HTC go l33t?

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest nedge2k

htc_new_logo.jpg

You may remember recently, HTC took a majority stake in Dopod. This was done in a move to allow HTC to provide devices under their own brand. Well, HTC announced today that not only will they be selling the Heremes and the Breeze under their new HTC brand names of TyTN and MTeor (repectively) but that these devices will be sold through Qtek under the new HTC brand...

MTeor_and_TyTN.gif

HTC, the world's leading provider of Windows Mobile

Guest sporkguy

The HTC brand will be well received I reckon.

And I'm eating my words: that breeze looks a LOT nicer from the side angle pictured.

Guest fluffcat1
You may remember recently, HTC took a majority stake in Dopod. This was done in a move to allow HTC to provide devices under their own brand.

From what I read / understood it was done to give the chairwoman of HTC ( who also owned dopod anyway ) a tax-free dividend from the part sale of her share of dopod to her employer HTC.... :)

I believe also that dopod will still be the brand for Asia so I don't think it's related to the new logo / own brand launch as it's not like they will have common distribution worldwide. I would be surprised to see Qtek last long though as they are currently the european brand AFAIK.

Nice logo though.

Richard

Guest nedge2k
From what I read / understood it was done to give the chairwoman of HTC ( who also owned dopod anyway ) a tax-free dividend from the part sale of her share of dopod to her employer HTC.... :)

Be that as it may, it's speculation and the official line is that HTC did it to release devices under their own brand. I don't fancy tangling with HTC lawyers, do you? ;)

@sporkguy: have to agree, looks much nicer from that angle :)

Guest loki_f

cool.. about time!

I think this is a move they should have made a long time ago.

Should be interesting what happens with i-Mate now!

Guest leethacker

wtf, guys! look at the breeze! where is the front camera for videocalls?! it has gone!!! breeze now sucks even more!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest sporkguy
wtf, guys! look at the breeze! where is the front camera for videocalls?! it has gone!!! breeze now sucks even more!!!!!!!!!!!

Well spotted.

Perhaps this is just a mockup and they forgot to insert the video-call camera? Maybe even the Asian markets won't be receiving a 3G version of the breeze? who knows! :)

Guest Paul (MVP)

There is no button on the keypad for answering a video call, so, in summary, no video calling! :|

So 3G data speeds is the ONLY upgrade over the Faraday, and an arguably uglier form factor.

Oh...

Hermes (sorry MTeoR) for me all the way!

P

Guest sporkguy
There is no button on the keypad for answering a video call, so, in summary, no video calling! :|

So 3G data speeds is the ONLY upgrade over the Faraday, and an arguably uglier form factor.

Oh...

Hermes (sorry MTeoR) for me all the way!

P

Ahh, another cashcow for L'Orang

Guest fluffcat1
Should be interesting what happens with i-Mate now!

Yeah. As hopefully HTC will now support devices properly. From what I've read, Qtek is dead as a brand very soon. Lets hope they bury the lack of support with the name....

Richard

Guest fluffcat1
Be that as it may, it's speculation and the official line is that HTC did it to release devices under their own brand. I don't fancy tangling with HTC lawyers, do you? :)

Seems to be more conclusion rather than a concrete reason.

Dopod will continue in Asian markets alongside the HTC stuff, and QTek's the one that's turning into HTC according the the press, so they didn't need to buy dopod to release devices under their own brand - they already could via Qtek being renamed.

Richard

This is all quite sad :)

HTC really need to get on the ball and produce up to date products matching their opponents, such as Nokia.

If they released a Symbian phone with those specs, they wouldn't sell more than a couple of units. I like the WM platform but this only stretches so far before all the other benefits of phones on other platforms sway me.

Guest rikwebb

A breeze without 3G calling is all 'hot air' :) if you ask me - or is it all wind ??

Seriously though - no 3G calls is a real let down :) lets hope its a mistake !!

Rik

Guest peekie

Think they need to improve the camera before they move into 3g , can see the caller the other end asking whos that bluur on my phone :)

Guest Confucious

I've been using 3G phones for 3 years and have only ever made 2 video calls just to see what it was like - does anyone actually use video calling?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Not the point tho is it... in a consumer market, it's a black mark.

I would quite like to own a phone with it, and the Hermes DOES have it.

Hermes also has a 2MP camera...

Breeze has little noticeable improvement but also microSD.

P (still despairing!)

Guest Confucious

It doesn't have Symbian either - is that a black mark? Having, or rather not having, features I will never use doesn't worry me.

The hermes does look rather good though....

Guest battletank
Why HTC seem to have chosen leetspeak to brand their deivces is beyond me. Maybe they're trying to appeal to a yonger audience? Let's just hope the likes of Orange and O2 don't follow suit. That would not be teh r0x0r (whatever that means) :)

Didn't Moto start all this nonesense , with razr's, pebl's, rokr's and slvr's?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Monolithix (MVP)
This is all quite sad :)

HTC really need to get on the ball and produce up to date products matching their opponents, such as Nokia.

If they released a Symbian phone with those specs, they wouldn't sell more than a couple of units. I like the WM platform but this only stretches so far before all the other benefits of phones on other platforms sway me.

TBH HTC's kit is pretty advanced, on the PPC side...

But yeah, they need to sort themselves out on the SP scene...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.