42 replies to this topic

fluffcat1

fluffcat1

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Devices:8500 amongst others...
First, a note of caution. This is a *guide* you follow at your own risk. If you are in any way unsure, don't try it. If you've done a Typhoon or similar before, you'll have no problems.

THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY so only do it if you REALLY have to, for example you need to replace a smashed LCD or scuffed fascia. Remember kids, crying to HTC won't help if you can't get it back together again :cry:

You'll need a good torx T5, a small flat blade screwdriver and a plastic tool to prise open the case. Try to work in a low-dust environment to minimise the risk of dust entering the screen area.

( I am working on the phone face down for reference to directions with the external aeriel rubber bung, battery, minisd card and sim removed.)

First remove the aeriel cover using the flat blade screwdriver at a 45 degree angle in the two holes either side at the top of the battery. Prise the catches slightly until there is enough gap for you to insert your case opening tool ( or fingernal / knife etc) between the aeriel cover and chassis and lift the aeriel cover in an upwards and outwards motion.

Once the aeriel cover is off, remove the 4 chassis screws ( two at the bottom, two at the top) and 2 circuitboard screws in the battery compartment.

Next, take your case opening tool, turn the phone over so the LCD is facing you, and open the casing by sliding the tool between the fascia and chassis at a downwards angle from the bottom right corner. Once the fascia clips have been freed, lift the fascia / board out of the chassis starting from the top. The camera / external speaker module is fixed to the chassis ( unlike typhoon) so take care to disconnect the ribbon cable once you have enough room to insert your opening tool to lift the connector. Don't just pull it apart.

To remove the mainboard, first disconnect the keypad gently using your case opening tool or fingernail etc to lift the connector near the simcard gate.

The mainboard is held into the chassis by two clips, 1 halfway down either side. Prise these away and slowly lift the board. If the LCD is firmly stuck to the foam surrond of the fascia use your case opening tool to lift it gently.

If you want to, remove the RF shielding from the aera on the mainboard under the LCD. Look ma, no wireless chip!.....

The keypad circuitboard is held in place by two clips. With the keypad face down, prise the left hand side up -do not pull on the connection ribbon - and lift the keypad upwards towards the earpiece to clear the locating lugs at the bottom of the fascia. Note the orientiation of the soft key rubber button pushers - if you get these the wrong way around on re-fitting the buttons will feel strange.

The directional button has a dust cover underneath it - this unit's was full of dust! After cleaning this area with an old toothbrush I now find it more responsive.

Refitting is the reverse of removal. Note, if you are replacing any cosmetic parts, you must ensure you do it properly. For example, make sure when swopping the earpiece you also swop the rubber surround as this provides dampening for the speaker casing and reduces tinnyness.

If you only want to remove the fascia without voiding the warranty sticker there is no reason you cannot, if you have dexterous fingers to remove the keypad from the fascia with the board still in the chassis ;)

Richard

Attached Files

Edited by fluffcat1, 01 May 2006 - 01:38 AM.

'....It's been out in Japan nearly 3 weeks - where's yours?'

hyedipin

hyedipin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Good job , but I wish you took clearer pictures. Especially at full screen they are not doing much good to eyes. ;)

fluffcat1

fluffcat1

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Good job , but I wish you took clearer pictures. Especially at full screen they are not doing much good to eyes. :P

Tell you what, buy me a new camera or start paying for my stripdown guides and then I'll start caring what you think of my pics.... ;)

Richard

Qtek8310

Qtek8310

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Devices:Qtek 8310

Tell you what, buy me a new camera or start paying for my stripdown guides and then I'll start caring what you think of my pics.... ;)

Richard

Good manual!! And pictures are good to understand also! Apreciate your work!!

For people who don't see clear pictures:

http://www.theslurps.com/

jesty

jesty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Devices:C600
Thanks for treading the ground, the dust from my pockets is making its way behind the screen of my C600 now, getting very annoying.

Cheers for the guide.

Snooginsguy

Snooginsguy

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Devices:Tilt, 2125, SMT5600
Yes, very well done. I just pulled the faces off 2 Cingular 2125's to fix buttons and joysticks without voiding the warranty based on these instructions. Thanks!

greenturtle

greenturtle

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Windows Mobile Devices. I love my music and wont go anywhere with out a pair of wireless headphones.
  • Devices:8gb Kaiser
Nice guide, there very easy to understand for example your C550 one was great.

Hopefully I will never need to use this as I hope my C600's joystick wont mess up.

I see you enjoy spaghetti then

Attached File  spag.JPG   20.86KB   338 downloads

hyedipin

hyedipin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Tell you what, buy me a new camera or start paying for my stripdown guides and then I'll start caring what you think of my pics...

You should take some anger management classes, or just post locked topics if you cannot handle criticism, pal.

Mini Man, I suggest don't make fun of Richard's cables, he may get upset or ask you to buy him a cable organizer or wireless equipment. ;)

Edited by hyedipin, 12 May 2006 - 07:24 PM.

fluffcat1

fluffcat1

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

You should take some anger management classes, or just post locked topics if you cannot handle criticism, pal.

