Am hardly ever reachable

Guest pierre

yeah im being patient in waiting for the uk update but the fact that ive had the same problem on 2 handsets led me 2 believe its a handset issue.

and well im having thr problem with no other apps running! i switched on my phone 2day and a few hours later it i got a call on my landline with colleagues saying they are getting through to my answerphone and i had no other apps running in the background. lets hope the uk update does the trick

I did notice a while back that the ring tone for my wife did give me 'unable to answer call' errors and, on occasion, she reported 'an 'orrible noise' when I attempted to answer.

I changed to a shorter ring tone and the problem disappeared.

Perhaps we have been over-enthusiastic with the ring tones?

I noticed this morning, after turning the 'radio' back on, that when I got to work I had an active GPRS session and messenger was signed in.

Perhaps these are two possible bugs?

This problem with answering calls has happened to me no end of times, sometimes i get the error message, but a couple of times the phone has just crashed on the Calling screen and i have had to take the battery out.

My SMS are all badword up, my phone says i have 3 but none are in my inbox (it did used to say 0). People are constantly ringing and saying "why didnt you reply to my sms", my answer "i didnt get it".

Sunday night i was expecting an extremely important phone call regarding a job opportunity. Two hours after not getting the call i decided to ring the other person. I had 2 signal bars but the phone would refuse to dial out, it would just beep. Incedently the dialing out problem has happened a fair few times too. When i finally got to speak to this chap i asked how come he hadn't rang he said "I have been ringing for two hours, but your phone was engaged" I said why didnt you leave a message on my answerphone? It turns out the he was just getting the engaged tone, which is bloox since i wasn't on the phone and its set up to go to my pissing answer phone.

If all this crap isn't sorted the phone is going back due to the fact that it can't serve its purpose as a mobile PHONE!

user adamh wrote this a few days ago:

"I have noticed a probable cause of the problem. It seems that leaving Internet Explorer open, and in the background will cause this to happen after about 5 hours. Possibly it's not just IE, but any program left running in the background.  

Does this match anyone else's experience? Can someone test it?"

Has anyone checked that out?  (i couldn't as per yet but think it's worth trying...) :?:

After posting the original comment I've left IE running in the background for over 24 hours now, and I can still make/receive calls. So maybe there are other factors with this problem.

I do think that this thread is now describing two different problems.

Prob 1: Can't make/receive calls even with apparent signal. (Could be tranmitter problem, could be that the radio on the phone has crashed.)

Prob 2: An error message when answering an incoming call.

I assume you all guys use GPRS quite often. Well I think there is some link to GPRS. I do not use it often and usually it is not used till after I finish work. I never had any apparent/serious problems as discribed here. Hope not. I did have some issues though after using GPRS and quite often did a powerOff/On after using GPRS. It seems that either the GPRS network is causing havok to the phone, or the phone to the network - lloks like both. With no GPRS usage - all seems fine just fine..

My SPV is not receiving calls on Line 1 right now !!!

When I call Line 1 on my SPV from a landline I get number unobtainable tone. If I call Line 2 on my SPV the phone rings normally and connects ok.

I have been using GPRS on Line 1 heavily today as part of my job.

It does look as though there is a link here with using GPRS on Line 1 and not being able to receive incoming calls.

Also I am unable to send SMS to Line 1, but an SMS to Line 2 worked perfectly.

I just called Orange CS on 150 ......... :evil:

Apparently someone in Orange terminated my Line 1 account by mistake !!!!

Thank god I have got 2 Lines !!!

AAArrrrggghhhhh !!! :evil:

Guest bigmonkey
My symptoms are: don't receive sms/mms or calls. People who call go straight to voicemail. I cannot call out. If i attempt to SMS out I never receive "Message Sent". However upon restarting, all pending SMS's are sent, and all waiting sms's arrive, I'm also notified of my voicemails. 

Orange replaced my phone for exactly this problem. Unfortunately the replacement hasn't solved the problem. Before replacing the phone, orange ran a diagnosic that identified "a problem", but they never told me what exactly the problem was. The woman I was dealing with was pretty clueless when it came to SPV's ("Orange Backup - what's that?"), and I think she just replaced it to get me off the phone. 

I have noticed a probable cause of the problem. It seems that leaving Internet Explorer open, and in the background will cause this to happen after about 5 hours. Possibly it's not just IE, but any program left running in the background. 

Does this match anyone else's experience? Can someone test it? 

Adam

I had the exact same problem as you! I only found out on Sunday when my gf phoned up askin why I was ignorin her! I think the problem had started on Friday.

Also my alarm didn't go off on Saturday morning or sunday morning - but after restarting my phone on sunday, all my txts came through and both the alarms went off!

I know the phone hadn't forzen up 'cos i'd been using it over the weekend, although the call I tried to make on saturday mornin wouldn't connect.

I think, but im not sure that the '1' in the status bar wasn't there. I think that the 1 indicates the actual connection to orange just like the G represnets connection to GPRS

So therefore even though I had signal i didn't have a connection to line 1...

Only a theory but it makes sense.

It's driving me absolutely mad!

Am on my sencond handset. I have been bloody patient.

It disturbs me a great deal that I am unable to:

1) receive calls, as they are sometimes sent straight to voicemail even when I show full bars and my colleagues next to me with Orange phones are receiving as normal.

2) It rings and it does not allow me to answer, instead it shows me an error message.

I really miss my Motorola M301. It was a brick, but i could always answer and make phone calls with ease.

I love the SPV.. being able to read the guardian on the bus on the way to work is so cool. I love MSN messenger. I love the fact that I can take photos and stuff. But I also want a phone that acts like a phone, ie, I can speak to people normally.

