Pocket MSN on Orange

Guest Kimbie

Guest Kimbie

I have just got Orange SPV M600 and its a corking bit of kit. Im disappointed at Orange for removing MSN Messenger.

I have been told if i hard reset the device I can get it back, but wary of doing that since dont want to bork my phone. Someone also said you can edit a file that runs the customisation after a hard reset and remove the line that removes MSN? Is this true and how can it be done?

Cheers

Kimbie

Guest Tech

they removed msn from the device?

that is STUPID of them to do so...what gives?

I was pretty sure that MSN was bundled in the OS rather than the ROM.

Guest Stabilo

MSN is in the operating system. If you hard reset and then soft reset within the 3 second warning the Orange cab that removes MSN will not run.

Alternatively unlock the extended rom (search xda-developers.com) edit the cab installation file (config.txt) to remove the specific cab (PP_RemoveMSNLink.cab) and do a full hard reset (without soft reset).

EDIT: It looks like I was wrong, the link in programs states Pocket MSN (rather than MSN) and when you click it you are taken to a web page to sign up for the paid for mobile MSN.

I believe you can use Agile messenger instead of MSN.

I will see if I can find a MSN cab.

Edited by Stabilo

Guest rsearley
MSN is in the operating system. If you hard reset and then soft reset within the 3 second warning the Orange cab that removes MSN will not run.

Alternatively unlock the extended rom (search xda-developers.com) edit the cab installation file (config.txt) to remove the specific cab (PP_RemoveMSNLink.cab) and do a full hard reset (without soft reset).

EDIT: It looks like I was wrong, the link in programs states Pocket MSN (rather than MSN) and when you click it you are taken to a web page to sign up for the paid for mobile MSN.

I believe you can use Agile messenger instead of MSN.

I will see if I can find a MSN cab.

install messenger from: http://mobile.msn.com/ac.aspx?cid=pmsn_requirements

Guest Stabilo

Thanks I have done that but I'm a bit confused. I have an MSN account (not a Mobile MSN account) but when I try to use MSN Messenger it comes up with 'to use the product, sign up at http://mobile.msn.com'.

What does 'signing up' involve and are there any costs?

Edit: Looks like it's a one off

Edited by Stabilo

Guest jimbouk

Stop mucking about with mobilemessenger!

Get the proper app from here

Then get the required patch from here

Don't worry that its for WM2003 - it works on the m600.

Guest Stabilo
Stop mucking about with mobilemessenger!

Get the proper app from here

Then get the required patch from here

Don't worry that its for WM2003 - it works on the m600.

Cheers jimbouk, that worked a treat. I'm logged into MSN now.

If like me you were daft enough to install mobilemessenger you need to completely remove it and soft reset PPC before running the 2 files.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest EvilDaz

Alternativley, use Agile messenger. Their Alpha and Beta versions are free. I'm currently using their Alpha version and its very good, you can also use it to log into all other messaging networks you may have accounts with too, such as ICQ, Yahoo messenger etc, etc. so all your contacts on all netwoks are available in the 1 client.

http://www.agilemobile.com/downloads.html

:)

Edited by EvilDaz

Guest PaulF

Hi

Loaded MSN and the update (as mentioned above) on my M600

Does anyone have issues with the notifications?

If I get a notification come through (someone online, or if I sign on to my PC) when I'm on the Today screen, I get the MSN icon in the top bar, and a notification window at the bottom.

I can hide the notification (using the left soft key), but the OK (or whatever other keys) show in the notification window don't seem to work (i.e. I can't 'dismiss' the notification) and it stays there until I reset.

It looks (from the website) that this is only meant for Win2003 (and Smartphone) - so could this be the problem - that it's not compatible with WM5?

Anyone got any ideas?

PaulF

Guest Pondrew

Pocket MSN (which includes the latest version of MSN Messenger) supports WM5 and is downloadable but with a small activation charge although most providers include it on their devices/roms.

What you're referring to is the discontinued MSN Messenger program freely available for WM2003 and earlier devices. This is a standalone program. No it is not WM5 compatible according to the website and I personally wouldn't install it...

Guest PaulF

Thanks for that Pondrew

According to the website, Pocket MSN includes access to Hotmail as well - has anyone got this running on their M600? Can you confirm how this works?

Do you get Hotmail email in your messgaing inbox (instead of having to browse to the website)?

Does is also give a link to the Hotmail / Windows Live calendar (i.e. could you sync the device with the Hotmail calendar)?

Thanks

PaulF

Guest Tambo
Thanks for that Pondrew

According to the website, Pocket MSN includes access to Hotmail as well - has anyone got this running on their M600? Can you confirm how this works?

Do you get Hotmail email in your messgaing inbox (instead of having to browse to the website)?

Does is also give a link to the Hotmail / Windows Live calendar (i.e. could you sync the device with the Hotmail calendar)?

Thanks

PaulF

Yes I've got it installed on my M600 with no probs.

MSN works the same as on the pc.

Yes your hotmail goes into your messaging inbox.

Synching with hotmail calendar? No idea.

Tambo

Guest jm012a9749

if you wanted to remove the orange branding as well then why not just install the imate rom? msn is bundled with that....

Phil

Guest awarner (MVP)

Only problem doing that jm012a9749 is that it's a new device and he will instantly void his warranty.

Definately one thing I would not suggest on a new device.

Guest jm012a9749
Only problem doing that jm012a9749 is that it's a new device and he will instantly void his warranty.

Definately one thing I would not suggest on a new device.

thats true.... isn't there a rom update for the m600 you can flash back to if need be though? just a thought :) obviously voiding your warranty is a bad bad thing to do :)

phil

I asked orange for a link to the M600 ROM on their site and they sent me a link to the C600 one instead....chumps. From there I navigated to the M600 section and there is no ROM update,not even the current one that you can reinstall.