A Rant about HTC

Guest gavingovinden

Guest gavingovinden

Why do they keep changing fcuking memory card formats! I keep having to bloody buy a new card every time get a phone from these people. Mini SD from my C500 to SD for my M500 now micro bloody sodding SD for the M3100. STOP IT YOU FREAKS! GRRRRRR...........

Guest Palindrome

I agree. At first I though, oh well, the M3100 uses MicroSD but at least I can justify upgrading to a 4GB MicroSD card and use my SanDisk 2GB as a flash drive. Only problem is I can't find anything larger than 1GB MicroSD. And I can't even use my existing 2GB SD card until someone release a larger MicroSD.

I suppose that the smaller the card is, the more features can be squeezed onto the device. If I had to choose between WIFI with a microSD slot or just a SD slot without having built in WIFI it would be MicroSD all the way.

Guest Xenzo1990

Because ofcourse HTC devices are already amoungst the most power hungry. No, the reason they change memory cards is to keep the memory card market growing. I cant see a huge difference especially in pocket pcs of putting a sd/minisd/microsd in. Its very annoying agreed but its all about money.

Guest awarner (MVP)

The newer formats are less power hungry which give you a better battery life, unless you want to go back to the E200 days when 24hrs was good.

Guest fluffcat1
Because ofcourse HTC devices are already amoungst the most power hungry. No, the reason they change memory cards is to keep the memory card market growing. I cant see a huge difference especially in pocket pcs of putting a sd/minisd/microsd in. Its very annoying agreed but its all about money.

Unless HTC made memory cards I can't see how they'd benefit. I can see how a full size SD slot on the HTC StrTrk would look out of place and pose some packaging issues though. Horses for courses. I would find a standardized 'one size fits every device' micro SD a pain to use with a PPC as well. The Wizard with it's external mini SD slot is a pain to eject cards from also with my less-than-delicate fingers.

Richard

Guest Xenzo1990

Yeah. I can imagine with the smaller cards and big fingers :) Yeah, but changing cards helps carriers. For example - Orange retail memory cards to people who choose not to pick them up cheeply from MobyMemory. Or perhaps HTC are evil people who want to see people spend money? I can't see size issues. The card readers in the devices aren't massively different in size.

Guest Wozbacca

just a side comment but i thought the m3100 had changed its format to minisd when it increased the cpu from 300 to 400mhz... i havent seen anything confirmed, ie pics of the slot or what ever...

miniSD is small enough, i feel like the microsd is to fragile...

im getting all excited about the m3100... it seems to be the first "complete" all in one device.

I fully understand. had SD on mpx200... then 512mb mini-sd on my C500... then another 512mb added when I changed to te Vario... but needed more room... so finally bought a 2Gb mini Sd.... (so now I have 1 x 2GB & 2 x 512 Mb) and if I change to the Tytn there won't even be a 2GB microSD available yet :)

if they want to keep the market healty. Let them make sure that swithing formats won't be a big loss in storage room.

Pigo

Guest Ingvarr

They have changed it because they have run out of PCB (circuit board) space.

Previous generation (wizard/tornado) used OMAP chip with integrated GSM.

Now they have to use separate processor / UMTS chipset.

They had to slightly enlarge the device, but that was not enough to accomodate increased number of chips, so they had to switch to even smaller SD card format, and also eliminated separate audio jack.

Remember, Universal was first UMTS device, and remember of what size it was.

BTW due to increased amount of chips, less intergration and more power-hungry processor battery life was reduced nevertheless (almost 1.5x times compared to previous generation).

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest Ingvarr

Why they did switch processors?

1) a lot of people complained for "slow 200 MHz processor". Now they got 400 Mhz one, but for a price of more power consumption.

2) currently there is no suitable single chip that will have joint 3G/UMTS and CPU inside, like OMAP did for GSM/EDGE. So they had to use separate UMTS chipset and separate processor, and from separate processors Samsung one is not a bad choice.

Thats just a payment for increased features. More features - more power hungry. Since battery lifetime was basically decreased to how it was with Magician/S100/S110 (and they are still popular), it was considered acceptable.

But of course, if you dont need 3G so much, and prefer battery lifetime over processor max speed - just stay with Wizard/Tornado, it will save you a lot of money :)

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest Ingvarr

Maybe. I didnt say sticking miniSD into it was impossible. Hovewer it does not mean it was as good as with microSD.

For example, since he didnt see internals of it, we cannot be sure, that, for example miniSD version had to have smaller internal antenna, and so signal quality was poorer that of microSD version, etc.

It seems that in the end it was decided to stick with microSD - for not one major, but several minor reasons (smaller size - easier on PCB, less power consumption and new aggressively promoted standard).

I dont like it myself. In fact I dont like at all the current industry tendency that a "good" device have to have all possible features crammed into it, leaving you virtually with no choice but to buy an expensive and "fad" swiss knife, while you would need more specific and classical instrument for your specific needs.

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest danwatson1974

It is mildly annoying that whenever I replace a device, I have to replace the external memory as well ... however, I find that the technology of memory cards is progressing at such a speed that I would probably want to replace it anyway due to the bigger amounts of memory available . For example, when I had my C500, the 256MB Mini SD was one of the biggest around . When I upgraded to my M500, I didn't have to replace it because of compatability ( the M500 takes full size SD ) but, I did want one of the much bigger capacity cards that had become available for less money than I originally paid for my 256 MB card, so I replaced it anyway.

With external memory now retailing at around 2 pence per meg I don't have that much of a problem in upgrading it from time to time.

As to internal HD - I personally wouldn't like this , as it (a) has moving parts, and could break , and (b.) limits the amount of memory you can have and (c.) makes it harder to swap data between 'phones and would probably make data transfer to and from a PC slower than using a card reader.

Cheers,

Dan

Edited by danwatson1974

Guest danwatson1974

The funny thing is that I rarely actually need all of the memory that I buy to put into my 'phone :)

Music goes on my 4GB Samsung YP-Z5 , so the only thing I relly use the memory in my 'phone for is storing pictures that I have taken with the inbuilt camera, the occasional movie , which I can easily get down to somewhere between 256MB and a 1/2 gig, backup of all my contacts etc, and a few word and excel documents!

I think that it's more of a status symbol than anything else ;)

Guest Perfectionist

True ..... but you'll agree that having more memory than you need is a LOT better than having less !!

Anyway, after having Orb revealed to me, (god bless this forum!) I could in reality get by with just the crappy 64Mb builit in RAM ;)

No wait, I still need about half a Gb for TomTom :)

Whatever, www.orb.com ROCKS !!

Edited by Perfectionist

Guest Ingvarr

The official spec says it has EDGE.

Though I wish there would be a similar device, but not designed with intent for 3G... Should be a lot more cheaper without this UMTS chipset and second camera, and easier on battery too...

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest Prosody

Like a number of you I was looking forward to the Hermes / Trion as the next logical upgrade from my Wizard / MiniS. Like a number of you I am also pretty annoyed by the format change which wil render my lovely (almost perfectly sized for my uses) 2Gig MiniSD useless.

I guess I'm lucky that I wont be ready to upgrade till March next year, by then memory card prices will have come down a bit and newer capacities will be released, if itt was upgrade time within the next few months however I'd be giving the Nokia N93 of all things some serious thought. :)

I'll have to wait and see till next year what happens. ;)

Edited by Prosody

Guest Prosody
Iam pretty sure there will be many new devices before that time.

Hopefully, better ;)

I'm sure there will too... to be honest tho I really want one now lol.

Previously I went through a stage of getting a new phone every 6 months (had two contracts running at the same time), that was before Orange slapped me with an