What the hell is T-Mobile doing?

Guest nevawlkalone

Guest nevawlkalone

Not sure if this is old news or not but i had to post this..prob in wrong area to but it s loda crap...

T-Mobile are banning IM on WnW... something to do with the fair usage policy rubbish!

Hello Matt

Thanks for your email about the use of instant messaging services on web 'n' walk.

I've checked this for you and I'm afraid web 'n' walk is not to be used for this service. Web 'n' walk is 'unlimited' but is still subject to a fair use policy.

The policy is as follows:

"To ensure a high quality of service for all our customers, web 'n' walk is not to be used for other activities such as (but not limited to):

modem access for computers

internet based video/audio streaming services

peer to peer file sharing

internet based video download

internet based telephony.

If such use is detected, notice may be given, after which network protection controls may be applied which will result in a reduced speed of transmission."

Full details of this can be found at http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid=plans_webnwalk

Thanks again for your email Matt and I'm pleased I've been able to help today.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to reply to this email or contact us through our website.

Kind regards

Aimee

Email team

That a serious blow for me as i was lookin forward to using IM on the train etc on the way home....

What a T-Mob playing at?

Edited by nevawlkalone

well really to be honest its a huge blow - so pretty much you cannot do much.

accessing websites technically (with images etc...) use much more data than IM however there really cannot be a way to exceed more than 2GB per month.

Surely this 2GB (which btw is not "unlimited") should be allowed for you to transfer anything via IM (including video/audio) as long as it stays within the barrier?

its the same thing for ISPs when they cap their download/upload transfers - you can do what you want as long as you do not exceed.

Guest w411y

Can they actually detect if your using IM or not? I suppose the amount of data downloaded in a time will be different but surely they have enough data transfer going on to monitor one person?

no they cannot detect what you are actually doing. they would need packet sniffers and this is against the law as it invades one's privacy and frankly, they dont have enough resources to go through each one of their customer's accounts to check on what they are doing.

Guest nevawlkalone

It does also say that

it is not to be used for
not i isnt possible to use it for...

I think either way ill end up on T-MOb and WnW etc if they cap it, they cap it. Am sure tradining standards dont like them mooching in on what people are doing by way of monitoring or spyware etc!

Guest chucky.egg

T-Mobile are not making these things clear

They really should just come clean and specifically block the things they dont want - which is probably just VOIP.

At the end of the day T possibly can detect it, if they can be bothered, and if they have the resources to do it. If you dont take the p1ss then they'll probably never think of looking

Guest Dr Who
No offence but that seems to be the long way round of saying what T-Mob say! Yes its banned but you coud prob get away ith using it! Fair usage etc so i supose its down to trying n seeing...

Is a shame if it is billable because it will be a short lived contract!

You could always get everyone to shift to google chat - it uses a web interface, so will be completely indistinguishable from web traffic.

To be honest I don't think TMob will give a monkeys and are just covering their backs. It also probably says somewhere the phrase, "including, but not limited to", so they can effectively revoke your contract for any unusual use profile. The best answer would be to cane your connection and any IM will just get lost in the 'noise'. I don't believe they will shut anyone down for this, although I am waiting with interest to see if anyone receives a pre-action warning.

Guest chucky.egg
Messaging over Internet Protocol is prohibited

So no emailing either then?

I am waiting with interest to see if anyone receives a pre-action warning.

That'll be the real test. We know that some people are using IM, so if they get warnings we'll actually know what T actually mean!

A very noble sacrifice Paul! :)

Guest nevawlkalone
We know that some people are using IM, so if they get warnings we'll actually know what T actually mean!

A very noble sacrifice Paul! :)

Bravo lol :)

Guest PayableOnDeath

So no emailing either then?

does it also mean people cant go on blogs, forums, guestbooks,etc as these are all forms of messaging over IP?

best thing to do would be to use a web based IM site like http://www.e-messenger.net/ the have a mobile verison which you can use over PIE and as far as t-mob know its all website traffic :)

might bet better writing a letter/email to all the Directors, Head of CS,etc @ t-mob complaining about it, that normaly works for other companys :)

Guest nevawlkalone
best thing to do would be to use a web based IM site like http://www.e-messenger.net/ the have a mobile verison which you can use over PIE and as far as t-mob know its all website traffic :)

Was just thinking that self....however there must be some way of tracing it back to IM as it has the interface etc but i could be embeded in web code....hmmmmmm *brain cogs turn lol*

does it also mean people cant go on blogs, forums, guestbooks,etc as these are all forms of messaging over IP?

True but not instant messaging...

Edited by nevawlkalone

Guest Confucious

I thought thois subject had been done to death over on Mobiholics?

As far as I see it someone has misinterprited MoIP as meaning any messaging service.

It is not excluded in the T&C and until they tell me otherwise I will continue to use it.

The reasons for banning VoIP and streaming have been well documented as it kills the system if you use these on GPRS (but not 3G).

I've had no problem using mine :)

They dont need to use packet sniffers to block/check traffic all they need to do is to block the ports those apps use.

Kimbie

true but I can see alot of issues with that already, besides, people would probably use web messenger instead

Guest nevawlkalone
true but I can see alot of issues with that already, besides, people would probably use web messenger instead

Or find a way around the sniffers...

Guest nevawlkalone

This should clear things up....sucks if you ask me but like peopel on here have said it hasnt affected them so bottoms up!

Hello Matt,

Thank you for your further email about our Web'N'Walk service.

You would physically still be able to access a IM client as we have no way of blocking these. What would happen is if we detected usage (any usage at all) of this type of application we would take steps to prevent further usage.

This could range from implementing a bandwidth throttle which would slow down your data transfer speed or in extreme cases we could move you to a limited allowance price plan.

I am sorry if this means Web'N'Walk is not suitable for yourself, if you have any further queries please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards

Ross

Escalation Desk

Technical Data & Multimedia Support (TDMS)

=T===Mobile====

So in theory you can use it but idf you get caught you will more than likely get shafted....thats if tey can be arsed tracing data patterns.

What a bag of CRAP

Edited by nevawlkalone

Guest Pondrew

I don't see the concern myself. T-Mobile are offering the best data tariff by far and as long as no one takes the michael no action will be taken. They're just covering themselves (even if admittedly it doesn't seem particularly logical)...

...I very very very much doubt T-Mobile are going to have a go at anyone unless they're consuming huge amounts of data on one of the prohibited services, and I mean HUGE. (and that would just be the first stage where they issue a warning that further abuse will result in a reduced service)

Guest nevawlkalone
...I very very very much doubt T-Mobile are going to have a go at anyone (and that's just the first stage when they issue a warning) unless they're consuming huge amounts of data on one of the prohibited services, and I mean HUGE.

True...

Guest Confucious
I don't see the concern myself. T-Mobile are offering the best data tariff by far and as long as no one takes the michael no action will be taken. They're just covering themselves (even if admittedly it doesn't seem particularly logical)...

...I very very very much doubt T-Mobile are going to have a go at anyone (and that's just the first stage when they issue a warning) unless they're consuming huge amounts of data on one of the prohibited services, and I mean HUGE.

I agree - but if you are streaming or using VoIP over GPRS (rather than 3G) it is likely to be picked up as it could (would?) have a detrimental effect over other users. I don't think it's the amount of data that's so much the problem as the effect these have over the system (ie blocking channels) which is not the case on 3G due to the different way it works.

Guest Pondrew

Makes sense Confucious. I was really just referring to users who occasionally use IM rather then peeps actually using VoIP though. Suspect T-Mobile would take VoIP more seriously but expect they would still have to warn before withdrawing the service or slapping extra charges on.