How many people do you know with a Windows based mobile?

Guest Laser_iCE

Guest Laser_iCE

This has really been annoying me over the past few days...

I want to know whether or not Windows Based smartphones/PPC's are popular where you are. Here in Australia, it's a very rare sight to see a mobile with WM on it, unless of course it's the electrician who come and fixed the air conditioning in Subway, or the shitload of PPC's that get around so people can write notes... But my main concern is actual mobile phones/PPC's.

The reason that I ask is purely because when I hear all this discussion about T-Mobile and O2 and what-not from the Europeans on the site, it sounds like that they're really quite popular over there, and somewhat in the US...

Is Australia lagging behind with their lack of technological knowledge? Is it a case of being exposed to a few and then generalizing the rest?

Let me know :)

Guest pavankp
This has really been annoying me over the past few days...

I want to know whether or not Windows Based smartphones/PPC's are popular where you are. Here in Australia, it's a very rare sight to see a mobile with WM on it, unless of course it's the electrician who come and fixed the air conditioning in Subway, or the shitload of PPC's that get around so people can write notes... But my main concern is actual mobile phones/PPC's.

The reason that I ask is purely because when I hear all this discussion about T-Mobile and O2 and what-not from the Europeans on the site, it sounds like that they're really quite popular over there, and somewhat in the US...

Is Australia lagging behind with their lack of technological knowledge? Is it a case of being exposed to a few and then generalizing the rest?

Let me know :)

Before I moved here, I was told that the San Francisco Bay Area was the wellspring of all innovation on earth and that the streets are overflowing with early adopters. So I am shocked to say that over the last one year, I have not met even one person who uses a WM smartphone. And believe me, I have been looking for these in other people's hands ever since I got my Typhoon last summer. Among the business types, the Treo and the Blackberry have caught on a lot more than WM has. Some techies I've met use PPCs. The rest of the world thinks the RAZR is sophisticated.

So I am cynically extrapolating my limited experience to the situation in Europe. It's just that the operators in Europe have done a better job of pushing these devices, and now there are more early-adopter types there than in the US. We at Modaco are just a self-selected bunch of users who are out of touch with the humdrum cell phone reality of the masses :).

Over the last month or so, I have been noticing a lot of ads for WM5 devices though, mostly on the public transit systems around San Francisco and magazines. And it looks like Microsoft is paying for them, not the networks!

Pavan

Edit: Actually I did meet a few people in the US who use WM smartphones. All of them work for Microsoft ;).

Edited by pavankp

here in Ireland I've only ever seen 4 smartphones/ ppc phones and they've all been mine lol

we're usually about 5 years behind the UK and none of our operators really stock them (yet!)

gR

Guest w411y

I know:

1 owner of a C600 (Inspired to buy from seeing my C550)

4 owners of a c550 (3 of which bought after playing on mine)

1 owner of an M5000 (After fiddling with my M1500)

2 owners of a C500

I also saw a random person on a C550 the other day

Whenever I pull out one of my devices I always get someone like "Whats that never seen that before?"

Bare in mind I'm just a school kid, most people I know are teenagers who are attracted to the light of "Ooooh a pink phone" or "Ohhh that phone plays music". Only if they knew what smartphones could do. When my neighbour saw me watching the worldcup in my back garden on my M1500 his skin went green with envy as he was struggling to pick a signal up with his pathetic little portable tele :) :)

Edited by w411y

Guest Laser_iCE

Wow, this kind of surprises me a bit... I should have suspected the US would be more inclined to go with the Blackberry system...

As previously mentioned, everyone in Australia seems to go buy a RAZR and think "omg wow this phone can do so much", but it's just so unbelievable what people are missing out on with Windows Mobile! I always remember stunning people with my Smartphone2 when I would be on MSN Messenger, and now that I have my K-JAM, even moreso! Especially with the wide-screen orientation and IE, people become so amazed that a phone can do so much...

Mind you, it is great being a one-and-only in a crowd...

Guest nevawlkalone

Myself...since the original c550 now...looking for a new one, not sure what yet!

two mates on c500

Mates folks on c500 and c600

Boss on c550 after fiddling with mine

Few guys at work on c600.

Guest mandt

My mate got a Wizard after playing with my old C550,

bloke at work also getting one soon

Father in law C550

but all after I showed them mine

The only other people I have seen with windows phones have been Orange phone trainers.

with what these things are capable of everyone should have one, but go into any shop to look at the 'latest' phone and all you will get offered is the latest Sony Ericsson, Nokia or similar

I will always remember my workmate thinking his W800i was amazing til I showed him TomTom on my C550! and now he's blown away by my Vario!

Guest oink1
I will always remember my workmate thinking his W800i was amazing til I showed him TomTom on my C550! and now he's blown away by my Vario!

