Talking Point: What app or tweak are you really missing?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Smartphone, and indeed Pocket PC, have come a long way since the early days of only finding a handful of software to download, and now we are somewhat spoiled by a veritable feast of applications ;)

In today's Talking Point, I invite you to answer the following question:

'Which application, game or tweak would you really like to see for your device, and would you pay for it?'

You never know, a developer or tweaker might be inspired by your request, or a fellow member might be able to point you towards an application that already exists!

In Talking Point tradition, here's my list...

Device:

iMate JAMin

Wishlist

Tweaks:

Tweak to turn off flashing LED for signal reception - would pay a small amount for tweak / tweaking app that did this

Tweak to make a very small vibrate when pressing keys on the input panel - would pay a small amount for tweak / tweaking app that did this

Applications:

FOLDERSHARE (.com) client for Windows Mobile - would pay for this

Blogging client for Invision Power Blog - would pay a small amount for this

Fully supported and working CellTrack - would pay a small amount for this

Games:

Lemmings for Pocket PC - would pay for this!

Worms for Pocket PC with online multiplayer - would pay for this!

Minesweeper Flags for Pocket PC with MSN Messenger interop - would pay for this!

That's a few entries off the top of my head, let's hear your list! :)

P

Guest PayableOnDeath
Lemmings for Pocket PC - would pay for this!

Worms for Pocket PC with online multiplayer - would pay for this!

Them 2 are must lol :)

been years since i played lemmings, oh all them hours of lemmings droping from very high unfinished brigdes lol ;) :D

cant really think of any tweak or apps as got all the ones i need at moment, apart from a self charging battery so it never runs out lol

Guest Webreaper
Them 2 are must lol :)

been years since i played lemmings, oh all them hours of lemmings droping from very high unfinished brigdes lol ;) :D

I'm sure I've seen lemmings for PPC somewhere? There must be a java version...

Tweaks I could do with are:

1. App to auto-send SMS messages that I've written as soon as my phone comes back into reception.

2. Send/receive across all my accounts at once, rather than just having to do it manually one-by-one.

3. Send email only, for when I'm scrimping on GPRS usage and just want to mail people, not receive emails.

4. Tweak to make it so that the reminder vibrate on my XDA Mini S only lasts 1s, not the 5s that it currently does (sure I saw this somewhere, but never found it since.

I keep meaning to look into writing some of these myself, but never have time. :(

There's probably more...

Edited by Webreaper

Guest Addic

SDAII smartphone & Loox 720 PPC

I would gladly pay a small amount for a "hearts" type game to play on my smartphone.

I would really like for an app similar to Omegaones Journal to be single handed operation. (using the stylus to navigate on a crowded train is NO joy), I would pay a small amount .

That's my tuppence worth.

Guest dishe

VOIP!!

I can't beleive no one else mentioned it!

There is not a single commercially available SIP compatible VOIP client for the smartphone platform.

Sure, there's woize, but Woize is really just a Skype wannabe. I want to use my own phone provider. I mean come on, that's why I bought a device with WiFi!

Why, developing community, WHY?!

The pocket pc has Xten, SJphone, and a few others that can be "hacked" and made to work on smartphone, but their interfaces don't work very well without the touchscreen. Then there's Cicerophone... which has been tested and works on an imate sp5m. But they won't sell it, and you can't get it anywhere.

So very frustrating.

Guest hockeyump

Not Lemmings, but Cavemen that dig, climb, parachute down cliffs etc

http://www.lightworksgames.com/cavemen/

Otherwise a free clone same as the above

http://isitar.en.softonic.com/ie/22395

Not VOIP but using contract minutes to make "free" international calls from the UK http://www.yourcallworld.com otherwise mobile to other network mobile rates (not all providers) for PAYG

Edited by hockeyump

Guest chucky.egg

I really want a tweak that sets the Default Input Methond on my Wizard (T-Mob Vario) to Letter Recgoniser.

I've just had to Hard Reset because the tweak I made killed my device!

Guest chucky.egg

Gawd bless Sprite Backup!

I want to be able to sort my tweak, so that I can apply it to our work phones with a bunch of other "standard" tweaks.

Might try SK to find the correct SIP id!

Guest Socrates

I want a voice program for WM Smartphone (especially) that will simply let me assign a voice command to each KEY on the phone and also to each ascii letter and symbol. Assigning voice tags to people and programs isn't very useful to the way I use the phone at all. It would also be nice if it could do dictation of spoken words for emails.

I want an 8 way joystick that controls a true native mouse pointer! That would make it easier for me to move to ppc (which I haven't done because one-handed use is the most important feature for me and after playing with a friends ppc I realized one-handed use was a major problem). I'd also like this on smartphone, but mostly for programs like IE.

Guest migsoft_dev

1. App to auto-send SMS messages that I've written as soon as my phone comes back into reception.

This will be a part of our Missed Calls app.

You can check out progress here:

www.MSMobileSoft.com/forum

Regards

I'm sure I've seen lemmings for PPC somewhere? There must be a java version...

Tweaks I could do with are:

2. Send/receive across all my accounts at once, rather than just having to do it manually one-by-one.

3. Send email only, for when I'm scrimping on GPRS usage and just want to mail people, not receive emails.

4. Tweak to make it so that the reminder vibrate on my XDA Mini S only lasts 1s, not the 5s that it currently does (sure I saw this somewhere, but never found it since.

I keep meaning to look into writing some of these myself, but never have time. :)

There's probably more...

Guest dishe
I want an 8 way joystick that controls a true native mouse pointer! That would make it easier for me to move to ppc (which I haven't done because one-handed use is the most important feature for me and after playing with a friends ppc I realized one-handed use was a major problem). I'd also like this on smartphone, but mostly for programs like IE.

I'm not sure if I understand the use of the first item you described, but for the love of g-d, THIS is a great suggestion!

It doesn't even have to be 8-way, I'd settle for a 4 direction use of the included joystick of my sp5m... but there really should be an app out there that lets you create a virtual mouse pointer on the screen. That way, all those PPC programs that need a touchscreen for their interface could still be used!

I totally think its possible... they have that program that lets you point and click with your computer's mouse when connected, why can't I do it on the road with the joystick?

Guest Paul (MVP)

I thought of something else I would really like... a List Manager application like 'ListPro' that supported multiple users, syncing to an online service.

OK, I basically want to be able to download at any time a shopping list that the missus maintains from her phone / PC, when I go past Sainsbury or Tesco :)

P

Guest yoos

I'm intrerested in tweaks to save on battery life. The 1st one would be how to stop the backlight from coming on when the joystick is pressed in or moved. The problem is that the phone is in a case/holster all day and the joystick constantly gets pressed which is a waste of battery power. I can use the soft keys to turn the light on manually when the phone is locked. The joystick sticks up and too often gets pressed in the case. I have an HTC Tornado (SDA) by the way.

Guest Socrates

Oh, the other thing I really want is a way to sync a personal PC and a work PC on to the same device without the data being mixed together when syncing back to the two PC's.

Guest mandt

Would be great if PIE could handle multiple (or pop up)windows. Would be useful when PIE is tweaked to receive desktop content

Guest Socrates

A forward button. Back is neat, but sometimes you might want to go forward to the page you just came back from without having to reload the entire link.