Orange unlimited data?

Guest Wozbacca

Guest Wozbacca

Rumours abound... MoDaCo member Wozbacca called Orange today to ask about the M3100, trying the CS staff lottery and see if anyone knew anything. She said that its still in testing, and should be out before the end of the month.

However, that's not all... i'll let Wozbacca pick up the story...

I also asked about the data bundles and i mentioned that
Edited by Wozbacca

Guest Wozbacca

thought i should add, im an orange premier customer, so it might only be for the peeps paying hefty line rentals, dunno, worth asking tho

Guest magic_peanuts

Can't say much at this stage, but suffice to say, not many Orange customers will be leaving for T-Mobile for a while!

More later...

Guest bugeyes

is this the tarrif??? :-

Orange High Speed Data

Orange have developed a unique High Speed Data Plan that offers reduced data charges. You can send and receive information up to three times faster than standard circuit switched data rates.

monthly charge

Guest danwatson1974
is this the tarrif??? :-

Orange High Speed Data

Orange have developed a unique High Speed Data Plan that offers reduced data charges. You can send and receive information up to three times faster than standard circuit switched data rates.

monthly charge

Guest chucky.egg
Can't say much at this stage, but suffice to say, not many Orange customers will be leaving for T-Mobile for a while!

That's because most of us that wanted flat rate GPRS have already gone to T-Mobile.

And after Orange saying (mis-quotes) "T-mobile are losing huge amounts of money", "It's not sustainable", "The infrastructure costs more to maintain than that"... they finally bite the bullet and match the price (well, almost, being Orange they can't bring themselves to do it quite as well as T)

just checked with orange (spoke to the data team)

and....

(hey I was on hold for ages!)

apart from orange world max@ 80plus quiddies for 1000megs..

they said they know nothing about it.)

To be fair the CSR is going to investigate further and call me back today.

if/when I get an update.....

I'm not saying its wrong/right, but i'll wait and see!

Guest waroffice

This could be interesting....my contract runs out on 5th aug so i was considering going pay as you go till the vario II arives on T-mobiles door mat. but this may make me stay with orange.

/me waits with bated breath

Guest JonnyO

I'm another who is waiting on more information on this. I was going to go to T-mobile when the Vario II was launched but if this is true it might convince me to stay with Orange (after being with Orange for over 10 years!).

Guest JonnyO

More later...

Why the cryptic answer?!!!!

Guest jimbouk

I have been with Orange for about 12 years. I was thinking about going to TMob for the unlimited data - but heard their network coverage was poor.

So was going to stay with Orange anyway - with an spv 3100 and O matching T's flext tariffs - and accepting the data charges would be slightly more (ie

Guest Dr Who

Hmmm, this will put the cat amongst the pigeons if its true. I hope it is true because I may be able to use retentions to get a FlexT price match and decent data tariff on both my mobiles. I would need modem use though!

Edited by Dr Who

Guest hotphil
I have been with Orange for about 12 years. I was thinking about going to TMob for the unlimited data - but heard their network coverage was poor.
It think that's a historical problem - I've certainly not had any more problems than I did with Orange.

Shame they were so slow to look at a move like this - as chucky.egg says, most people who are interested in personal data use have already gone to T-Mobile. I might have stayed with Orange if this deal had been around...

Guest chucky.egg

I've found coverage to be slightly better, but the only way to know is to try it out and see what it's like in the places you go.

Guest spacerace

god I hope this is true, and LONG overdue.... exclusion of modem and MSN use is a pain, but still a lot better than nothing. They may offer modem use later for a slightly higher fee

Guest spacerace
This would make my 3G data card much more useful if they'd allow modem usage

I think they're referring to using a mobile phone AS a modem on a PDA or laptop (tethering). If you put the SIM straight in a data card I'm not sure how they would view that ? I can't see how they can actually tell in either case, except for the presumbably much greater data throughput of a laptop using GPRS/3G

Guest Wozbacca

haha, patches o'hoolahan! genius...

as for the tarrif....,

i do think the messenger thing is very wierd... i did ask CS to confirm about this but it is true apparently...

what whould happen if you installed agile messenger or something i dont know.

how can the tell the difference between the traffic types, and why arent they more bothered about shoutcast internet/mp3 radio rather than text instant messaging!?

Guest spacerace
Nice Avatar spacerace, where did you get that from? :)

Not sure if you're actually asking (?) but it's a screengrab from the film Dodgeball, which (sadly) brings me to tears of laughter...

Guest jayz1220

Hey Everyone,

I just called orange, and the CS rep put me through to the data team, who promptly said that there was no

Edited by jayz1220

Guest spacerace
i do think the messenger thing is very wierd... i did ask CS to confirm about this but it is true apparently...

what whould happen if you installed agile messenger or something i dont know.

how can the tell the difference between the traffic types, and why arent they more bothered about shoutcast internet/mp3 radio rather than text instant messaging!?

I agree, it's crazy. However it's also something T-Mobile stipulate as an exclusion so it's obviously something the networks have got worked up about. If they really wanted to they could tell by the traffic type, although with newer versions of IM auto negotiating firewalls by hopping onto Port 80 this would require increasingly greater levels of scrutiny. I would assume they are referring to any brand of instant messaging service, and the more cynical side of me feels it's really aimed at IM services that offer VOIP routing....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.