MoDaCo Summer Event 2006: Hands on with the SPV M3100 (HTC Hermes)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

M3100.jpg

M3100-side.jpg

M3100-open.jpg

Officially unannounced, Orange chose the MoDaCo Summer Event to give the new M3100 - the Orange variant of the HTC Hermes - it's first public outing!

The eagerly anticipated follow up to the hugely successful Wizard - the Orange M3000 variant of which wasn't released in the UK, the M3100 really is as gorgeous in the flesh as everyone had hoped!

The device itself, which features a 400MHz Samsung processor, 2MP camera with flash, much improved keypad, additional Start and OK hardware keys, 3G with Video Calling and HSDPA, is a slightly different variant to the device that HTC are shipping themselves (note oval v square rocker pad), and is definitely the looker of the two.

Despite minimal size difference compared to the Wizard, it feels smaller in the hand and a lot nicer to hold... and is sure to replace my current device-of-choice, the HTC Prophet (iMate JAMin / SPV M600).

Watch this space for a full review coming soon! :)

P

Guest sporkguy

I was all over this one all day, and it felt fantastic in the hand. Definitely feels smaller than the Wizard, even if it technically isnt. Lighter, too.

1 of the 2 on show had a very dodgy keypad on it though - did anyone else notice that?

I'm with Paul on this: my next device of choice :)

Guest Shuflie
Interestingly, I've just heard T-Mo UK are taking the same variant (oval keypad).

Let the wars begin! :)

P

Unless Orange have a last minute rethink of price plans and data access costs I don't think there'll really be much of a contest. Will be considering this one when my contract is up, only problem is I have to wait until october next year, good job my MDA PRO does such a good job. For those times when I really need to carry something smaller about I've got my Motorola A1000 which is still an excellent phone, despite being symbian. For a PDA style phone the battery life is fantastic.

Unless Orange have a last minute rethink of price plans and data access costs I don't think there'll really be much of a contest. Will be considering this one when my contract is up, only problem is I have to wait until october next year, good job my MDA PRO does such a good job. For those times when I really need to carry something smaller about I've got my Motorola A1000 which is still an excellent phone, despite being symbian. For a PDA style phone the battery life is fantastic.

Oooh.... going weak at the knees...

Indeed I think O will need to really pull something amazing out of the bag to stop me/people moving over to T. I've been out of contract on O for a while but am just waiting for one of these new handsets to turn up on T.

Really gutted about not having made it to the event :) ....

Looking forward to seeing some more pics though.

I would like to finaly have a good awnser on the mini vs micro -SD question.

Guessing Micro SD but hoping Mini SD.

Pigo

(indeed a must have judging by the reactions)

Guest jm012a9749
M3100.jpg

*drools* :)

definately getting one of these on T as soon as it comes out, any ideas when theyre bringing it out? although i have to say the orange branding does rather suit it.....

Phil

Guest bronksy
*drools* :)

definately getting one of these on T as soon as it comes out, any ideas when theyre bringing it out? although i have to say the orange branding does rather suit it.....

Phil

Ok.. here's an update...(with my little predictions added!)

M3100 in review slated for July?? release.. read: december2006

C700 in review slated for September release. read: March 2006

SE P990i in review slated for release August. readL January 2007

So i would like the debate to be.. P990i or M3100.. i know we're a little biased here.. but the P990 is pretty.. and about .4mm thinner!!!

Who thinks what??

Guest sameerabedi

I'm just waiting and waiting for this phone.

Was there any official word at the event from Orange whether it would be getting a UK release and also when would it be released?

Guest chucky.egg

I quite like the UIQ OS, but for me the P series is too long in the tooth, and each new version has so few (and tiny) changes from the last one that I resent upgrading.

Of those you listed it'd be the Hermes for me probably, but they are very different devices.

Guest bronksy
I quite like the UIQ OS, but for me the P series is too long in the tooth, and each new version has so few (and tiny) changes from the last one that I resent upgrading.

Of those you listed it'd be the Hermes for me probably, but they are very different devices.

I'm genuinley interested in moving back to SE i kinda liked my P900, but i thought WM was more what i needed.. but i am kinda bored with flakey software and crappy crashes.. Why are they so different?

I really like a keypad to type numbers in and even sms, i find tapping the screen not the best.. no tacktile feedback etc..

So without pulling aprt the OS of each system, I think i genuinely have a dilemma here with which to go for?

Guest Syphon Filter

Definitely going to be picking up a Hermes based device.

That orange one looks amazing...I like the matt black and the nice chromed buttons. I wonder if the HTC TyTN will look as sexy? At the moment it looks kind of toyish compared to the Orange branded one.

Do Orange sell devices offline to people? Or with contract only? Has anyone seen a T-Mobile version of the device yet?

Hrm...the waiting is going to kill me!!

Guest bronksy

I dont think the wait will be too long. I'm not sure if i'm done with Windows Mobile or not. I do think the P990 looks fab.

Does anyone know the pros and cons of the new symbian over WM5.

What about Mac support? Which fairs better?

Guest Dr Who

Anyone skilled enough to do a photo mockup of the Hermes next to a C500 to give an idea of scale. I really, really like the look of this fella, especially on Tmob. I would like to replace my C500 but if this is too big I will have to use both depending on what I'm up to.

Guest bronksy

As far as i have worked out the dimensions are pretty similar, if anything the P990 is .4mm thinner than the Hermes. I assume this is measured with teh flip attached.

IMHO the P990 has very much got the design edge, over the traditional PDA look of the Hermes. I'm just not sure if i'm done with Windows Media and fancy a change.

Anyone got any Mac experience with syncing Windows media Vs Symbian handsets??

Guest bronksy
I saw some fairly poor comments on a preproduction P990 a while back. If you can get your head round the translating it is here.

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyer...n-p990-en.shtml

I have seen this.. I think it's a double edged sword.. I know whichever one I choose I'll want the other one. I just am drawn by design.. i'm a fashion whore probably!

Guest matho

Hi!

Great site - I've been lurking for a while but have been following the news on this phone with interest and am seriously thinking about getting one!

Do we know yet whether this phone will support Line 2? I've got a work M2000 on Orange (obviously!) and a personal P910i on Vodafone and would be tempted to move my personal contract to Orange if I can get both lines working on the one handset...

Was their any info from Orange on this at the meet?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.