New T-Mobile UK ROM - password lock using TomTom etc

Guest Swampie

Guest Swampie

After updating my Vario to the latest T-Mobile UK ROM I noticed quite quickly that when I had set the device to lock itself after 30 minutes, it still locked itself when charging/syncing with my laptop. Old version never locked itself whilst syncing/charging - which is sensible. New way it works is just annoying.

However, on Saturday I was doing a long journey in the car, so used TomTom on my Vario (in a charging cradle) and about 30 minutes into the journey, it locked itself and asked for the password. Now, that isn't just annoying, it's actually dangerous. You'd either just have to ignore it and wait until you can stop to disable it (on the motorway, easier said than done), or try to do it whilst driving (far from ideal!). Again, 30 minutes after entering the password, it does it again - so I turned off password now.

Any idea how to get the password to work as it did on the Original T-Mobile UK Vario ROM? Any hacks? Anyone else experienced this? I could live with the annoyance of the PDA locking itself whilst syncing - but not whilst driving. It never did this before.

Any advice?

Thanks

Guest adchaffey
However, on Saturday I was doing a long journey in the car, so used TomTom on my Vario (in a charging cradle) and about 30 minutes into the journey, it locked itself and asked for the password....

I have the exact same problem. In fact, I used to set the password to be required after 0 minutes. This would mean the password would only be required when the device goes into standby mode (whether by timeout which can be set differently for if the phone is on charge or not) or by hitting the power button. This doesn't work either with the new ROM so I have also had to disable the password which is FAR from ideal!

Edited by adchaffey

Guest adchaffey
I don't seem to have this problem on my Vario with CoPilot. Guessing it's a TomTom issue?

Maybe, but it's only started happening since the ROM update. And there is definately something not right with the password feature set to 0 mins. Certainly is behaving as I'd expect, or in fact as it did in the old ROM!

Guest Swampie
I don't seem to have this problem on my Vario with CoPilot. Guessing it's a TomTom issue?

It's not just TomTom - it's also just when it's charging/syncing - if you have a password enabled after a time limit then when syncing/charging over USB it will, after the time limit, put the password screen up.

This has changed with the new ROM version. Previously if charging/syncing it didn't ever ask for a password (useful whilst on your desk all day).

It also does it in TomTom, but isn't exclusive to it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest minty1978

i think it is more of a t-mobile rom problem.

I am running the imate rom on my Vario, with tom tom. and mine is fine.

I have mine set to ask for password after 30 mins...but it only kicks in when im no using the phone.

Guest mcwarre

The same thing happened when imate updated their k-jam rom. Tomtom doesn't now stop the keylock activating.

Taken from another forum credit to poster weatheryoko

Finally!!!!

I finally figured out a solution that will work for any GPS Application (actually, ANY Application) that you want to "Keep Alive". The long and the short of it is this:

When you upgrade your WM5 ROM with the MSFP addition, the

Guest Swampie

I just set mine to lock itself after 12 hours. I'm unlikely to be driving my car on a 12 hour journey (whereas a 2 hour one, which is the next shortest option I could be).

Less secure than before - but it'll just mean that if whoever nicks my phone doesn't use it for 12 hours, then he's stuck.

Not ideal though

Guest adchaffey
Less secure than before - but it'll just mean that if whoever nicks my phone doesn't use it for 12 hours, then he's stuck.

Not ideal though

Far from ideal! I can't imagine anyone not using the phone for a whole 12 hours! By then the phone will be de-branded and sold to some dodgy drug dealer in the corner of some seedy pub for a tenner's worth of crack!

And not only will he have MY phone, but access to all of my contacts (yes BOTH of them) including addresses, phone numbers, birthdays...

Edited by adchaffey

Guest adchaffey
Why don't you just use the fix above????? :) ;) :D

Because it says...

The real problem lies if you have your device set up to receive

Guest tdodd
Because it says...

I don't connect to an Exchange Server and never have, so surely it can't be this causing the problem?? It's more that something has changed in the new ROM which means only user interaction can prevent the lock coming on, where as Tom Tom and other applications were able to somehow prevent this lock from coming on in the previous ROM.

I installed the new ROM a few days ago and tried TomTom for the first time today and I also got hit with this problem. I don't use Push or Exchange Server either. I don't see why I should have to shell out more spondulicks and spend time effing about with my machine just because T-Mobile cocked up a previously perfectly satisfactory solution. If it ain't broke don't fix it! Well, T-Mobile, now it is broken so kindly fix it this time.

Guest DerekCohen
After updating my Vario to the latest T-Mobile UK ROM

Where did you get the T-Mobile Uk Vario ROM update from?

Is it easy to do?

Guest mcwarre
Because it says...