My 2 pence worth.

Benzo

Guest strathclydezero

I've found that while there is an active GPRS connection I cannot get incoming calls (tested with my landline). If there is no data passing through my connection then I receive the calls no bother. I have told Orange this and they have agreed that I should still receive the call even when there is an active data connection via GPRS (I checked the GPRS standard for class B phones which indicates that this is possible). They keep coming back with fixes which do nothing and send it back to tech support. Could some of you test this on your phones? Try loading a big website so the data flow keeps going and ring yourself while this is happening. Cheers.

Guest bigmonkey

If you switch off the 'Radio' the '1' in the status bar disapears, it says 'no service' where it normally says 'orange' and you get a no signal indication.

I reckon that it is the 'Radio' that's crashing - im sure that musta have happened to me and quite a few other people who seem to have had this problem.

It's like the Radio crashes or freezes up but there's little or no indication that has happened. Apart from, as with me, the '1' wasn't there.

Has anyone else had that Line 1 indicator disapear around the same time there phone has stopped working?

Guest castlebrae

I too am having this problem, I connect and then it immedialety cuts off as if the other person has hung up. (Of course maybe everyone DOES hang up whenever they see it's me!)

I await the UK update and hope it will fix it. It better, or I will have to return my phone.

Guest awarner [MVP]
If you switch off the 'Radio' the '1' in the status bar disapears, it says 'no service' where it normally says 'orange' and you get a no signal indication.

I reckon that it is the 'Radio' that's crashing - im sure that musta have happened to me and quite a few other people who seem to have had this problem.

It's like the Radio crashes or freezes up but there's little or no indication that has happened. Apart from, as with me, the '1' wasn't there.

Has anyone else had that Line 1 indicator disapear around the same time there phone has stopped working?

When you turn the radio off that is ment to happen that's why it's called radio off.

It stops your phone from sending and receiving a signal.

Are you saying that you are getting the same problem as if you are turning the radio off?

Yes, it's exactly as if you've turned the radio off. However there is one big difference, the signal bars are still visible. When you deliberately turn the radio off you get a "No Access" symbol instead.

And the 1 may or may not be there - no one seems to be able to remember.

My replacement handset does seem to be behaving much better than its predecessor. This one has only done it to me once, whereas the other did it once a week or so. So maybe it is a hardware problem.

Well, mine has improved a lot as well since I did the update (Swiss'one); I was once unreachable as I had opened the "orange update" program, but mostly it looks like working a lot better now... Yet Am not using it a lot, so still got to test it and see.

Guest bigmonkey
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it's exactly as if you've turned the radio off. However there is one big difference, the signal bars are still visible. When you deliberately turn the radio off you get a "No Access" symbol instead.  

And the 1 may or may not be there - no one seems to be able to remember.  

My replacement handset does seem to be behaving much better than its predecessor. This one has only done it to me once, whereas the other did it once a week or so. So maybe it is a hardware problem.  

Yeah that's what I mean't, seems like where all gettin the same problem... hopefully this'll get fixed as it's a pretty big issue!

Guest jmrodriguez

I just started having this problem yesterday and it definetly has to do with the phone. I am using ths SPV in the US and have the same problem you guys are talking about. When I switch the SIM to my T68i, the signal is at full strength.....hopefully the update will fix this problem.

• 1 month later...
Guest xanadu

I missed a call this afternoon even though I was not in a call.

Someone left me a message on my voicemail at 5-30pm, and I didn't receive this until 7pm !!. It was only when I removed and replaced the battery due to a lockup that I received the voicemail.

My SPV has locked up a few times today, and it seems worse since the UK update.

GPRS is so slow now since the update, that it makes CSD WAP seem fast.

Also the power on button is worse than ever, with having to make several presses to get the keylock menu or power on and off.

Am I the only one, or should I ask for a replacement SPV ?

Guest fixit

I've noticed the late arriving voicemails and the slowness of the GPRS as well, although the GPRS speed does seem to vary from area to area. But never mind, the 'all you can eat' web access deal runs out soon and if we've only got 1 meg to play with a month we'll be using occasional MSN messenger and that'll be it... so speed shouldn't matter too much.

Guest vijay555

Out of curiosity, has anyone considered putting pressure on Orange re the Sales of Goods Act and selling a product that is of an unsatisfactory quality and unfit for its advertised pursposes? It's just stirring trouble, but i reckon you could potentially get fully refunded for this pain in the ass.

Guest strathclydezero

I'm giving them a reasonable time to fix the bugs first before I go down that line. Although my patience is starting to wear thin.

• 5 months later...

I can see that i have joned this discussion late, but i am experiencing all the same problems. i just put it down to the phone being a small computer and as such espereicnes randam problems. i believe it must be something wrong with the handset if you can switch it off and back on again and it then works as a phone then it is the phone and not the network.

quoting the above message does anyone think it worth while using the " Sales of Goods Act and selling a product that is of an unsatisfactory quality and unfit for its advertised pursposes?"

Would i be able to get the phone upgraded to from spv to spve100 this way?

Guest pcheaven

This is definatly a SPV fault

I usually get between 15 and 40 calls a day

On My T610, or GX20. No problem.

As soon as I started using my SPV E100 (Orange UK)

my incoming call rate dropped by half!!

Everyone went straight to voice mail.

This didnot change even when I SIM UNLOCKED and put a Vodafone UK

SIMM in.

Cured the problem TOTALLY by buying a Mitac 8380.

It is a better phone by Far.