HTC Star Trek / SPV F600 / Qtek 8500 SIM/CID Unlocker Now Available!

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest nedge2k
strtrek_small.png

The grand daddy of HTC hacking, Florin, has just let me know that his SIM/CID unlocker for the HTC Star Trek / SPV F600 / Qtek 8500 etc. is now available!

Apart from the obvious benefits of SIM unlocking a device, Florin's unlocker also allows you to unlock the CID, meaning you can load whichever ROM you want on your device! This is especially useful for those of you with the Qtek 8500 who may be having the missed calls problem and want to switch to one of the I-Mate/Dopod ROMs which don't have this problem.

For more information or to buy this unlocker (

I've gone to the site, and from looking at the screenshots - there is nothing that really indicates CID unlocking. SIM unlocking is fine for those who need it, but is there any other definitive indication of CID unlocking?

Guest fluffcat1
I've gone to the site, and from looking at the screenshots - there is nothing that really indicates CID unlocking. SIM unlocking is fine for those who need it, but is there any other definitive indication of CID unlocking?

How's about, errr, coz he says so?.....

What is it with people and wanting 'proof'? I remember all the people moaning and b1tching when Linux was ported to the typhoon - look at the previous accomplishments by Florin, there's your proof. :)

Richard

How's about, errr, coz he says so?.....

What is it with people and wanting 'proof'? I remember all the people moaning and b1tching when Linux was ported to the typhoon - look at the previous accomplishments by Florin, there's your proof. :)

Richard

I'm not doubting that it's possible or not, but if I'm going to throw down some cash to do something like this, I'd like to at least get confirmation it will do what I am aiming to do (as the website doesn't really mention CID unlocking, just SIM).

And as a potential customer, I have a right to inquire about the services rendered. Basic rules of business.

Guest nedge2k

Here's your proof:

nedge2k.com - umbongo? ubuntu? :) says (21:44): it includes cid unlock too yeh?

www.imei-check.co.uk says (21:44): yep ;)

I'll remind him to mention it on his site tomorrow.

Guest DarkJedi

i don't care how big his reputation is, i am NOT spending $40 USD for something that is COMPLETELY free. this guy has been a rip off for ages and still continues to do so. do yourself a favor, save yourself $40 and wait for the free version which is actually complete just waiting to be packaged!

Guest nedge2k

well, i know both Zone and Florin so i'm not going to speculate on this or that but i will say that Florin has a reputation for a reason and the more people bitch and moan about how his services cost, the more he doesn't want to help them.

oh and btw, if further proof were needed about the CID unlocking...check the title of the unlocker page! All of Florin's unlockers have always unlocked the CID, as a bonus.

Guest awarner (MVP)
i am NOT spending $40 USD for something that is COMPLETELY free.

Until someone else actually manages to do this for free, your statement is false and shouting it does not make it any more valid. :)

For an example apart from people buying codes from Motorola, the MPX220 can only be SIM unlocked by imei-check so if a similar SIM lock method has been used then you may have a long wait.

What you have to remember is the unlocking fee is not only used to cover the costs of buying these devices and the risks involved in killing them, you are also paying for a service that has full customer support.

It all depends how desperate you are to SIM unlock and if you feel confident in using a possible "free" manual method, some people are not as technically minded.

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Until someone else actually manages to do this for free, your statement is false and shouting it does not make it any more valid. :)

For an example apart from people buying codes from Motorola, the MPX220 can only be SIM unlocked by imei-check so if a similar SIM lock method has been used then you may have a long wait.

What you have to remember is the unlocking fee is not only used to cover the costs of buying these devices and the risks involved in killing them, you are also paying for a service that has full customer support.

It all depends how desperate you are to SIM unlock and if you feel confident in using a possible "free" manual method, some people are not as technically minded.

Sorry awarner I disagree in the main. This site is a community, the smartphone 'movement' is still a community really, and good people like Zone and the rest of SPV-Developers do all this and more for free, for the obvious massive benefit of the community. Florin not only charges a crazy fee of

Guest nickcornaglia

Early on, I was throwing $40 to Florin left and right to unlock every new SPV I bought. Now you can buy unlocked phones, but a new need has come up to unlock the CID on the StrTrk to be able to replace the QTEK ROM with a working version.

Florin took the time to make an unlocker not only for the CID, but to unlock future versions of the StrTrk, like TMobile's version or Orange's version when/if they arrive on the market.

With FREE versions of the same tools being available, or soon to become available, I personally believe $40 to be on the high side these days. I think he'd get more bites with $20 just for his speed of release of these apps.

Florin has a right to charge for anything he makes. Users have the freedom to pay for it now...or wait for a free version when available.

And Modaco has the right to report ANY news it sees fit for the front page.

The people who DON'T have the right are those who will sell these services (both free versions and pay versions) as third party unlocker's on EBAY. I thought I'd throw that in...THEY should be shot!. :)

See a need, fill a need (Mr. Bigweld). Florin's serices have been invaluable to me in the past. But free is always better! ;) As of this very minute, there is no alternative available. So if you are in THAT much of a hurry, pay now or wait for Zone's free version (which I'm told is imminent). And maybe you'll want to paypal donate some $ to Zone for that service too.

I understand everyone's thoughts about community, a why things should be free. Be free doesn't pay for everyone's bills nor buy new phones. Pay now so you can stop b*tching about your phones not working TODAY. Or wait a bit more for a free version. Which could be tomorrow. A few days. A few weeks. We'll never really know.

