So who's got a HTC 100/ 'startrek' /smartflip /qtek 8500 so far?

Guest fluffcat1

GerryR, where did you get yours from in the end? Is it Dopod or Qtek? and have you checked whether MMS works? If so, which network?

This was the killer for me - if MMS is rectified on the model you have, then I might consider getting another one.

Cheers!

Got it off ebay, its the Dopod version. I quickly set up mms settings and tried to send one but it just remains in my outbox. Is this the same problem you had? I don't get an error or anything.

I'm out of the county at the min but will be back tomorrow so I'll much about with the settings. I'll let you know if I've any more luck. PM me if you want the name of the ebayer, I'd highly reccommend him. He even helped with the import tax issues after I asked him.

atb

gR

Guest machiavell1
Got it off ebay, its the Dopod version. I quickly set up mms settings and tried to send one but it just remains in my outbox. Is this the same problem you had? I don't get an error or anything.

I'm out of the county at the min but will be back tomorrow so I'll much about with the settings. I'll let you know if I've any more luck. PM me if you want the name of the ebayer, I'd highly reccommend him. He even helped with the import tax issues after I asked him.

atb

gR

It was a similar problem. It would give me an error message saying can't send. Then it would give me the same message, sit in my outbox saying unsent but actually send a copy anyway to my recipients. Trouble is, I couldn't receive any - I would just get error messages saying "download too big" or unable to receive etc. This was on O2.

I would be very interested in seeing if you can resolve it. Also, in the name of the eBayer when you get a sec (pm me when you are back and have a bit more liberty). Thanks!

Guest DarkJedi

is there a way to CID-Unlock this phone yet? there's a newer rom out there, but tells me Invalid Device ID when trying to flash.... :)

Guest machiavell1
is there a way to CID-Unlock this phone yet? there's a newer rom out there, but tells me Invalid Device ID when trying to flash.... :)

Yes, I think so (I know I managed it somehow), but you need to check xda developers forum and do a search. That's how I did it.

Guest machiavell1
you CID unlocked it??? i think the unlocking would be different from say the SP5. how did you do it?

Need to be sure I am talking about the right thing - I may have crossed my wires, being no expert on this matter.

I used the unlocking methods for C600 on it so that by the end I could:

1. Use any sim card in it;

2. Install any application I wanted irrespective of origin.

Am I missing something?

Guest DarkJedi

CID unlocking is so you can install another vender's rom, IE i can install a Qtek 8500 ROM instead of the original Dopod S300 rom.

Guest machiavell1
CID unlocking is so you can install another vender's rom, IE i can install a Qtek 8500 ROM instead of the original Dopod S300 rom.

Ah. That I did not try.... You're on yer own.... :)

Got MMS working on mine. One setting under the mmsc section, before (on my sp5 for example) "Connect Via" was set to "secure wap connection" I changed that to "MMS Network" and everythings working fine for me. (Vodafine Ireland)

hth

gR

Guest machiavell1
Got MMS working on mine. One setting under the mmsc section, before (on my sp5 for example) "Connect Via" was set to "secure wap connection" I changed that to "MMS Network" and everythings working fine for me. (Vodafine Ireland)

hth

gR

Cool! I will give it a try then. Did you use a cab or input the settings manually?

Cool! I will give it a try then. Did you use a cab or input the settings manually?

set everythin manually as nowhere really has the Irish network settings, I'll post below what I enter, just substitute your netowrks settings:

voda mms

MMS Network

mms.vodafone.net

dublin

dublin

no primery dns

no seconsary dns

no IP address

MMSC settings

http://www.vodafone.ie/mms

MMS Network

WAP 1.2

let me know if you want more info, I've PMd to the ebayer link too BTW.

atb

gR

Guest machiavell1
set everythin manually as nowhere really has the Irish network settings, I'll post below what I enter, just substitute your netowrks settings:

voda mms

MMS Network

mms.vodafone.net

dublin

dublin

no primery dns

no seconsary dns

no IP address

MMSC settings

http://www.vodafone.ie/mms

MMS Network

WAP 1.2

let me know if you want more info, I've PMd to the ebayer link too BTW.

atb

gR

Got it. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Michael95GT

I got my Black Qtek 8500 yesterday.$515.00 shipped overnight(I'm the impatient type);)

So far I'm loving everything about it. Very solid build, great RF, too early to speak on battery life, but if it's anything like the 8125, I'll be excellent too. I'm using it on Cingular, EDGE seems faster than my 8125, but network congestion has a large effect on that so, who knows? :) I really think I've found a replacement for my trusty V3i for when I don'r want to lug around the 8125. :D

Guest gripen77

Hi guys,

I've had mine for 2 weeks now ;)

Overall I like it alot!

