ANYWHERE ELSE - DON'T BE FOOLED BY OTHERS UNLESS THEY CAN PROVIDE PHOTOGRAPHIC PROOF!" quite obviously isn't true, the other seller's got them, his buyers so far are happy, and we can find this out as his auctions are not private listings.

Almost all my feedback relates to, surprise surprise, the sale and purchase of mobile phones, many before they are available publically, cos I am an early adopter with time and money on my hands. I don't turn a profit on my phones, but instead tend to sell them on in anticipation of a new purchase. Now I assume that the comment was wholly unintentional, and actually restricted to price and warranty issues, but in case it wasn't (and to set the position straight in any event), I thought I should post something.

Wow. 24 *whole* transactions for phones....ooooh, you cutting edge early adopter with time and money on their hands you! ;) :)

Would you like me to list all the phones *I* had pre-release? Or maybe the development units I had at BTCellnet? Or just the ones up for sale on ebay this week with my 1700+ feedback......

Richard

machiavell1

machiavell1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

I never said you had made a dishonest sale or purchase - just pointed out ( exaclty as I did with the other seller, who also didn't self promote here) you only had 24 feedback of which 10 were from buyers which is relatively low for selling a high value item. Buy thanks for the sympathy? ;) ...
So 2 people are selling a phone, 1 is half the price of the other and that seller has 3 times the other's feedback? Just pointing out the obvious mate....and the text in your listing "YOU WILL NOT FIND THIS PHONE ANYWHERE ELSE - DON'T BE FOOLED BY OTHERS UNLESS THEY CAN PROVIDE PHOTOGRAPHIC PROOF!" quite obviously isn't true, the other seller's got them, his buyers so far are happy, and we can find this out as his auctions are not private listings.
Wow. 24 *whole* transactions for phones....ooooh, you cutting edge early adopter with time and money on their hands you! :D :)

Would you like me to list all the phones *I* had pre-release? Or maybe the development units I had at BTCellnet? Or just the ones up for sale on ebay this week with my 1700+ feedback......

Richard

I'm not your mate, mate. "Sympathize" in this case means "To share or understand the ideas of another" - it doesn't actually mean I am giving you my sympathy, just that I understood the point you were making. I really shouldn't have to explain that to (someone I assume to be) a grown literate adult. :P

The implication of your comment remains the same - that the auction was in some way untrustworthy or doubtful - the fact that you linked it to my feedback rather than left it at cost comparison highlights that fact. Feedback on eBay is a marker of a seller/buyer's reliability and the trust you can place in them so, whether you intended to or not, you were making a comment about the level of trust or reliability that should be attributed to me. I didn't appreciate that (and clearly neither did you as you still don't seem to grasp the point, so to be honest I'm less inclined to take offence).

As for the comment in the auction about availability, you're absolutely correct - At the time, I genuinely wasn't aware there were any importers (and even when I was aware of it, it was clear from my posts here that I thought these in any event were US importers rather than UK). That had literally changed over the course of a few days from when I had last looked so wasn't reflected in my auction. The comment about photographic evidence, however, is actually pretty sensible and still stands. I wouldn't buy from any eBay merchant who couldn't provide some photographic evidence of what they are selling, particularly if it is an item that is either pre-release or just released. In any event, I made it pretty clear what I thought people should do when they were considering their purchasing options. I didn't push my auction, and I didn't need to - It looks like I managed to sell it for 650 cash this afternoon (fingers crossed), which will go towards covering the money I spent on it, and no more (unfortunately for me).

As for the rest, you missed my point, didn't you? So let me explain for you. I wasn't saying there was something special about me by my comment about my feedback being largely for phones or about my being an early adopter with too much time and money on my hands. I was pointing out the exact opposite - it was actually an embarrassed dig at myself for spending money I probably shouldn't simply out of eagerness to get my hands on some newfangled phone rather than waiting for a formal release like a normal person. The reason why I don't have a bunch of feedback is that I am only a private seller who buys phones and sells them on once I am done with them. I am not a phone shop or a merchant. I don't think "early adopter" is a *cool* thing like you clearly do - more of a sign of impatience - but feel free to reel off your list of pre-release phones and amaze and astound people with your days on the "edge" working at BT Cellnet.... you must be so proud :) I'll try to choke back the awe that I will naturally experience. It'll be tough, but dammit I'll manage B)

The point is that you're entitled to your opinion but, then again, so am I. :P Anyway, I'm pretty chipper as it appears that I sold my Qtek, so - friends? I'll even sell you some of my cutting edge early adopter tech cheap for your collection...