I don't connect to an Exchange Server and never have, so surely it can't be this causing the problem?? It's more that something has changed in the new ROM which means only user interaction can prevent the lock coming on, where as Tom Tom and other applications were able to somehow prevent this lock from coming on in the previous ROM.

What it is saying is that if you do connect to an exchange server there will be a problem with this fix as the adminstrator has made a setting which a user cannot change; if you do not connect to an exchange server then there is NOT a problem using this fix :) ;) :D :(

To make it clear it is not a setting that causes this. It is an 'issue' with tomtom as the updates (K-Jam included) have changed the device timeout from password to lock. Tomtom tries to disable password not lock. So with the update (which has lock), tomtom is trying to disable the wrong think.......... :P :D

Guest welshgaz
You get the rom from the Tmobile website and it's easy to do, just follow the onscreen instructions ;)

http://t-mobile.iris-global.com/download_m..._mda_vario.html

i am on rom 1.6.2.4 wwe, rom date 11/15/05, radio version 01.12.10, protocol version 4.0.13.23 and extrom version 1.6.2.105.

what are the differences between my current rom and this new one? I use Yahoo mail (pay for yahoo plus so can download using POP), can I use push email or is this just for exchange server? I'm a bit confused as you experts will probably be able to decipher! :)

Any help and comments would be great.

Cheers

Welshgaz

:D

Guest Pappagallo
To make it clear it is not a setting that causes this. It is an 'issue' with tomtom as the updates (K-Jam included) have changed the device timeout from password to lock. Tomtom tries to disable password not lock. So with the update (which has lock), tomtom is trying to disable the wrong think.......... :D :(

So what you're saying is that we would have to open a problem with the TomTom guys to make a fix for this :)

I did some searching around, and on forum.xda-developers.com the same behaviour is described for HTC Universal. At the end of the topic someone claims to have found a solution:

I have a fix! (I think)

1. Get a registry editor (I used minied of sourecforge.net, because its opensource, but there are many others available)

2. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\Security\LASSD\AE\{50C13377-C66D-400C-889E-C316FC4AB374}

- The value called AEFrequencyType will be 1. Change it to 2.

- Ensure the value called AEFrequencyValue is 0

Exit the editor and reset the device.

From now the device should only lock to the password screen when the power shuts off, as per pre-AUK2 behaviour.

Note that if you go in to the lock settings screen, it will try to change the AEFrequencyType value back to 1. Also, this will *not* work if you have an Exchange 2003 enforced policy for this setting active. The policy will overwrite it.

i am not able to try it myself at the moment, but if anyone can try ;)

Edited by Pappagallo

Guest adchaffey
I did some searching around, and on forum.xda-developers.com the same behaviour is described for HTC Universal. At the end of the topic someone claims to have found a solution:

i am not able to try it myself at the moment, but if anyone can try :)

Fantastic! Great find mate, cheers!

Just made the change on my Vario and it appears to work perfectly. The exact behaviour I wanted!

Guest Pappagallo
You get the rom from the Tmobile website and it's easy to do, just follow the onscreen instructions ;)

http://t-mobile.iris-global.com/download_m..._mda_vario.html

A bit off-topic :) but I'm stuck with the Dutch version of the MDA Vario, including the Dutch Version of AKU2. I'm not able to change the language to anything other than Dutch and I would like to set my Vario to work in English.

Before I go out and Flash my Vario to the UK WWE version, does anyone know if that version just supports English, or can I switch to Dutch from the same ROM using only a soft reset?

In other words, does the UK WWE version enable switching between different languages?

Edited by Pappagallo

Guest adchaffey
In other words, does the UK WWE version enable switching between different languages?

I have the latest T-Mobile AKU2 UK ROM on my Vario, and the regional settings do allow switching to Dutch (both belgium and Netherlands). So I guess it'll be fine. :)

Guest Pappagallo
I have the latest T-Mobile AKU2 UK ROM on my Vario, and the regional settings do allow switching to Dutch (both belgium and Netherlands). So I guess it'll be fine. :)

Thanks, but I think Regional settings just changes settings like Date/Time/Currency etc. At least in my ROM I can also change regional settings to 20 different Spanish Settings, 10 different English settings, Russian, Swahili etc.etc. but I don't think it will also change the language of the OS, which is what I would like to be able to do. So, apart from the Regional Settings, is there perhaps a Language Setting ?

Guest peekie

There sadly is no way to change the Dutch on your rom unless you put a uk rom on it , have the same problem myself with the SPV M3000 as it was not brought out in the uk there is no rom to flush it with , and as i dont want the rubbish on the t-mobile rom i wont flush that one ;) seems strange the sp can do this the ppc is behind on this mater so if you want more than one language on your phone then the only way is to get a smartphone , which on this case is smarter :)