Aahh! - You pulled the old 'Can your xxxx phone do this though?' move! :) I managed to convert a guy I work with to a *cough* 6680 *cough* so I'm kind of pleased about that, but I'm the only person I know with a Windows based phone/PPC :)

Edited by oink1

Guest Brins0

A guy at salford uni in my computing course has one (Got mine after playing with his), other than that, I only know of one other person who has one (c550) which he got after seeing mine.

When i upgraded to my XDA Mini S, i lent my c550 to my mother, an she was like "WTH, where's the messaging thing?", an i'm like, "Use the start menu" which she hadn't noticed...

It sucks that the c550 didn't have copy/paste functions really, i'd prolly have stuck with it!

Guest DaveGrohl

It seems like a lot of people get smartphones after playing with someone elses. I got my Orange SPV E100 after playing with a friends. I now have a C600.

My cousin has my old E100.

My dad has my old E200

and my brother has just had my old C550

My other cousin and her husband have a C500 and a C600

3 technicians at college have C600's all after playing with mine.

I also have a friend whohas just got a M5000 but he's one of these people who has to have the latest gadgets (Daddy bought it)

I've also seen a few members of staff in various orange shops with smartphones.

Guest Confucious

Two people at work who sit opposite me have Compact IIs, My Ex g/f had a C600 and her son had my old C500.

I work for an outdoor media company and we are thinking of getting Wizards for all our operatives.

On the train every day I see people using WM devices.

I used to have a Blackberry but they are so pass

Edited by Confucious

Guest G1LIW

Laser_iCE - Here's something that'll make you laugh, then, mate: I work on the buses here in London, and fully 30% of the drivers in my depot (myself included now, lol) have Windows-enabled smartphones! It's getting to the point where you can't hear yourself in the crew-room sometimes for the swapping of the latest ringtones, video clips, and whatnot!

Guest Disco Stu

My sister has a C500 but moans that she can't download ringtones from those cheesy adverts...she must have been adopted :)

A couple of friends have a C500 / C600 after my evangelism paid dividends. A couple of other friends have had PPCs but now prefer smaller non-WM phones. I get a lot of "yeah fantastic but I just want something simple" comments. I will usually pick up other WM phones from Bluetooth searches and have spotted them in the pub on a couple of occasions. In general though they are rare.

As an accountant I see clients / businesspeople with PPCs but, again, the Nokia / laptop combination is far more prevalent. I deal with a lot of doctors and they are getting into Ipaqs due to a software tie-up.

Guest FuzzySensei

I got a C500 about a year ago and 3 months ago got an M600 on upgrage (was lucky they appeared 'In Stock' and my web upgrade went through). I turned one of my friends from Symbian to M500 last year and yesterday he told me he bought a 2nd hand HTC Wizard (Vario). He's a developer and now is writing comercial software for Smartphones and PPC.

A total convert, slowly working on everyone else.

Guest mavisdavis

I've got around 40 people to upgrade now to WM devices and even more are following as old handsets become available :) I'm sure its more but I cant be arsed to list them all lol

Wheres my bloody commision Orange ya tight gits ;-)

Guest CaptainZok

Ok me to start with MDA Pro, following on from my M2000,E200 & SPV classic.

Wifes just got a Compact II after her C550,E200.

Eldest son's just got the C550 from his E200.

Youngest sons got the M2000 but he's keeping his E200 for school.

My mates got a C500, coz her E200 died a death.

Her son's got a C500 after his E100, his gf has his old E200, one of his mates was so impressed he got an E100 and another of his mates has got his dads old SPV classic.

So all in all I think Ive started a mini smartphone/PPC revolution in the Bolton area.:)

On a side note I wonder how many of us start with the smartphone and then want that bit more and get the PPC phone? Personally its me, the wife and our youngest, the 11yr old gadget freak lol.

Guest fraser

I only know a couple of folk with a smartphone, after liking mine and buying one. To be honest, can you think of any adverts you've seen for them? From the looks of things there's a lot of word-of-mouth going on here. O2 used to advertise the XDA, but that was a long time ago. That what got me interested in the line, but it was a couple of years until the SPV came out that I got one. Unless you have PC and are confortable with using it, I think many folk might be missing out or would be out of their depth with a smartphone. I know one guy who was & he went back to Nokia!

I do know a guy with a huge array of devices on his desk, but that's in work and they aren't his... :)

Guest Confucious

Check out major train stations -big advertising campaign by MS featuring SmartPhones and PPCs advertising mobile office seem to cover all networks)

2 people in my carriage on train today had them, one a wizard the other a C500

Guest morpheus2702

I now know 4 people with a Windows device. Two friends with a C600, one with O2 XDA IQ, and the guy in our Hong Kong office with the Dopod version of the Prophet. What I can tell from this I don't know, but compared to 3 years ago, that's 4 more people!

Guest nevawlkalone
So all in all I think Ive started a mini smartphone/PPC revolution in the Bolton area.:)

Whey sunny bolton...thought i was the only one on here from there lol

Edited by nevawlkalone