Edited by machiavell1, 06 June 2006 - 10:00 PM.

fluffcat1

fluffcat1

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

I'm not your mate, mate. "Sympathize" in this case means "To share or understand the ideas of another" - it doesn't actually mean I am giving you my sympathy, just that I understood the point you were making. I really shouldn't have to explain that to (someone I assume to be) a grown literate adult. B)

Oooooh...Handbag! I think a more correct word for the meaning you wished to convey would have been 'empathize' in this context - your use of sympathize implies pity that we are all not worthy of such cutting edge expensive early adopter only phones or the people who decide to sell them on and double their cost....

I don't think "early adopter" is a *cool* thing like you clearly do - more of a sign of impatience - but feel free to reel off your list of pre-release phones and amaze and astound people with your days on the "edge" working at BT Cellnet.... you must be so proud :) I'll try to choke back the awe that I will naturally experience. It'll be tough, but dammit I'll manage :)

The point is that you're entitled to your opinion but, then again, so am I. :D Anyway, I'm pretty chipper as it appears that I sold my Qtek, so - friends? I'll even sell you some of my cutting edge early adopter tech cheap for your collection...

No it was the way you labelled yourself with the tags 'money on my hands' and 'early adopter' that made me laugh. Like those people who say 'I like meeting people' ...'I'm intelligent and resourceful' ...'I work well in team situations' etc etc it's just self-serving-spin....

And as for cutting edge at BT? Well, I was on the blackberry development team and had a pre-release wallaby for 6 months so pretty cutting edge ta. I wasn't 'proud' of it - just when people bang on about how cutting edge they are with their consumer level devices it helps to point out that I, like many who read this board are / have been involved in the development cycles of the devices prior to even a beta release to Joe Schmo and so truly are cutting edge rather than just claiming to be.

You're not my 'mate'? I'm not your 'friend then'. I'll get over it.... ;)

Richard

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II
Enough guys. The thread has strayed off topic enough and you two circling each other isn't entertaining (ok, maybe it is a little :) ).

Lets keep any further replies strictly to the topic please.

gerryr

gerryr

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
so now that machiavell1 sold his startrk, does anyone have one?

@ machiavell1

2 things I forgot to ask if you don't mind?:

What was the sound quality and volume like when on a call?
What was the loud speaker sound quality and volume like?

Moving from a prophet ppc where IMO the sound quality is crap.

thanks again
gR

shadieb

shadieb

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
I emailed Expansys re the price change and the date change asking them to amend my order. All I got back was an email saying they will definitely have stock on the 14th? No mention of amending my order price to 299.95.

Wish I could believe them but unfortunately I won't be holding my breath. EBay is looking more and more tempting :)

gerryr

gerryr

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

machiavell1,

I just noticed you have one listed on Ebay for 750 buy it now which seems a bit steep mate, another seller has 20 of them buy it now for 299.

Expansys told me on the phone they would definitely have them middle of June.
I have a pre order with Expansys but can't make my mind up wether to get one off Ebay now or wait for Expansys? The guy on the phone from Expansys seemed certain they would have them for circa 14/15th of June but they have changed the date that many times I don't know wether to believe them or not?

Decisions, decisions :) :)

alright shadieb!

just wondering what your estimated days on expansys is for your preordered 8500? mines jumped to 32 days!!! so I'm seriously thinking of goin the ebay route ;)

edit:
just got this from eX

We are hoping for stock to be received towards the end of the month for these goods.

Regards
eXpansys

---- an apology would've been nice. Also contacted the ebayer who said they're being shipped from Aisa, that means almost 90 euro ontop of the bill for import tax :D

what to do what to do what to do

/edit

cheers
gR

Edited by awarner (MVP), 08 June 2006 - 01:59 PM.

shadieb

shadieb

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
Expansys is getting silly now. I get told the 14th for definite. You get told end of the month??

If you live in or near London (which I don't) there is an EBayer with one at 200 start price. He's not got a great feedback rating but prefers cash on collection.

I don't fancy waiting for shipping from Asia with the other seller or a 90 euro charge on top.

Looks like I will have to keep holding my breath for Expansys, or we could try that other place that was advertising them. I can't remember their name but I think it was direct mobile accessories? They had them listed last month at 299 and their website said in stock even though they didn't really have any when I phoned them.

gerryr

gerryr

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

If you live in or near London (which I don't)

No I live in Ireland so I don't think I'll make the trip :)

Saw that site alright but I really doubt they have stock if expansys don't. reckon qtek just haven't released it yet :)

Think I'm gonna stop checking expansys, stop checking ebay, stop giving out about it and just wait for my expansys delivery (its gonna be tough but I'll try!!)

let us know if you do find a supplier!!
thanks
gR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users