Quick guide to GPS on Wizard

Guest nforsans

Guest nforsans

Hi all

I am interested in the gps thing, but I am new to all this - can anyone give me a quick guide to what I should know about and what I should need to make my Wizard (and my Hermes/TyTN when it is released) GPS-enabled?

I am confused by all the various softs tom tom, route 66, etc. and all the GPS receivers. I suppose I need both a receiver and maps as the wizard does not include a GPS receiver. Which are the best hardware and software? And then, how does it work? via GPRS? In which case, an all-u-can eat data plan is necessary.

Please help / point me to the right place.

Cheers

Edited by nforsans

Guest CaptainZok

Hi

firstly you need a GPS receiver, bluetooth is probably the easiest, then you need the navigation software.

GPRS isnt necessary unless you want to use the traffic/weather service with tomtom. Ive never tried it myself but I think its subscription based.

Bluetooth receivers are plentiful and cheap try a search on ebay.

Software is a matter of choice, I use tomtom myself and it does what I need it to quite well.

Then its just a matter of paring the bluetooth receiver, installing tomtom and getting the two talking to each other and you'll find a few threads on doing that if you have any problems.

Hope that helps you.

Guest nforsans
Hi

firstly you need a GPS receiver, bluetooth is probably the easiest, then you need the navigation software.

GPRS isnt necessary unless you want to use the traffic/weather service with tomtom. Ive never tried it myself but I think its subscription based.

Bluetooth receivers are plentiful and cheap try a search on ebay.

Software is a matter of choice, I use tomtom myself and it does what I need it to quite well.

Then its just a matter of paring the bluetooth receiver, installing tomtom and getting the two talking to each other and you'll find a few threads on doing that if you have any problems.

Hope that helps you.

Yes it does - thanks for this.

Are all GPS receivers the same, or are there specific features I should look for?

Guest travisb
Yes it does - thanks for this.

Are all GPS receivers the same, or are there specific features I should look for?

No, make sure you go for the latest type of receiver - SiRFStarIII. You can stick these in the glove box (does anyone actually put gloves in them any more? :) ) and they'll still pick up a satellite.

Can I point you in the direction of pocket gps world, it's by far the best resource for all things GPS, including more reviews than you can shake a stick at.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

Guest hotphil

Don't forget that T-Mobile do deals on the Vario where you get CoPilot GPS receiver and satnav software thrown in for free.

I'd not used GPS stuff before either, but it was very easy - install software, turn on receiver unit, use. Don't have to pair them or anything, it just works.

Guest ahenry
No, make sure you go for the latest type of receiver - SiRFStarIII. You can stick these in the glove box (does anyone actually put gloves in them any more? :) ) and they'll still pick up a satellite.

Can I point you in the direction of pocket gps world, it's by far the best resource for all things GPS, including more reviews than you can shake a stick at.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

I bought CoPilot 6 (see http://www.alk.eu.com ) with my MDA Vario. T-Mobile have cheap offers if you buy it when you buy the Vario. I don't know if you can get a cheaper price if you buy it later.

The good bits about it are that you get a program for your desktop computer, which has street level maps for the whole of Europe. You can spend another

i just bought a AmbiCom Bluetooth GPS [ebay.com] reciver off ebay and will be tryinging out with Tom Tom. Wasn't too bad, paid under $70 USD for it now when i get it we will see how well it works. : :)

Edited by pdtp

Guest nforsans
i just bought a AmbiCom Bluetooth GPS [ebay.com] reciver off ebay and will be tryinging out with Tom Tom. Wasn't too bad, paid under $70 USD for it now when i get it we will see how well it works. : :)

please let us know how it goes. happy man?

Got email notifiaction saying that the reciver was shipped will be about a week before i get it (coming from TW) as long as it doesnt get held up in costoms (another 7-21 days ontop of the week).

• 2 weeks later...
please let us know how it goes. happy man?

ok just got it today and after about 10 min (after i installed TomTom) the thing worked flawlessly i am very happy with my purchase!! the think picks up sats in just a few secs and came with a wall usb charger and a car usb charger i am very happy with this purchase!! : :) ;) :D

Guest nforsans
ok just got it today and after about 10 min (after i installed TomTom) the thing worked flawlessly i am very happy with my purchase!! the think picks up sats in just a few secs and came with a wall usb charger and a car usb charger i am very happy with this purchase!! : :) ;) :D

great - thanks.

I'll have a look at it.

• 4 weeks later...