Old Mobile Shut Down?

Guest nowimboard

Guest nowimboard

The girlfriend came back from work last night with an interesting story.

The rumour is that the phone networks will soon be "shutting down" services to mobiles Older than 5 years? Im sure that this is a load of rubbish, sure its breaking some form of trade laws, so im not worried in the slightest and neither should your grandma!

Has anyone else heard this though? That soon you wont be able to use any mobile older than 5 years?!

Guest Pondrew

Sounds extremely unlikely to me. I'm sure eventually when 3G is established the networks will want to stop supporting 2g and 2.5g devices but that's a long way off.

• 1 month later...
Guest goochy1

Well i know the phones completely shut down after six months or something when nothing has been done with it i.e not been turned on - getting no action lol

goochy1

Guest mandt

I think this is only true of PAYG phones, no matter how old, if you don't top up in six months the number expires, possibly so the phone companies can re-use the number?

Guest goochy1
I think this is only true of PAYG phones, no matter how old, if you don't top up in six months the number expires, possibly so the phone companies can re-use the number?

Yes that would make sense completely. Other wise they'd end up with now more numbers to give out meaning no more sims and stuff. cheers mandt

goochy1 :)