There are a few things that could be improved of course..

The keypad touches the screen when closed.

And by doing so it leaves marks on it..everytime, from the rubber keypad.

The battery time is NOT great, especially compared to SE or Nokia "pure" phones.

I've had a maximum of 4 days with only some text messaging and mail checks.

It's slow! Loading up the contacts menu takes quite some time.

Also it takes ages for it to start up after you turn it on.

And if I want to write a text message that screen takes about 5 seconds to pop up the 1st time.

This is of course becasue it's based on a Windows system :)

But after starting an application for the first time it seems to get "cached" in memory and loads up much faster though. (as long as you don't use the task manager to close it)

That's it ! other than that it's a great phone! :D

And still the best phone I've ever owned or seen!

I highly recomend it.

Edited by gripen77

Guest zen123
My only real criticism of it so far is the included belt case. It has a clip at the back rather than a loop(/s). It's about time the manufacturers wised up to the fact that clips come off and inevenitably you loose the phone. Clips are also much easier to be lifted by someone with ill intent. My first quest will be to find a case with a proper belt loop, although I've an idea my old T610 case is about the right size.

This is definitely a phone to have. It's enough like a razr to be mistaken for one and therefore not attracting too much unwanted attention but up close its apparent it's a very different beast. Get one now!

Graham

It seems that only the Dopod versions come a case. I got the Qtek version which doesn't have a case supplied as standard.

Guest markjo

I have had mine now for a week and it seems to be "missing" calls. If I leave it alone for a few hours (like overnight), it wont recieve calls until I open it or soft boot it. Moreover, when I do open it, there are no "missed calls" messages or email alerts (even though I may have several emails).

Surely this couldn't be a setting I have overlooked.

Anybody else having this problem? Its pretty annoying. I'm on Cingular in the US using the same SIM as my old i-Mate Jam which worked great. Could this be a ROM issue?

More importantly, anybody have a clue on how I might be able to fix this?

Edited by markjo

I have had mine now for a week and it seems to be "missing" calls. If I leave it alone for a few hours (like overnight), it wont recieve calls until I open it or soft boot it. Moreover, when I do open it, there are no "missed calls" messages or email alerts (even though I may have several emails).

Surely this couldn't be a setting I have overlooked.

Anybody else having this problem? Its pretty annoying. I'm on Cingular in the US using the same SIM as my old i-Mate Jam which worked great. Could this be a ROM issue?

More importantly, anybody have a clue on how I might be able to fix this?

doesn't happen on my Dopod so it could be a ROM issue. Anyone else with the Qtek noticing it?

Have you tried a hard reset?

gr

Guest kamarge
doesn't happen on my Dopod so it could be a ROM issue. Anyone else with the Qtek noticing it?

Have you tried a hard reset?

gr

no problems here - qtek 8500 branded version, running on Cingular in NYC and LA.

FYI my rom and radio versions -

ROM version: 1.02.251.1

Radio Version: 4.1.13

Guest markjo

by hard reset I'm assuming removing the battery for a minute or two? If so, yes I have. If its more than that, then no I haven't.

In either case, thanks for the reply.

Edited by markjo

Guest iJITSU

There are many, many people experiencing the missed calls. Just go to Howardforums.com and there is a lenghty thread. It happens when the phone is undisturbed for 30 minutes or more. It just stops receiving calls and even if the person leaves a voice mail the voice mail icon will not display on the phone. Appears to be Qtek and not Dopod. Some people don't experience it because they leave the data connection active or have email that is pulling every 30 minutes etc so the phone never really goes into "deep sleep." HTC has been notified of the problem but I haven't heard anything about a fix as of yet.

Guest Pondrew
by hard reset I'm assuming removing the battery for a minute or two? If so, yes I have. If its more than that, then no I haven't.

In either case, thanks for the reply.

Hey Markjo, a hard reset is actually a procedure you follow to restore the device to its out of the box state (in the process losing any documents/settings/apps that were not on the device out of the box...). I haven't come across the hard reset procedure for the STRTrk yet but will let you know (you may be able to find it in the manual?)...

To hard reset you can use the Clear Storage app in Accessories. As Pondrew said you will loose any files and settings you might have in the phones memory so backup backup backup!

I think the manual way of hard resetting the 8500 is shut down the phone, hold the two soft keys and while holding them press the power (red) button and press 0 when prompted.

hth

gR

Guest markjo

Thanks, good to know I'm not the only one.

Hopefully QTEK will get off their buns and get a ROM patch out soon!

I'll try the hard reset too.... although I'm not banking on it fixing this!

Thanks again everyone.