Schedule push email?

Guest soup dragon

Guest soup dragon

Hi,

I've just updated to the new O2 rom and have set up a free mail2web account which seems extremely cool right now.

As I don't have Exchange I've simply set up Outlook to forward my mails to my mail2web address where they pop up on my mini s ;)

I've also set the email aggregator to collect mail from my O2 mailbox as I rarely collect it manually.

Now my question is: Seeing as I don't need any mail while I'm asleep, is there an app out there yet that can switch the push email option on and off according to a schedule, or is this set up in the scheduling option in Activsync?

Guest uwaku
Hi,

I've just updated to the new O2 rom and have set up a free mail2web account which seems extremely cool right now.

As I don't have Exchange I've simply set up Outlook to forward my mails to my mail2web address where they pop up on my mini s ;)

I've also set the email aggregator to collect mail from my O2 mailbox as I rarely collect it manually.

Now my question is: Seeing as I don't need any mail while I'm asleep, is there an app out there yet that can switch the push email option on and off according to a schedule, or is this set up in the scheduling option in Activsync?

Instead of playing with that, I just use PPC Profiles Pro to turn off my notification sounds when in "Sleep" profile, and I still get the emails. They just don't wake me up.

Guest soup dragon
Good question

I assumed it was set in the ActiveSync settings for Peak/Off Peak, but I haven't tried that

We'll have to see. I've set the Activsync schedule so in theory if I disconnect the gprs tonight it should not connect again until the morning.

I'll let you know.

Guest soup dragon
Good question

I assumed it was set in the ActiveSync settings for Peak/Off Peak, but I haven't tried that

That would do the trick, but I'd rather not be using my gprs ration up during the night.

Guest soup dragon
Good question

I would have thought it would not be a big job for a developer to knock up and app that switched the push email on at 8 a.m. and off at 7p.m.

I've not done any wm apps otherwise I'd have a go myself ;)

Guest jimbouk

The peak/off peak is the answer. If you leave directpush on, you will be using data/battery. Better to tell it to get messages manually between say 9pm and 9am. You can then do a usb sync when you get up and get all your overnight mail gprs data-free before you go "mobile".

Be warned though - if you turn directpush off manually in the comm mgr, it reverts to as items arrive for both peak and off peak when you turn it back on (although it only takes a few seconds to change the offpeak back to manual).

Guest lozzd

Sorry for slightly offtopic but do you recommend updating to the new ROM? I haven't had any problems with the old one. Are there loads of new features?

Guest chucky.egg
Sorry for slightly offtopic but do you recommend updating to the new ROM? I haven't had any problems with the old one. Are there loads of new features?

Way OT, but... if you haven't had any problems (and dont need/want Push Email) then there's no need to update the ROM

Depending on which ROM you start with, and which one you end up on, there may be some little additions (beyond Push Email) but nothing earth shattering

Guest soup dragon
The peak/off peak is the answer. If you leave directpush on, you will be using data/battery. Better to tell it to get messages manually between say 9pm and 9am. You can then do a usb sync when you get up and get all your overnight mail gprs data-free before you go "mobile".

Be warned though - if you turn directpush off manually in the comm mgr, it reverts to as items arrive for both peak and off peak when you turn it back on (although it only takes a few seconds to change the offpeak back to manual).

Actually I've decided that for now it seems good enough to switch push email off when I'm in the office and simply switch it on when I'm out. Just two clicks.........simple really!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest joepubli

Hi

Can anyone help? I have the XDA Mini S and I don't have the "as items arrive" in the active sync options. I only have 5 minutes and up.

I seem to have the latest version of Rom:

Rom Version: 2.21.4.1 WWE

Rome date: 9th MArch 2006

Radio: 02.07.10

Protocol: 413.1.10

ExtRom: 2.21.4.101

It syncs when I do it manually but not automatically (even at 5 mins)

When I select the Microsoft Direct Push in Comms Manager it rests the active sync option from 5 minutes to manually.

Many thanks.

Joe

Guest jimbouk
Hi

Can anyone help? I have the XDA Mini S and I don't have the "as items arrive" in the active sync options. I only have 5 minutes and up.

I seem to have the latest version of Rom:

Rom Version: 2.21.4.1 WWE

Rome date: 9th MArch 2006

Radio: 02.07.10

Protocol: 413.1.10

ExtRom: 2.21.4.101

It syncs when I do it manually but not automatically (even at 5 mins)

When I select the Microsoft Direct Push in Comms Manager it rests the active sync option from 5 minutes to manually.

Many thanks.

Joe

You have the directpush button so it should be AKU2 and MSFP compliant but I read somewhere that the XDA's AKU2 roms were released in mid April?

Is your exchange server a 2003 SP2? If not you don't have directpush from that end.

Edited by jimbouk

Guest marcwic
Hi,

Thats what was good about my N o K i A 6230i,

it had days of the week and times for email to be checked.

Good old Nokia!