Photo

Your opinion counts: Mobile Development Tutorial for beginners

* * * - - 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: MoDaCo Developer Tutorial (162 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you be interested in a MoDaCo Developer Tutorial?

1. Yes! (157 votes [96.91%])

Percentage of vote: 96.91%

2. No! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Maybe... (5 votes [3.09%])

Percentage of vote: 3.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

MPXtricky

MPXtricky

Rayman Rules!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S2 4.0.3
Paul

Definitely up for this. I've just been moved away from *nix and 3rd party apps into the web development team and mobile apps are on the list which means I get to play with all the new gadgets yeeee ha.

Ok, at some point I'd like an app to let me link to a server and then access other databases from there. And another server app which can link to the PPC/phone and wipe of all info if it ever get's stolen (like that ever happens :))

Like some others here, C# is what I'm being trained in but happy to use VB too

Cheers

Tricky

CaptainZok

CaptainZok

Lurking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Devices:MDA Pro Lobster 700TV
Last programming i did was spectrum basic so can I still play?
But seriously learning something new sounds like fun.

Posted Image
My Phonography

hoopmaster51890

hoopmaster51890

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Devices:MPX200, MPX220
id be up to that paul, great idea.
peace

NikLP

NikLP

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Devices:Touch HD
  • Twitter:@NikLP

There's always one... :)

P

Make that three, Sir. VB is not up to scratch I feel.

Plus with php, perl etc all being pretty much based on C, it seems a bit pointless trying to convert web app developers (of whom there are many) to VB (which is $%^&).

My $0.02...

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,368 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien

Make that three, Sir. VB is not up to scratch I feel.

You're welcome to express your opinion, but you really should justify it.

Remember, in .net all languages are created equal, and as I can code in VB.net, C#, PHP etc. etc. I think I'm in a good enough position to express my opinion (which I will justify).

VB.net is IMHO the best language for complete beginners, with it's 'english like' syntax, and very good readability.

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

kvl

kvl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Great idea Paul, count me in

Life is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable because all you get back is another box of chocolates. So your stuck with this indefinable whipped mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while there's a Peanut Butter Cup or an English Toffee. But they're gone too fast and the taste is... fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits filled with hardened jelly and teeth-shattering nuts. And if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you got left is an empty box... filled with useless brown paper wrappers.

Jamma14

Jamma14

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Devices:T-Mo Dash

VB.net is IMHO the best language for complete beginners, with it's 'english like' syntax, and very good readability.

I totally agree, to all the anti-VBers I can totally understand where you're coming from but considering this is a beginner tutorial I would say VB is the way to go - it's easier for people without programming experience to pick up and even easier for everyone who does have some experience whether used to C style languages or not. It is still imho still the easiest .net to use for simple applications and if people want to migrate to using C# or whatever after that's fine but I think VB would be better to get people into programming and using VS.net for the first time.

James

Edited by Jamma14, 21 July 2006 - 08:24 PM.

www.JammaSoft.tk

SPV e100 ----> i-mate sp3i ----> SPV c550 ----> T-Mobile Dash

nickcornaglia

nickcornaglia

Blackjack'd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,251 posts
  • Devices:iPhone5
  • Twitter:@nickcornaglia
Okay 113 Yes's.
When do we start?

-Nick

loki_f

loki_f

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Devices:MDA Compact IV
make that 114 :) I know a little coding in .NET so that would be my platform of choice, not bothered about the language but for the greatest accessibility I would suggest VB.NET...

Smartphone History
Orange SPX1 Prototype > Orange SPV E100 > Orange SPV E200 > Orange SPV C500 > iMate SP3i > O2 XDA Mini S > Qtek 8310 >
Qtek 8500 > Samsung i600 > T-Mobile MDA Touch Plus > T-Mobile MDA Compact IV

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,368 posts
I'm going to do the sensible thing and rustle up the app and the first few days of posts, then we'll get cracking.

It'll probably be the second week of August!

Still not 100% sure on what exactly the app will do!

:)

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Posted Image

w411y

w411y

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • Devices:SPV M1500 & SPV C550

Still not 100% sure on what exactly the app will do!

P

Skin extra screens ;)

Another app I'd like is to pause a video and then resume video-ing. Or an app that will string two or more videos together with some simple transition effects or something, like on the W810i

nickcornaglia

nickcornaglia

Blackjack'd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,251 posts
Here are some easy app ideas:
1) Tip Calculator
2) Battery/Signal Line (like the one from SPB PocketPlus at the top of the screen)
3) Simple Alarm App
4) Simple Stopwatch
5) Messaging menu add-in to erase all mails in a current folder or to empty the trash from anywhere
6) An app that will send data to an XML file that can be pushed to a webserver. (Mood, Manually entered location, any data)
7) An app that will show all open processes with the option to end them

Anything like these? Simplier? More Difficult?

