MPx200 Zero Reception in Apartment

Guest beauabroad

Guest beauabroad

Hi guys, been a lurker for a few years, and am finally getting around to posting.

The Facts:

>Have Cingular Wireless

>Live in a large city

>Have had my MPx200 for 2+ years

I've lived in the same apartment for about a year and have enjoyed cell phone receptioin inside the apartment for that time. About a week ago I noticed I had no reception. Instead of seeing no bars, I see a circle with a line through it (the NO symbol). I reboot my phone and still zero reception.

Things I've tried:

>Soft reset + SIM card removal

>Hard reset - Back to factory defaults

>Had Cingular boot me off on their end and reconnect my phone

>Have switched the "choose network" to manual and only can find a T-mobile network, that I am unable to connect to.

Cingular claims that there is nothing they can do. My g/f uses cingular and uses a Ghetto Sony Erikson through Cingular and has no problems at all with reception in my apartment.

The messed up thing is that I obtain reception once I walk about 100 feet away from my apartment. What would have caused my receoption to be fine for almost a year, then go fubar overnight and now have Zero reception?

Any ideas on what I can do?

Guest pavankp

Cingular might have changed something with the cells in your area. Your girlfriend's phone can probably do 850 MHz, but as far as I can tell from the specs, the MPx200 can not. I don't know if anyone at Cingular customer service will be able to verify this positively for you!

Pavan

Guest awarner (MVP)

Presumably there have been no build construction or other obsticles now placed between you and the local transmitter?

Also ask if they have been doing work on the local transmitter, as this can result in a complete loss of signal.

Guest peekie

For me in my garden i have full signal and go inside my house and i have no signal, which is due to the glass used as it has a metal film between the glass ( insulight therm hr++ ) could be you have the same problem as me , it is a pain i can see the local mast which is 100 feet away from my house but cannot recieve it inside ( all all the dutch networks ) gardens are popular here with mobile owners :)

Guest beauabroad

There are new condos being built on my block, could that have something to do with my problem?

Cingular told me that I should upgrade to a new phone that uses a different band. I am not up to snuff on the GPRS vs others, but what band does the MPx200 use... and would upgrading to a RAZR or Cingular 8125 (HTC Wizard) potentially fix my problem?

I'd prefer to hold onto my MPx200 for a few more months until Cingular offers newer HTCs... but without a land line, I'm runninng out of patience with zero cell service.

I'm making a trip across state this weekend, so I'm hoping that once I bounce off some new towers over there I might come back and have my problem fixed.... wishful thinking?

Guest pavankp
Cingular told me that I should upgrade to a new phone that uses a different band.

There are two bands for GSM service in the US. One is 850 MHz and the other is 1900 MHz. Outside the US, 900 and 1800 bands are used. Your phone supports 1900 and 1800. Cingular is indicating that if you get a phone that supports 850, you might have connectivity inside your apartment. Your girlfriend's phone might well be supporting 850, which is why she has connectivity.

Cingular 2125 supports all four bands, AFAIK. As for the RAZR, I don't consider it an "upgrade" over your current phone :). The new HTC STRTrk also supports all four bands.

If you want to get something on the cheap to tide you over until newer models become available, consider the Audiovox SMT5600 (US model only) -- you might get them on the cheap on eBay or from vendors trying to get rid of their stock. The US model of this phone supports 850, 1800 and 1900 frequency bands.

Before you invest in another phone though, confirm with Cingular that an 850 band device will give you connectivity at home!

Pavan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest beauabroad

The Lockline insurance will replace my MPx200 with an Audiovox 5600 (HTC Typhoon). They have a $50 deductable. Decent phone?

Guest awarner (MVP)

It's getting old now (around two years) but it's still a decent phone. All depends what your budget is on another device.

Guest beauabroad

I'm happy to report that the Audiovox 5600 arrived yesterday and has a full 4 bars in my apartment.

While I would had ideally wanted a WM5 phone, the $50 I spent on the 5600 should tide me over until some newer HTCs come out in the US.

Thanks for all the responses and info!