MDA Vario - AKU2 Update

Guest jimmyn

Guest jimmyn

I've looked through the forum and want to update my T-Mobile with the AKU2 update - which ROM is the best to do this with? I've tried to register on clubimate but it doesnt recognise my IMEI number - Please help I'm dying to try out the push email.....

Guest chucky.egg

Dunno TBH

I can't see that it would screw it up, but you may find that there are bugs/issues with the ROM, or that you lose some software (especially the GPRS setttings etc).

You can also download a ROM from the T-Mobile site (cant remember the URL, but I found it here yesterday). You could apply the imate ROM, and if you dont like it (or have problems, and need to send the phone to t-mob) you can then apply the t-mob ROM.

Guest rameses

I've updated my T-Mobile Vario to the iMate ROM and can highly recommend it. My Vario now seems to run a bit faster, is more stable (no odd soft resets or hanging boot ups), the wifi support is better and push email works a treat.

When installing the iMate rom there is an option to customise the install to a specific carrier and country which does appear to put some settings as they need to be. I did lose the T-Mobile GPRS settings, but I just googled and found them easily.

;)

Guest travisb
I've updated my T-Mobile Vario to the iMate ROM and can highly recommend it. My Vario now seems to run a bit faster, is more stable (no odd soft resets or hanging boot ups), the wifi support is better and push email works a treat.

When installing the iMate rom there is an option to customise the install to a specific carrier and country which does appear to put some settings as they need to be. I did lose the T-Mobile GPRS settings, but I just googled and found them easily.

;)

Which of the various iMate ROMs did you go for from the ftp site?

Guest dougsdir
Which of the various iMate ROMs did you go for from the ftp site?

yeah which file did you download from the site and did you have to unlock your phone 1st?

Guest rameses

The one I used was the K Jam WWE 216901 (WWE means world wide english - the ones with specific names are native to that language I believe). You will need to CID unlock your phone first. There's a post in the forums somewhere about how to do so. Also it might be worth having a look at the xda developers forums (just google to find it). There's loads of info on there about changing ROMS and unlocking.

Guest chrisbpr
Yes, you can download a tmobile ROM and apply that if you need to. but AFAICT there's no AKU2 ROM from tmobile yet.

thanks..i will only need it if this goes tits up,i'm still plucking up the courage to update the rom.

has anybody got a link to the tmob rom site ....ta

Guest chrisbpr

all installed...so far so good.

how much data does the push mail service use when just monitring the exchange server ( i am using mail2web) ??????????

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Howard Moon

Just received an email from T-Mobile after pestering them last week. They said that the AKu2 upgrade "was scheduled for release in the UK early this month, however further testing has been needed to make sure the upgrade is secure and fully compatible with the T-Mobile UK network". They then went on to say that "Because of this, we don't have an exact date for release, although a conservative estimate for mid-June has been mentioned."

Let's hope something's released soon

Guest adchaffey

If i was to install the i-mate ROM on my Vario, do you think it will be easy enough to install the T-Mobile AKU2 update when (if!) it's released??

I presume as long as it's a newer version than the i-mate ROM, there shouldn't be a problem. Am i right?

Guest chucky.egg

Not necessarily. IF the IMate ROM is locked, and IF the superCID thingy doesn't work on it, you can't then change the ROM again.

Rom version probably doesn't have any effect, although the process does list your current and the new ROM versions - I think that's just to avoid mistakes though

Guest adchaffey
Rom version probably doesn't have any effect, although the process does list your current and the new ROM versions - I think that's just to avoid mistakes though

You could be right. I'm sure I had trouble though with my old C500 once trying to install a ROM that had an older version number. I'm sure the updater simply wouldn't let me continue because it was an older version. Don't know if anyone can clarify this. I think I'm going to hold out till the T-Mobile AKU2 update comes out as I'm not really too bothered by any of the problems with the current ROM.