Advent 7026 Laptop Bios problems.

Guest awarner

Guest fluffcat1
Well new bios chip installed and no change on the display issue :/

Oh dear. The Gerricom laptop I had in bits was a bit of a weird one. It used a desktop CPU and the graphics card was a plugin module. Check the connections are seated correctly. Other than that it could be corrupt video ram, a loose connection, or a failed componant.

Does the laptop have VGA / composite video out? Does that display OK?

Richard

Guest awarner (MVP)

It displays the same with vga out on my main tv I use for media center, as before with the screenshot it shows the same problem so it's not the screen itself.

The laptop has seen abuse with case damage even though the owner claims to have never dropped the lappy in any way. Even the back up cds are cracked :/

Guest fluffcat1
It displays the same with vga out on my main tv I use for media center, as before with the screenshot it shows the same problem so it's not the screen itself.

The laptop has seen abuse with case damage even though the owner claims to have never dropped the lappy in any way. Even the back up cds are cracked :/

Ok, well it's not a loose connection to the screen and what you say points either to corrupt video ram or a loose video card section. Is the video ram shared from the mainboard? If you can't see in the bios to check, you can work it out from the available ram displayed in windoze versus the actual installed ram. If it is you could try swopping it out / re-seating it, or stripping the unit and removing / refitting the radeon mobile if that is indeed socketed.

Richard

Guest awarner (MVP)

The graphics and heatsink assebly is the one part of the lappy I have not taken apart (yet) so I do not know if it is socketed ot not. Had fun the other day checking for damage, two of the clinch nuts fell out with a few pices of mounting plastic. This has seen some abuse in the past and is probably causing the problems.

Guest fraser

So it's not the bios? I've seen the exact same screen corruption during my laptop engineer days for the following faults:

overheading/broken GFX chipset

bad connection to display

bad CPU seating

Strip it right down and rebuild it. You'd be amazed how often that worked; sometimes upwards of 50% on the production lines I managed. Connection issues can appear overtime through regular use, so we did get the odd field return for the same reasons.

Guest awarner (MVP)

I'll see if I get chance tonight to have a look, should be doing my bit of archery coaching this evening so may not have the time.

While there is damage near the hinge (screen half) which is causing a nasty weak spot, and also flex in the screen when opening the case I am confident the display is not the issue.

There are two heatsinks next to each other, one being the CPU and I presume the other is the graphics. I will see how easy they are to remove.