-Nick

nickcornaglia

nickcornaglia

Blackjack'd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,251 posts
Speaking of #6, it would be cool to create an app that interacts with Modaco directly. Data can be sent from the phone to Modaco where it is appended to your profile. Data could be shown under the avatar or within your signature.

My Mood. (Angry, Bitter, Disgruntled, Sad, Depressed, oh and I guess Happy too!)
My Current Location. (Home, Work, The Beach, Skiing, Mount Laurel, NJ, etc)

Or maybe some other way to directly interact with Modaco. Photo Gallery/Blog Entries, etc.

My point is, this may be a good opportunity to tie an interface that interacts from Modaco directly to the Smartphone. It is a Modaco training session...may as well make it work for Modaco.

-Nick

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,368 posts
All good suggestions Nick, could easily add a Mood: field like the Device: field, and have it updated from an app we write :)

1 feels quite appealing...

Of course, we can start with one app, and if people are liking the tutorials, just keep doing more ;)

P (/me is making work for himself methinks, lol!)

Posted Image

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,368 posts
The Tip Convertor could work well, first a simple app that displays 10% of an inputted number, then add a drop down of countries with the percentages stored away, then maybe a currency convertor etc. etc.

Thoughts?

P

Posted Image

nickcornaglia

nickcornaglia

Blackjack'd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,251 posts
Come to think of it...anything that interacts with Modaco may not be the best idea security-wise for Modaco. You'd probably need to add DB log-in information to the app so the data could be added/changed. Unless you did this on the server side. If that's the case, we'd be adding more work on your side, then people wouldn't get the feel of writing the app from beginning to end as there would be a part they wouln't see. But that's would be PBP/MySQLDB anyway which is out of the scope of this anyway.

Also....10% ??!!
15-20% here unless you want a dirty look and spit in your food next time you visit! :)

-Nick

nickcornaglia

nickcornaglia

Blackjack'd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,251 posts
If Tip Calculator....

A= Bill Amount:
B= Percentage of Tip:
C= Amount of Tip: (AxB)
D= Total Bill: (A+C)
E= Number of People:
F= Price Each: (D/E)

-Nick

PayableOnDeath

PayableOnDeath

CompTIA A+ Certified

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire Z, T-Mobile G1

Come to think of it...anything that interacts with Modaco may not be the best idea security-wise for Modaco. You'd probably need to add DB log-in information to the app so the data could be added/changed. Unless you did this on the server side. If that's the case, we'd be adding more work on your side, then people wouldn't get the feel of writing the app from beginning to end as there would be a part they wouln't see. But that's would be PBP/MySQLDB anyway which is out of the scope of this anyway.

maybe you could give them the "server side" code without the DB info so they would see that part, and could use it on there own sites to see it working fully(not linking to modaco's DB)

Also....10% ??!!
15-20% here unless you want a dirty look and spit in your food next time you visit! :)

why pay any % for that, just go to McDonald's and they will throw all that in for free on every visit lol ;)

Phones:
Nokia 5210 > 3210 > 3100 > SPV C500 >O2 XDA1(Only Used in Car For Sat Nav) > MDA Vario > MDA Vario II > T-Mobile G1 > Nokia N900 > HTC Desire Z

FragMeister

FragMeister

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:MDA Compact IV<br />MDA Vario II<br />MDA Compact<br />Original SPV
  • Devices:MDA Compact IV

Surely MS have these already on their site? If they do then why bother reinventing the wheel - just link to them.

I received my July Windows Mobile News email today, and one of the items is:

Rory Does Windows Mobile Development

Rory Blyth, an MSDN Events Presenter, plans to give a series of screencasts on the subject of Windows Mobile Development. In his own words: "I've decided, humble as I am, to try and create the greatest series of screencasts in the entire universe on the subject of Windows Mobile development. I'll probably fail, but that's no big deal. It's just a goal. In this first screencast, I walk you through the creation of a very simple Windows Mobile application, while pointing out some things you Need To Know along the way. Future screencasts in this series will be deeper technical dives, but you gotta start somewhere, eh?

I am SURE that anything M$ do, Paul can do better!!

Edited by FragMeister, 26 July 2006 - 09:30 AM.

Posted Image

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,368 posts

P

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users