Backlight does not work

Guest Mike55

Guest Mike55

I have just bought my second MPX200, and the backlight on it does not work. it simply does not light on. Any suggestions on how I can fix this problem? thanks

Guest awarner (MVP)

Welcome to the site ;)

Do you mean the backlight for the keyboard or the display?

If it's the keyboard then there is a known fault that the light starts to buzz then fails. There is no known cure for this one.

If it's the display then things can still be tricky, there is a flat connector cable that can become worn. There is also a magnetic switch that turns on the screen and backlight but if the display still comes on then it's not the switch.

Guest Mike55

The screen itself does come on, but there is no backlight. its almost impossible to see without the backlight on this phone.

Guest Motorola veteran user

But you should first look at

"programs" - "settings" - "power management" -"backlight".

There are different timeouts there, and "backlight off" too.

Guest awarner (MVP)
But you should first look at

"programs" - "settings" - "power management" -"backlight".

There are different timeouts there, and "backlight off" too.

What ROM are you refering to?

Here are the options on mine, no option to turn the backlight off.

Power mangement

post-53-1148236801_thumb.jpg

Backlight options

post-53-1148236818_thumb.jpg

Display timeout options

post-53-1148236844_thumb.jpg

Guest Mike55

Yeah, my settings are the same as yours. I think w/e connects power to the screen is faulty. Today the screen came on couple of times and went out, and when you hit the back of the screen it sometimes comes on.

Guest Motorola veteran user
What ROM are you refering to?

Here are the options on mine, no option to turn the backlight off.

Power mangement

post-53-1148236801_thumb.jpg

Backlight options

post-53-1148236818_thumb.jpg

Display timeout options

post-53-1148236844_thumb.jpg

I got two of them now,

SP 2002, and both have this option.

As for ROM, this is what I know,

it is original ROM the phone came with,

I have no wish to change it...

A little bit later...

I looked in "settings" - "about" and found build 13258!

And 13121 on the screenshotis is from File Manager's system info.

I don't know why is this difference.

And once more thanks Awarner for your help in Flash storage issue.

My conclusion based on your advice is that Windows CE is lacking the "compact folder"

option we have in Outlook express, and CEMAIL.VOL grows despite of e-mails being deleted.

You can see i again lost 2+MB, from 5,1MB now I have only 2,74MB

of free flah storage. But now I know what to do when needed, rename and replace

CEMAIL.

post-157325-1148254302_thumb.jpg

post-157325-1148254360_thumb.jpg

Edited by Motorola veteran user

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Beastie
Yeah, my settings are the same as yours. I think w/e connects power to the screen is faulty. Today the screen came on couple of times and went out, and when you hit the back of the screen it sometimes comes on.

I have the same problem with my mobile. Any solutions?

Guest xxcrashxx

thats how my screen is, but it doesnt go out fully, it just dims a lot. i bought an mpx200 off ebay that had a screen that didnt light up, i might try to see if i can figure out what the problem is. but i know for sure its not the phone itself, its just the screen. something on the screen.

EDIT:

Ok now, Mike55( or anyone else with this problem). i need you to test sumthin out. follow these diagrams and instructions

hold the phone with you thumbs on the screen as so.....

thumbs.jpg

and with your fore fingers on the front as so...

forefinger.jpg

and push with ur fore fingers. see if the backlight flickers, or even better, turns on.

Edited by xxcrashxx

Guest xxcrashxx

i did find a short remedy for this. but this remedy causes another problem.

what i did was i took the little rubber screw covers from the screen, and put that inside the phone, right under where the M is. it worked for a couple days, but then, the screen cover starts getting pushed off. im sure theres one certian spot where you can apply a lil bit of pressure inside and make it work right. what i did was i took the screen apart, had it plugged in and turned on. i pressed on the ribbon cable of the external lcd and the internal one lit up. so thats how i determined where to put it. but after more messin around, im thinkin thats not the exact spot where pressure needs to be applied.

about this being a common problem. i think it is, look on ebay, u will see lots of mpx200's for sale with defective backlights. i got one off ebay. with a bad backlight, and thats the one im using now, it lights up. so thats a simple but ghetto fix to this. not an absolute fix, but a quick fix for now.

Guest awarner (MVP)

It's not a common fault reported here, it's normally the keypad backlight that fails.

Strangely most hardware faults appear to be on devices from the USA.

• 1 month later...
Guest fluffcat1

I have cured this on a couple of mpx200's with intermittant 'squeeze' faults ( i.e it comes back on when you squeeze the casing) buy stripping and re-seating the ribbon cable on the LCD control board. If the backlight won't come on at all for the main LCD, it could be 3 things: the LCD itself, the LCD control board or the flex cable.

To tell which it is, check the outside LCD. If that illuminates OK it's the main LCD that's iffy, if it doesnt, it's the flex cable or possibly the control board.

I've got all the parts listed on ebay but try stripping and rebuilding your unit first.

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry751483

Richard

• 1 month later...
Guest xxcrashxx

i have been doin some thinking, i havent had a chance to try this, but my schedule for the next few days is open, so i might give it a shot. my thought is that its the ribbon cable that isnt making proper contact. so... by putting a small peice of paper, or even card stock(if necessary), inbetween the ribbon and the closing thingie(as in the attached pic), that might fix the problems. im not too sure on this, i only speculate.

lcd_front_screen.jpg

EDIT:

i proved myself wrong, that doesnt fix anything. im stumped on this one now.

Edited by xxcrashxx

• 4 weeks later...
It's not a common fault reported here, it's normally the keypad backlight that fails.

Strangely most hardware faults appear to be on devices from the USA.

Yep, just bought a cheapie from ebay.com and the display is as dull as ditchwater - funny the ebay description never mentioned it!

• 1 month later...
Guest pcesario

HI! How r u?

I read your post in the backlighting problem here in modaco forum.

I have the same problem...my backlight lights up when y squeeze, shake or press the cover of the mpx200 phone, but in turns off , like flicking...several times! I opened it and saw 2 ribbon cables. When i press and set firmly the one connected to the external LCD, the internal lights up. But then when y close it, it starts to behave in the same way as before.

So y decided to put some sheets of scotch tape for making a little pressure over that connector when i close and reassemble the top cover. I didn't succed, however.

The other connector (which is connected to the internal LCD) is seated properly....

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time!

Greetings :)

• 2 years later...
Guest xxcrashxx

so i know this thread is dead... and most ppl arent using their mpx200's anymore. but... i did manage to find a fix for this. in my previous post, where i put the green arrows pointing to the ribbon... its actually that connector. i got bored last night, and started doin some serious thinking into this(to get my mind off other stuff). so i noticed how that when the board seems to flex is when the backlight turns on. i went and used a few pennies to prop up the pcb(removed both lcd's and speaker from it). i then put some pressure on the center of it to make it flex, then while the board was flexed, i took my soldering iron with a pin point(small enough for smd soldering), and just rewetted the solder joints for the 4 pins closest to the left end(according to the pic in my previous post) on the top and bottom of the connector. after doing that, it worked like a charm, no problem at all... so the real problem here is just cold solder joints..

just figured id post this incase anyone else comes across this and wonders if it was ever solved.

Guest awarner (MVP)

Good to hear you found the cure for your problem.

Interesting to know you call it a cold solder joint, over here we call it a dry solder joint.