Am hardly ever reachable

Guest pierre

Anyone has the same problem like there's full range of network, but hardly any call get through when someone wants to call me; it'll say "the user is out of range or switched off..." HELP!!? :?

I must add that I got a second SPV E-100 (basically for my wife), and out of the 2 one works really nicely with the Network thing, while other one is pretty bad. Funniest is after a hard-reset it improved somewhat, but nothing so great... I think it might be a hardware problem. I'm thinking to bring it back to Orange.

Ever since I got this SPV it's doing that. :shock:

I only feel concerned now as I'm using it more since a couple of days but might again switch to my GD-87 if this bug persists so much as it does now...

Guest AsherUK

My SPV doesn't ring as often as I'd expect.

I thought my friends were just avoiding me 'cos they know they can't drag me away from this forum ! ;), but two of my customers have now told me they've tried to call but my phone was switched off ...and I NEVER switch my phone off (except when re-booting !). So it is quite disturbing to find other people with the same problem and also quite disturbing when I think of all the people who might of called but not got through.

I'm hoping my problem is just the welsh mountains killing my signal, if it is an SPV problem then I will have to get a different phone.

Guest Paul [MVP]

I think we might need to conduct a proper test of this (i.e. attempt 10 calls to your own phone at various times and locations), and post results?

P

Guest jtsaint

Hmm I have this sometimes. The phone will be sitting on my desk and suddenly an answerphone message appears. The phone has never rung and gone straight to answerphone.

I really like the SPV as a principal but the key point is that it is a phone. No amount of increased functionality should undermine the devices key specification - to be able to make and recieve phone calls!

Would be interested to hear from anyone that is experencing a similiar issue

I fully agree with that, and after using Ericsson for 10 years, I find these kind of bugs really frustrating. I would like to openly ask Microsoft and/or Orange' developpers to focus their works on making it a proper phone first of all, coz for now I'm forced to keep it for occasional/recreational use as my main purpose for having a mobile phone is to be reachable... :roll:

Unfortunately, I get loads of call put through straight to voicemail. It's a bitch.

I can cope with the fact that my girlfriend often goes straight through to voicemail when my phone is switched on and displays reception bars, but when it is the big boss trying to get hold of me, that is an entirely different matter.

I used to advocate this phone to everyone, now I feel embarrassed to do so considering the grief it has given me. If it can't perform the most basic function- receiving a call, then this phone is doomed.

Guest Matt Whitfield

Unfortunately this seems to be a disturbing trend with phones that are trying to be more than just phones... It seems that a lot of times, basic phone functionality and usability issues get ignored.

Personally when I brought the SPV I didn't expect it to be particularly good as a phone (and it isn't). I brought it for the rest of the functionality it offers - which is great. This doesn't mean that there is any excuse for the SPV having issues with basic phone functionality, it's just you probably shouldn't be all that surprised...

Having the same issue...but unfortunately with alot of the calls that do get though the phone rings.. i press "accept" and the phone drops the call ! Which is a bit crap to say the least... although a good move by orange there as I then have to call the person back ...

Erm...strange problem, are you guys all using the GPRS Traffic counter? im not and im wondering if its not a problem with the phone itself since i dont have these problems, and GPRS Traffic counter is running all the time.

The only reason i sugest that its a GPRS/Traffic Counter problem is because people have said that they loose calls specfically when using GPRS and i dont use much GPRS, maybe its doing an auto sync or sommit when you loose a call? Just wondering.

Otherwise it could be an issue with oranges network, however unlikely.

Bit mumbled but you get the gist!

DJ Hope

I've found that I am unavailable only when sending/receiving GPRS data, not while you are connected to GPRS but not doing anything with it. This is most evident when listening to streaming data (try calling yourself at this time).

This theory means that you could miss a call if, for example you were downloading a web page or MSM was sending a heartbeat. Depending how much GPRS you are using this could effect you.

Apparently this is to do with the version of GPRS the SPV runs (B or C or something). Sending voice and data at the same time is only possible on version/spec A, which no handset currently implements.

Others have noted that they get calls during downloading, though, so I'm confused. :?

However saying all this I've had no missed calls that I am aware of and, as I use it mostly for personal use, I can afford to miss a few and use the answerphone. Living in London (with the tube) I'm used to not being contactable all the time. Hell even in my job I'm often away from my desk for periods of time and use the answerphone. As long as it doesn't get too ridiculous. And as long as I get the answerphone notification (though that's a whole other topic).

Barry

The GPRS traffic counter runs on the phone and counts GPRS traffic - it doesn't connect or use GPRS so I wouldn't have thought.

This is not just a SPV issue, I've seen this happening with my old Samsung A100, and I'll tell you, that had no frills!!

For me, having the wife diverted to voicemail is no laughing matter as there's too much explaining required.

Someone can explain what is this GPRS Traffic' counter..?

It counts GPRS traffic! Basically on GPRS you're charged on how much data you download (though currently the UK has a £6 a month "unlimited" offer). Orange have provided no way of measuring this though so you have to buy seperate software to do this.

Check out:

http://www.handango.com/orange-cobrand

I've been using GPRS and been able to receive phone calls, but this drops the GPRS connection as soon as you answer.

Yeah same here.

But I do suffer from the unreachable problem. In fact the very 1st test call I made to the phone went straight to answerphone :cry:

Guest strathclydezero

I've had this problem. I missed a call while using MSN and it came up on the home screen as a missed call, but never cancelled the MSN client as it normally does. And it's happened more than once. Orange said they'd investigate it and then threw it back at me. Supposedly I should test it for them.

Guest ptwilliams

Thank goodness its not just me !

This is happening ALL the time to me. I get a full signal in my kitchen, and suddenly a voice mail appears.

Also, has anyone had the phone "crash" temporarily when it receives an incoming call ? The hourglass appears and goes round and round and you cant actually choose the "accept" key. Bummer.

I have finally given in this morning and slotted my SIM card into my trusty T68. I will await the update (and await, and await) and then give it another go.

Rest in peace SPV !

Dont give up on the SPV just yet, mine has NEVER hung up whilst a call is coming through i would get a replacement first before giving up completely!

DJ Hope

My symptoms are: don't receive sms/mms or calls. People who call go straight to voicemail. I cannot call out. If i attempt to SMS out I never receive "Message Sent". However upon restarting, all pending SMS's are sent, and all waiting sms's arrive, I'm also notified of my voicemails.

Orange replaced my phone for exactly this problem. Unfortunately the replacement hasn't solved the problem. Before replacing the phone, orange ran a diagnosic that identified "a problem", but they never told me what exactly the problem was. The woman I was dealing with was pretty clueless when it came to SPV's ("Orange Backup - what's that?"), and I think she just replaced it to get me off the phone.

I have noticed a probable cause of the problem. It seems that leaving Internet Explorer open, and in the background will cause this to happen after about 5 hours. Possibly it's not just IE, but any program left running in the background.

Does this match anyone else's experience? Can someone test it?

Adam