Internet via USB

Guest jim.mason

Guest jim.mason

Hi,

Please help as I am getting really frustrated.

I just got an XDA Mini S and have installed SBSH Pocket Weather on. However I can't get it to download via USB. If I unplug then it connects via GPRS and downloads what it needs to.

I have been on their support forum and have had responses with various comments on what to do.

I also noticed that I cannot connect PIE on USB either. EDIT: Error Code is 0x80072f78

I am running the latest version of MS Active Sync 4.2.0 build 4876 and wondered if this might be the problem. Iwas using a previous version but can't remember trying to connect etc etc.

I have also downloaded trial versions of Fizz Weather and Weather Panel thinking it maybe Pocket Weather, but these can't connect either.

Cheers in advance

Jim

Edited by jim.mason

Guest jim.mason
Are you connecting via a proxy server? If so, try changing your internet connection settings.

No, but my PPC is connected to my laptop which is connected to the internet via my company network if that helps.

I thought it maybe AS at fault but I have tried using my old Qtek S110 which connects fine.

Have tried various settings but god knows what the problem is!!!

I will try connecting to my home PC at the weekend to rule any issues with the company network.

Cheers

Jim

Guest adchaffey

Just out of interest, what operating system is running on your PC at work? I've never had a problem with connecting to the internet via my PC. But essentially I suppose Active Sync is 'bridging' the internet connection which I know wasn't supported in older windows operating systems (but i could be thinking as far back as windows 98, can't quite remember!)

Guest jimbouk

It is something to do with the corporate server. Your set up includes an ISA server acting as a proxy on the network and for some reason your pc cannot pass on the web connection over the Activesync IP connection to the device.

Guest jimbouk
totally with jimbo on this one

According to MS, the latest final build of 4.2 should deal with proxies and ISA settings without having to set up a path on the desktop. I wonder if the presence of a path confuses it?

Either that or you have a firewall issue...

Guest afzaal

Can anyone tell me that how to connect to internet via computer on my Windows mobile 5.0 of i-mate company, model no. SP3.

I needed one more help is that how to set mp3 format files as ringtones. I have tried it by copying mp3 format files in the "Sound's" folder, which is in the "Application data" folder.

Guest jim.mason
It is something to do with the corporate server. Your set up includes an ISA server acting as a proxy on the network and for some reason your pc cannot pass on the web connection over the Activesync IP connection to the device.

Fair enough, but why is it that when I connect my Qtek S110 this has no porblems whatsoever :)

Cheers

Jim

Guest jimbouk

As I mentioned above, do you have a firewall that may be blocking the device (try adding the device or its activesync IP address of 169.254.2.1 (I think? - check in your network connections) to the firewalls allowed list. Otherwise, your connection settings in your device are screwy.

Guest jim.mason
As I mentioned above, do you have a firewall that may be blocking the device (try adding the device or its activesync IP address of 169.254.2.1 (I think? - check in your network connections) to the firewalls allowed list. Otherwise, your connection settings in your device are screwy.

Tried disabling firewall and still no joy.

Settings: -

Active Sync on PC

Connect via USB - checked

This computer is connected to - auto

Pocket PC

Under Settings, Connections, Connections, General tab I have the following: -

My ISP - Add new modem connection or manage existing connection.

Under manage I have 1 entry called Mobile Web (mobile.02.co.uk) which has all the relevant settings filled in

My Work Network - Add a new modem connection; Add a new VPN connection; Set up my proxy server or Manage existing connections.

Under manage I have 1 entry called 02 Active (wap.02.co.uk) with all the relevant settings. VPN tab is empty and nothing is checked on the proxy tab.

Under Connections, advanced tab, select networks - Top box has 'MY ISP' selected; bottom box has 'My Work network' selected.

Another thought is the IP address listed under the firewall for AS is in a completely different range to my work IP address - could this be a problem????

Hope this helps!!

Jim

Guest jim.mason
Tried disabling firewall and still no joy.

Settings: -

Active Sync on PC

Connect via USB - checked

This computer is connected to - auto

Pocket PC

Under Settings, Connections, Connections, General tab I have the following: -

My ISP - Add new modem connection or manage existing connection.

Under manage I have 1 entry called Mobile Web (mobile.02.co.uk) which has all the relevant settings filled in

My Work Network - Add a new modem connection; Add a new VPN connection; Set up my proxy server or Manage existing connections.

Under manage I have 1 entry called 02 Active (wap.02.co.uk) with all the relevant settings. VPN tab is empty and nothing is checked on the proxy tab.

Under Connections, advanced tab, select networks - Top box has 'MY ISP' selected; bottom box has 'My Work network' selected.

Another thought is the IP address listed under the firewall for AS is in a completely different range to my work IP address - could this be a problem????

Hope this helps!!

Jim

:) SORTED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Bloody O2 connection manager that was pre-installed is the problem

Opened this up and it put a little O2 logo on the top bar. Click on this and it gives you various options on how to connect - one of which is USB. Clicked that and everything is fine now.

Guest jimbouk
:) SORTED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Bloody O2 connection manager that was pre-installed is the problem

Opened this up and it put a little O2 logo on the top bar. Click on this and it gives you various options on how to connect - one of which is USB. Clicked that and everything is fine now.

Cool! You shouldnt worry about the IP addresses anyway. The way WM5 and activesync works is that they create a mini-network between the pc and the device (using private IP addresses, starting 169. etc etc).

Guest jim.mason
Cool! You shouldnt worry about the IP addresses anyway. The way WM5 and activesync works is that they create a mini-network between the pc and the device (using private IP addresses, starting 169. etc etc).

:( ;) :D :) Damm and blast, worked fine ONCE now still getting the same problems. I might try doing a corportate install and adding all the connections manually or will probably contact O2 support first as I'm abit miffed about having had to do a couple of hard resets in the last few days.

Cheers

Guest jim.mason
:( ;) :D :) Damm and blast, worked fine ONCE now still getting the same problems. I might try doing a corportate install and adding all the connections manually or will probably contact O2 support first as I'm abit miffed about having had to do a couple of hard resets in the last few days.

Cheers

Works fine on my home pc so must be something to do with my work network.

Jim