HSPDA on MDA Pro?

Guest CyRUS-

Guest CyRUS-

I recently spoke to T-Mobile (UK) and was told that although the current 3g speeds are relatively slow (he was quoting me 128kb but I thought it was 384kb?), speeds would be quadrupling come september - I presume this is referring to the HSPDA technology.

He claimed that the MDA Pro was future proof compatible with HSPDA - can anyone confirm this, since I find it slightly surprising for a technology that hasn't launched yet (unless the update can be by software)?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest smckane
I recently spoke to T-Mobile (UK) and was told that although the current 3g speeds are relatively slow (he was quoting me 128kb but I thought it was 384kb?), speeds would be quadrupling come september - I presume this is referring to the HSPDA technology.

T-Mo's network and the MDA PRO are UMTS so max(?) 3G at the moment is 384kbits/s but upgrades possible to 3Mbit/s (as seen in Japan - Do Ca Mo??) That assumes you get the full bandwidth of course, and doesn't account for any overheads, yadda yadda yadda.

He claimed that the MDA Pro was future proof compatible with HSPDA - can anyone confirm this, since I find it slightly surprising for a technology that hasn't launched yet (unless the update can be by software)?

Well, T-Mo just launched their new HSDPA PCMCIA card this week so their network is alive. It is a follow on standard to UMTS so I am guessing that it may be possible to upgrade the firmware to deal with the packet and channel manipulation that the new standard requires, but I can't confirm this. Can anyone say if the capability is in other versions, no experience to comment from, sorry!

FYI: Wikipedia - HSDPA

FYI: Wikipedia - UMTS

Neither are exactly beginners' guides - but always helpful ;-)

Stewart