Mini Man, I suggest don't make fun of Richard's cables, he may get upset or ask you to buy him a cable organizer or wireless equipment. ;)

;)

No-one asked you to read the guide, look at the pictures or comment on them....if the pictures are not good enough for you then just read the text. They do not need to be good pictures - it's not exactly rocket science and so long as you get a general idea of how to do it they are fine. (If I do guides for soldering componants onto the boards I make the pictures clearer.) If you need 'better pictures' to show where to jam a lever to prise open a phone casing perhaps you should take it into the shop and pay someone else to do it?

As for your last comment?....errr,ok..... :P He wasn't actually criticising my cables and I wasn't showing a picture of them for people's benefit, he was just making a joke.

You on the other hand were criticising something I have done for free for the benefit of others - to minimise the amount of time taken and actually get it posted I have done it quickly as people have started asking. *I* don't need to do guides - I have no problem opening most models of phone even if I have never seen one before but other people do so I've done this for them.

As for anger management, if you can tell that from one sentance then a career as a consultant in the NHS in the UK awaits. You, however, need to take classes in POLITENESS.

Richard

fluffcat1

fluffcat1

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

I see you enjoy spaghetti then

Attached File  spag.JPG   20.86KB   338 downloads

That's actually my 'b' area ( mac mini in the tangle towards centre bottom ) and there's be more cables except I don't have enough power sockets to run a USB hub there. You should see the main desk..... ;)

Richard

greenturtle

greenturtle

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Windows Mobile Devices. I love my music and wont go anywhere with out a pair of wireless headphones.

You should see the main desk.....

Lol, I used to have it like that but then I bought some cable tidys and now my desk is really clear, cant say much for my TV unit though

Attached File  IMAGE_029.jpg   93.42KB   277 downloads

;)

@ hyedipin

I hardly think laughing at spaghetti is worse than saying his pictures are no good. Like his C550 guide for example the pictures show everything you need to see and just give a general view of what it should look like when your doing it.

Richards done a hell of lot for this forum and I dont think stupid comments like that are going to motivate him into making more useful guides like this!

Again nice work Richard

Sam

hyedipin

hyedipin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Whatever guys, have it your own way.
All I said was pictures look bad. And that's the truth. Politeness? Because your pictures look ugly I gotta be polite and ignore them.. Someone else would go ahead and say "you are right, I messed up on the focus, but thanks for the comment", now that's politeness.

I guess you missed my pat-on-the-back "good job" comment.. Chill out.

elziado

elziado

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Devices:Original SPV, C600, M3100
Pat-on-back (left hand)
Slap in face (right hand)

greenturtle

greenturtle

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Pat-on-back (left hand)
Slap in face (right hand)

Lol that made me laugh

hyedipin

hyedipin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
elzaido, I don't think I was that harsh. Really, if I said sounded like that, sorry.. ;)

greenturtle

greenturtle

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

elzaido, I don't think I was that harsh. Really, if I said sounded like that, sorry..

Well it looks like hyedipin has learnt his/her lesson so lets set everything straight and now we can all be friends again. ;)

Oh yeh btw Richard have you now proved there is no wifi chipset on the C600?

fluffcat1

fluffcat1

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Oh yeh btw Richard have you now proved there is no wifi chipset on the C600?

;) Why if only I'd taken clearer photos you'd see in picture number 5 there is a big gap on the circuit board under the RF shielding I removed where there is a BGA connection grid and no chip.....Oh well ;)

In theory if you could source the chip it could be fitted here and baked in an oven to solder the connections, but I wouldn't like to try it. Somebody at XDA-dev has removed a ball-grid array componant from a wallaby board using his mother's kitchen oven to bake it :P

Richard

greenturtle

greenturtle

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
Heh heh, I guess that means theres no hope unless you go to the extreme.

sporkguy

sporkguy

iSpork

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Interests:Phone History:<br /><br />-Nokia 5110<br />-Nokia 8210<br />-Nokia 3510i<br />-Nokia 7210<br />-Sony Ericsson K700i<br />-Nokia 6630<br />-Nokia 7610<br />-Orange SPV M500<br />-Orange SPV C500<br />-Sony Ericsson W800i<br />-Nokia N90<br />-Samsung D600<br />-iMate SP5<br />-MDA Vario <br />-MoDaCo C600<br />-MDA Pro<br />-Sony Ericsson K800i<br />-Nokia E61<br />-Nokia N95<br />-LG Viewty<br />-Sony Ericsson W660<br />-Nokia 6500 Classic Black<br />-Sony Ericsson W910<br />-Sony Ericsson C902<br />-Blackberry Curve<br />-Blackberry Bold 9000<br />-iPhone 3GS<br />-HTC Desire<br />-iPhone 4
  • Devices:iPhone 4
  • Twitter:@Super_Nicktendo

Richard

Now now, let's not get angry at people :]

If you'd like I can take some photos with my 30D and post them up here if it'll benefit your guide :P

randal24

randal24

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Devices:Desire
fluffcat1 - are you 100% sure it's a T5? I've just tried a T5 and it's a wee bit too big. I might have been stiffed on the driver size mind!

Anyone recommend a good place to buy a T5, and don't say eBay :)

Beers
randal.

HTC Desire Black :: 16GB :: PVT4 40000 Boo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users