spvm600 Phone dialer skins and buttons

Guest jamespvm600

Guest jamespvm600

Hi, I've just got this phone/pda and upgraded from spv c500.

I'm finding the phone dialer a bit frustrating, the keys are too small, does anyone know where I can get a skin for bigger keys with the smart dialer. I have already changed the skin as the orange one was impossible to read in sunlight, but its the same size buttons.

Also is it possible to use the 4 way controller joystick thing and the silver button in the middle to move around the phone keys and ie to use the controller to move between keys and use the silver button to confirm then? Would mean less tapping on the screen.

thanks all,

• 1 month later...
Guest pege63
from the 'readme' i'd say it's not a WM2005 app,.

I find the phone OK but agree that phone pad is crap (M500' white and blue was better).

I have spoken to an Orange software engineer and he was to pass this onto technical so hopefully we will get a download skin at some stage. The screen is OK but as mentioned not very good outside in bright light.

I have come up with the following solution that works fine for me (apart for the phone pad which is fixed grey)

1/ I first set the today screen to windows, this gives you white text.

2/ I then created a solid black image jpeg 396*396 lines. and selected that as the back ground, remember to adjust it to 0 transparency otherwise it will be grey.

This give u a black screen, white text and I find this the best way for reading the screen outside.

Also looks cool in the car at night..........

Guest maxwell_hung
I'm finding the phone dialer a bit frustrating, the keys are too small, does anyone know where I can get a skin for bigger keys with the smart dialer. I have already changed the skin as the orange one was impossible to read in sunlight, but its the same size buttons.

thanks all,

Do you mean you changed the skin on the dialer or on the today screen?

If it's the dialer, how did you do this. Totally agree with all the other comments, the dialer screen is nearly impossible to see in sunshine. Don't have any problems on the today screen using the windows default theme.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest maxwell_hung

What you need to do is edit some bitmap files from the windows folder to change the 'skin' as it were.

The files for the grey box are:

indialer_lb.bmp

indialer_ls.bmp

indialer_pb.bmp

indialer_ps.bmp

The rest are for the arrows, I wasn't bothered about changing these though.

To change the background edit Bkgnd_Port and Bkgnd_Land.

The buttons for the numbers are:

NmBtnDn_Land.bmp

NmBtnDn_Port.bmp

NmBtnDs_Land.bmp

NmBtnDs_Port.bmp

NmBtnUp_Land.bmp

NmBtnUp_Port.bmp

I copied these to my memory card, edited them on the PC then pasted them back into windows and rebooted the device. I had to use resco explorer to overwrite the originals as these are read only system files.

Edited by maxwell_hung

Guest PaulF
I had to use resco explorer to overwrite the originals as these are read only system files.

Maxwell

Thanks for the tips - I've stared 'skinning' my dial pad now (never liked the Orange Dark Grey much)

Just for info - you can put these files back onto the M600 using the 'normal' file explorer (I don't have Resco)

When you create your new file(s) - save them on your PC with a slightly different name (e.g. indialer_lb(blue).bmp

Copy these new files into the Windows folder on the M600

Using the File exporer on the M600, rename the new file and remove the additional part of the name (e.g. (blue) )- it will actually show two files with the same name in the folder (which in theory is impossible)

The new files seem to take effect straight away, and then next time you do a soft reset, the old Orange files are overwritten by the new files.

Hope this helps.....

PaulF

Guest PaulF

Max

Unzip the attached file - you should see 9 files. They all need copying into the Windows folder on your phone, and then rename them all to remove the (blue) from the end of each one.

Soft Reset the phone and all should be OK.

I haven't done the landscape files (so it reverts back to grey in landscape mode)

I haven't changed the number buttons yet (but the grey goes quite well with the blue background)

The drop down list for the numbers is not perfect - when you expand it down(using the top arrow button on screen) the white box changes shape slightly (I didn't quite get the two graphics files identical) - I haven't sorted this out yet (because I never use this function - I didn't know what that button did until I started looking at this skin!)

Anyway, hope this helps...

If you make any further changes to this, please post them back up here...

Cheeers

PaulF

blue_phone_dialler_skin.zip

Guest Bri957cc

Rang orange this morning about this subject, the helpline girl couldn't find anything on the system about dialler screen colours and suggested i rang HTC direct.

I just rang them and they suggested I look on Modaco.....

Guest teefaf

Paul F, many, many thanks for posting the .bmp's and your instructions. A great example of why Modaco has become such an outstanding resource!

The files worked a treat, and the phone pad is much easier on the eye now. My only suggestion would have been to put the (blue) bit at the start of the filename instead of at the end, so that the modified files are easier to identify in file explorer on the PPC.

Thanks again!

Guest PaulF
My only suggestion would have been to put the (blue) bit at the start of the filename instead of at the end, so that the modified files are easier to identify in file explorer on the PPC.

No problem - glad they were useful...

Why didn't I think of putting the 'blue' in front ?? :)

I had to turn my phone onto landscape to work out which files to rename - it's amazing how you can miss something really simple and obvious ! ;)

Cheers

PaulF

• 2 months later...
Guest john milnes
Max

Unzip the attached file - you should see 9 files. They all need copying into the Windows folder on your phone, and then rename them all to remove the (blue) from the end of each one.

I haven't done the landscape files (so it reverts back to grey in landscape mode)

I haven't changed the number buttons yet (but the grey goes quite well with the blue background)

The drop down list for the numbers is not perfect - when you expand it down(using the top arrow button on screen) the white box changes shape slightly (I didn't quite get the two graphics files identical) - I haven't sorted this out yet (because I never use this function - I didn't know what that button did until I started looking at this skin!)

Cheeers

PaulF

hope you can help.

tried to follow your instructions but the bmp files in windows were read only so I couldn't overwrite. what am i doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I've just got this phone/pda and upgraded from spv c500.

Also is it possible to use the 4 way controller joystick thing and the silver button in the middle to move around the phone keys and ie to use the controller to move between keys and use the silver button to confirm then? Would mean less tapping on the screen.

thanks all,

You can try here: mesoftware

Max

Cheeers

PaulF

Thanks for these files they make the dialer skin so much more readable. Made one small change to the Bkgnd_Land(blue) - I thought it looked beeter upside down. The origianl version is darker at the top but if you flip it 180 then you can read some of the black text at the top of the screen a bit clearer

Thanks for these files they make the dialer skin so much more readable. Made one small change to the Bkgnd_Land(blue) - I thought it looked beeter upside down. The origianl version is darker at the top but if you flip it 180 then you can read some of the black text at the top of the screen a bit clearer

Good Idea!

I was thinking last week I must have another go at this as it's really hard to see the Bluetooth Headset icon (as it's black) - flipping the background image will sort that out.

You can try here: mesoftware

I tried this but there must be a bug because the dial pad is still the same. It does vibrate and the filter boxes appear at the top only if you switch of the HTC smart dial first. I want the blue pad as shown on the website. Anyone else have any luck?

• 2 weeks later...