Guest peekie

A good example i use florin is the C600 with the latest update , as the only way to unlock it is to change the rom to a SP5 one to use spv services app to simunlock and cid unlock and then re flush it with the orange one ( should you want it back. i used the florin method and orange dev for the application lock all done within an hour leaving the phone as it was when i first got it. It comes down to choice really if you want to pay you get a phone unlocked without any hassle if you use the free method and something goes wrong you cant blame zone or the spv dev forum as you choose that method :)

Guest fluffcat1
And as a potential customer, I have a right to inquire about the services rendered. Basic rules of business.

Basic rule of politeness - someone says something can be done, you believe them....

If CID unlocking had never been specifically mentioned anywhere I could understand you asking, but as it has been in the leading post, by someone close to the development process, your asking for 'proof' is akin to a slap in the face IMO.

Personally I don't need to CID unlock my 8500, and as I am on Orange anyway I am not too bothered about sim unlocking so can wait for the free apps to appear in 6 months to a year after release ( Universal unlocker anyone?) and be tested by other guinea pigs, but it's like JAFwm, for certain people this service is invaluable. The whole point of locked phones is that they are subsidised i.e CHEAPER, and for all those too cheap to pay for it, buy yourself a more expensive phone on the correct network for your own use in the first place (or even sim-free) rather than get a network subsidised HTC device and moan about things 'not being in the spirit of the community' becuase you can't unlock it for free. :)

Richard

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Basic rule of politeness - someone says something can be done, you believe them....

Basic rule of common effing sense! - someone says something can be done on the net, you dont believe them until its proved or backed up....

Guest awarner (MVP)

At the end of the day it's good news that an unlock solution has been created.

Not everything in life is free and it's a simple matter of supply and demand.

Now lets get back on topic about the unlock rather than just moan that it's not free.

When a free solution is made then it will be reported here.

Guest fluffcat1
Basic rule of common effing sense! - someone says something can be done on the net, you dont believe them until its proved or backed up....

So Nedge2k or Florin's reputation means nothing then? Berlimey what a nice thing to write on a public board..

As I have previously said, anyone else saying this and yes, you'd be correct to be wary of claims, but you obviously don't know what Florin has achieved in the past or trust Nedge2k's word. I do.

Richard

Guest nickcornaglia

I do need repeat that Florin's rep has been impecable. He has always helped those who were having trouble and stands behind his product and in the past has always made himself available, even on IRC Chat, to answer any questions.

You have the choice to pay or wait for something else. Unless he raped your cat or something terrible like that...try to be respectful of others.

So Nedge2k or Florin's reputation means nothing then? Berlimey what a nice thing to write on a public board..

As I have previously said, anyone else saying this and yes, you'd be correct to be wary of claims, but you obviously don't know what Florin has achieved in the past or trust Nedge2k's word. I do.

Richard

Obviously some of us don't. And that is my point - it wasn't obivous from the website that the services were being rendered from (it is now) which is why I asked. I didn't ramble on and on about PROOF, I was asking for clarification because the original screenshots only seemed to indicate SIM unlocking.

Also, you talk about basic politeness, and that is true for donated or FREE tools. HOWEVER -- when someone begins to charge for a service - this crosses the line into BUSINESS -- and there is nothing wrong with a potential customer asking for clarification (or proof as you put it) that a service does what it is supposed to do.

Again - if people are donating to the community, I agree 100% that you should give them the benefit of the doubt and it you don't like it, tough. But as I mentioned before, when you are charging a fee for this, the buyer has a right to be clear about what they are purchasing, and not just rely on the words of some folks on a forum that say "I know what they've done... and yada yada." The reference is appreciated, but doesn't excuse the right for people to start flaming someone who (1) may not have all that much experience with these types of services - who I believe are the prime candidates for this paid service, and (2) asks a legitmate question because the website was not clear.

People are free to charge for their hard work, it's a free market. And I as a buyer have the right to choose whether or not to purchase. This may be a moot point now that the website has been updated to clarify that CID is also included -- but I wanted to make a point to those who felt like flaming because a potenital customer had a legitmate question about something that wasn't clear ON THE WEBSITE.

Guest Zone-MR

With itsme we have had a working CID and SIMLock removal solution for the STRTrk for over a fortnight.

As very few of these devices are SIMLocked and there is little difference between operator ROMs we have not rushed to release this, however we are planning to have a free service up and running in the next few days. So unless you are in a huge hurry - it's probably worth the wait.

Guest mcwarre

@pinoymut

If you were unsure of the service provided why didn't you ask imei check themselves rather than this forum? If you are not sure what service is being provided by a business ask the business.......... ;)

Mods can someone put some perspective / lock this as there is a lot of flaming going on. Not that I would know anything about that :)

Guest nickcornaglia

After getting 5 voicemails at once today (that I never received one incoming call for)....I couldnt take it anymore.

$38.10....quick transaction. Immediate response with my key.

Unlocked very quickly.

Downloaded the imate Smartflip rom and installed just fine.

Now just to see if the missed calls problem goes away.

But now you know the CID unlocker works.

@pinoymut

If you were unsure of the service provided why didn't you ask imei check themselves rather than this forum? If you are not sure what service is being provided by a business ask the business.......... ;)

Mods can someone put some perspective / lock this as there is a lot of flaming going on. Not that I would know anything about that :)

Point taken. Cheers! :D

Guest DarkJedi

i love how people say nothing in life is free; yet ironically, things ARE free!!! having him charge less would equal less people bitching about the cost. from the sound of it, he's just in it for the money, and doesn't really care about the community, unlike sites like spv-developers, or xda-developers.

Guest nickcornaglia

Or this site...or Howard forums...or countless other forums....

filled with thousands of people willing to help those with questions out of the goodness of their heart. He has the right to offer it for a charge. Zone has the right to offer it for free. We have the right to pay or not pay...there are trade-offs to both.

Please leave it at that and make this a happy place to visit. I believe my phone is fixed now...and that's the point of the CID unlocker...whether you paid for it or not.