ActiveSync 4.2 Beta Preview

Guest awarner

Guest awarner (MVP)

Microsoft have announced the release of the beta preview of ActiveSync 4.2

Microsoft ActiveSync provides a great synchronization experience with Windows powered PCs and Microsoft Outlook right out of the box. ActiveSync acts as the gateway between your Windows powered PC and Windows Mobile powered device, enabling the transfer of Outlook information, Office documents, pictures, music, videos and applications from your desktop to your device.

Remember as this is a beta there will not be official support from Microsoft, but there is a beta forum you can join to provide feedback.

Only install this if you are a more experienced user as this is not a final release and there may be a few bug encountered with this build.

ActiveSync 4.2 Beta Preview supports PC sync via USB cable, Bluetooth, or infrared connection.

ActiveSync Beta can be downloaded from HERE

System requirements are available from HERE

Guest peekie

Finally a working usb connection for my sp5 :P and the bluetooth option works ;) now its time to upgrade my phone to a M3000 or maybe the M600 ;)

Guest shadamehr

Same results for me...

SP5 syncs... Universal doesn't...

But it had been doing this for a while with 4.1 too, so I am not specifically blaming the beta, merely pointing out that they ain't fixed much.

All MS's arguments about it not liking firewalls etc, and that being the culprit...

They all get blown out the water when other devices will sync fine, but not some others!

Damn you MS...

Guest peekie
Please - can someone confirm if you can sync with categories yet?

yes there is an option to use categories ;)

also got my S100 to sync again seems the computer was the fault ;) all my firewalls are running without any modification needed so over all a better version ( so far ) :P

Guest Dr Who
Only install this if you are a more experienced user as this is not a final release and there may be a few bug encountered with this build.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, HA! Could this also not be said about the final release versions of activesync?????????

Guest Pagemakers
yes there is an option to use categories ;)

also got my S100 to sync again seems the computer was the fault ;) all my firewalls are running without any modification needed so over all a better version ( so far ) :P

Odd. Just received the following email from the MS team:

"Thank you for your feedback. This version of ActiveSync does not have any changes to category synchronization. We are evaluating this feature for future versions."

Guest peekie

the only categories i found were in the calender sync options or do you mean something else ? the option reads ... synchronize only those appointments in the following categories.... ;)

Guest Pagemakers

Just installed 4.2 myself and I can confirm you can not sync Contacts categories.

Pre V4 you could.

Not great if you share 1 copy of outlook between 2 business partners. I want all of his appointments but only my contacts.

V4 does not allow contact or calender category syncing. So everything from his phone is in mine.

Right click in A/S on contacts or calender and the option is not there.

Guest peekie

to see the option you have to do the following... options, highlight say contacts , click on settings on the right at and you will see the option is there at the bottom of the box

Guest Pagemakers

I guess you are not using a WM5 device? If your device is WM2003 then the option is there. On WM5 the settings option is greyed out for contacts and for the calendar the only option is to change how many months behind to sync.

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Bear in mind this is only a point version increase, and at the moment a beta at that. It's been used to address bug fixes, specifically the 85010014 error amongst others, so don't expect any new features (particularly this side of Vista)

• 1 month later...
Guest conan_troutman

ok if you want to synch contacts tasks and calendar with WM5 the same way as WM2003 you need to email

the AS developers now

at this addy

[email protected]

if enough people send in emails they may get the message but you all have to do it and do it now

Guest conan_troutman

hope there are more than just the two of us if only microsoft checked the forums out there that people are using to coplain about the lack of this function the worse thing is none of the after market products that say they can do do the category synching work they are either only compatible with 2003 devices pointless why pay extra for a feature allready there (pocket mirror) or they do not actually synch via categories (xtnd connect I am looking in your direction here)

Guest Wombleuk
hope there are more than just the two of us if only microsoft checked the forums out there that people are using to coplain about the lack of this function the worse thing is none of the after market products that say they can do do the category synching work they are either only compatible with 2003 devices pointless why pay extra for a feature allready there (pocket mirror) or they do not actually synch via categories (xtnd connect I am looking in your direction here)

I moaned directly to them via the feedback link.

Surely, it can't be hard to activate code that must already be there!

A ridiculous state of affairs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.